z

Young Writers Society

Sureal Tiptoeing into the World of Short Story Publishing

798 Reviews

Reviews: 798
Tue Apr 24, 2007 9:20 am
Jiggity says...

Kewl, I just recently submitted a piece to a magazine in the U.S--Strange Horizons I think it was called. Garh but Australia doesn't have any magazines for my writing, they're "temporarily closed" and most of the good mags in U.S require postal submissions only and obviously thats a bit difficult for me hahaha.

Not impossible, but far too difficult for me to be bothered. Anywho, thanks again for those links Sur, and good luck with your own.
Mah name is jiggleh. And I like to jiggle.

"Indecision and terror, thy name is novel." - Chiko

252 Reviews

Reviews: 252
Tue Apr 24, 2007 10:47 am
Insomnia says...

Grats on getting those published Sureal! :o That's pretty cool. I had one story published last year in this book, so I know how good it feels. ;)

Umm, just on the note of those copyright problems - is it illegal to post stories that are published/could be published? Because the story that I have on here is the one that my tutor said he'd try to get published. You've got me a bit worried now lol.

Sorry about making that a bit of a me rant. The point of that post was just meant to congratulate you... I tend to ramble a bit lol

506 Reviews

Reviews: 506
Tue Apr 24, 2007 12:21 pm
View Likes
Sureal says...

YWS doesn't actually ask for any particular copyrights like some sites do (eg. www.writing.com) so you probably don't need to worry. But, just to be on the safe side, if it does get published, you may want to consider removing it from the site.
I wrote the above just for you.

252 Reviews

Reviews: 252
Tue Apr 24, 2007 12:59 pm
Insomnia says...

Thanks for that. I was panicking a bit lol. Do you know if I could get writing magazines and things like that from New Zealand?

Edit: Sorry, I have no idea why you would know that lol. So you can leave that question. ;)

506 Reviews

Tue Apr 24, 2007 1:06 pm
Sureal says...

http://www.duotrope.com/index.aspx and select 'New Zealand' from under countries.

506 Reviews

Mon May 28, 2007 9:21 pm
Sureal says...

Recieved an email from Michael Gasson (editor of Delivered), informing me that my short story 'Afterlife' will be appearing in the June edition of Delivered. He accepted the story ages ago, so I decided to have a quick look back at it.

Ick. 'tis a terrible story, full of punctutation errors and poor writing. Heck, there's even a tense change in the second paragraph! Still, checking Delivered's duotrope page, it looks as though they have a 80% acceptance rate. What the 20% rejected are like, I don't want to imagine.

In other news, I've sent another short, Crawford (the first draft of which was posted on here for a short while) to Fantasy Magazine. Don't really expect them to accept it, but still, one can hope. ;)

As Forgotten Worlds never got back to me, I'm assuming they've rejected Differences in Opinion. I'm currently editting it, and rather heavily too - there are so many problems with it that I hadn't noticed before. Once I'm done with it, I'll probably send it off to AlienSkin Magazine, and try my luck with them again.

Random avatar

Reviews: 61
Mon May 28, 2007 10:25 pm
View Likes
BrokenSword says...

Very interesting. I also plan on publishing short stories at some point, maybe to help make a few extra bucks while I am in college. I don't have enough experience or time to write a novel, but I have a load of short stories.

506 Reviews

Wed May 30, 2007 7:47 pm
Sureal says...

Finished editting Differences in Opinion, and sent it off to the sci-fi webzine Fusion Fragment. They seem to have a really fast reply rate, at just over a week, which is good. Sitting around and waiting for the reply is the worst bit.

506 Reviews

Fri Jun 08, 2007 10:19 pm
View Likes
Sureal says...

Some mixed news for today.

First off, got a reply from Fusion Fragment. Tis just a standard form rejection. Ah well. Although this does have slight upside: my success rate is now 40%, so Duotrope Digest no longer thinks I'm lying, and uses my results for statistics, rather than excluding them.

In brighter news, I got my free copy of Delivered today. Glancing at it, I have to say that the editor did an excellent job of cleaning up all the stupid punctuation errors I made. I still refuse to read my story though - I thought it was good when I wrote it (like, 6 months ago), but can't stand it now.

Does anybody else passive-aggressively refresh the page to see if anything you said made it into the quote generator?
— GrandWild