z

Young Writers Society

*Grumbles*

152 Reviews

Reviews: 152
Sun Mar 09, 2008 2:39 am
Rubric says...

*Looks around speculatively*

Wow it looks like there are actually of lot of us trying this novel thing....that's a little worrying.

Anyway when I started writing I tried to start it at different points, like I started at the start and at about half-way through and at three quarters the way through my saga so that whenever I ran into a block, I could skip to another thread until it came back.

What I didn't expect was to hit 3-5 writing blocks at the same time...which means I'm just sitting here floundering, wondering why anyone would read this.

Has anyone else found that they can keep making up new places for their character/story to go? I mean this would be escpecially so for sci-fi fantasy because you have to set your own boundaries there, but one of my characters is zig-zagging through time (in my head as I'm not that far on paper yet)....how do you draw a line and say "this far and no further"?

And another thing, whenever I watch a movie or read a book these days it's obvious from about half-way through how it's going to end, because everyone gets their just desserts etc. Does this mean to shake predictability you have to shake moral endings? Maybe I should kill off one of my nice characters, or have a daemon turn good only to be killed out of misunderstanding...

I doubt anyone's bothered to read this far down the page of my rambling but if you have, cheers, and do you have the answers I'm looking for??????

Rubric
So you're going to kill a god. Sure. But what happens next?

Diary of a Deicide, Part One.

Got YWS?

185 Reviews

Reviews: 185
Sun Mar 09, 2008 2:46 am
piepiemann22 says...

Just keep thinking and get all of your idea on paper before anything else.Three years ago i developed an idea for a fantasy like story. At this point I've just started writing it, and I've come to the conclusion it will be at least five books maybe six.

As for where to draw the line, think about your characters and the end result. As long as the action gets you closer to the end that's fine. You just have to make sure it all makes sense and there is a reason behind it.

As for killing good characters, it worked for me in the end for some to die by the end of the series, but be careful and make sure the character fulfilled his/hers purpose.

I hope that helps.
I will always fight back, no matter what.

121 Reviews

Reviews: 121
Sun Mar 09, 2008 6:33 am
Tatra says...

I agree with writing everything that you come up with down. That way you can piece together your ideas, and figure out which ones would fit best with the story your trying to write. Plus, any ideas that you don't use for one story might end up inspiring another story. :D

As for endings, be careful that you don't end up writing something that doesn't fit with the rest of the story in order to be unpredictable. Though, if killing off your good character, or turning your daemon good and then killing him fits in with the story, and doesn't seem too out of character, go for it. :D
Some people fall in love and touch the sky.
Some people fall in love and find Quicksand.

- Incubus

183 Reviews

Reviews: 183
Wed Mar 12, 2008 3:20 pm
LoveableLittleSock says...

I have the same problem!
Ha. Everybody is writing a novel. You can see multiple 13 - 15 year olds asking, "Who is the youngest novellist? Thats MY GOAL!"
But of course, it takes real talent to write a novel. But thats irrelevant.
I have the same exact problem! My character like, refuses to do anything in life. First of all, I wrote the first 10 pages in third person. But now I want to write it in first.. and maybe switch it between two characters.
And to continue, I need to decide on that!!
UGH.
And the movie/book thing is true. You can always tell whats going to happen at the end. But I mean, if you're already half-way through you should keep reading/watching, right?
Got YWS?

People ask if I ever experience writer's block and I just have to laugh... that's my default position.
— Aaron Sorkin