z

Young Writers Society

Would you ever read it??

Random avatar

Reviews: 0
Fri Dec 28, 2007 12:02 pm
lauralegend says...

Basically, I completed my "novel" for national novel writing month in november, finally hitting 50,000 words, and now I'm itching to write again. I've been thinking around and although I don't have an actual plot yet, I'd be interested to find out whether people think I am on the right sort of lines, and whether it's something they would ever consider reading.

The themes I have going with it are adolescents and culture. It's all going to be about how life is really like now, with no frills attatched. Friendship and romances included, and probably the idea of 2 friends going on some sort of trip. I know that it's vague, but I want to kind of incorporate the idea that everyone in the world is scared of eachother, but even more than that they are scared of life. If anyone has seen the film Garden State, that's my kind of idea - the way they scream on the brink of a cliff, cos they just don't know what else to do.

Any feeback would be appreciated.

516 Reviews

Reviews: 516
Tue Jan 01, 2008 12:48 pm
chocoholic says...

I don't like the idea of going away, that isn't my type, but the rest sounds good. Just normal kids growing up.

Yeah, I'd read it, maybe. If it was published I might borrow it from the library, but from what you've told me I wouldn't actually buy it.
*Don't expect to see me around much in the next couple of weeks. School has started again, and it'll be a couple of weeks before I've settled in. If you've asked me for a critique, you will get it, but not for a little while. Sorry*

Random avatar

Reviews: 7
Sat Jan 05, 2008 8:23 pm
blustarr9009 says...

I would totally read it... I can totally see where you're coming from!

~Leanne

25 Reviews

Reviews: 25
Sun Jan 13, 2008 2:20 am
Samantha Eliza says...

(This might be a bit late, XD.)

I would totally read something like that. It seems like an interesting idea, and I LOVELOVELOVE Garden State, so if there's any similarities, I'd probably be in love with it on plot alone. Are you going to post it on here?
"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."
-Dr. Seuss

241 Reviews

Reviews: 241
Sun Jan 13, 2008 2:29 am
lyrical_sunshine says...

My friends and I have an ongoing joke that when we're twenty-one we're going to backpack around Europe...that's what I thought of instantly when you said that lol. So yes, I'd read it now, only because I think of my crazy pals and me hiking around Austria.
“We’re still here,” he says, his voice cold, his hands shaking. “We know how to be invisible, how to play dead. But at the end of the day, we are still here.” ~Dax

Teacher: "What do we do with adjectives in Spanish?"
S: "We eat them!"

602 Reviews

Reviews: 602
Sun Jan 13, 2008 2:40 am
Wolf says...

I would totally read it!

I like the idea of screaming on the brink of a cliff especially. It seems like the kind of thing I'd do...:P

So anyways. I would read it, definitely.
everything i loved
became everything i lost.

Would you like a review?
http://www.youngwriterssociety.com/topic73903.html

115 Reviews

Reviews: 115
Tue Jan 15, 2008 12:55 am
Icaruss says...

I always like books and stories like that... If they're well made. I mean, how many books about teenage angst are made that do not feel the least bit geniune. Also, it depends on how interesting you make your characters. Yeah, you can say that it's about how life is really like but... Many times you'll realize that life, ordinary life, isn't very interesting. Even books about how life isn't interesting, are not really about real life. Writers create their own worlds, as defined by their characters, and their quirks, and paranoias. Also, this kind of idea, the road-trip idea, had been done to death. You have to make your version of this story interesting by putting your own touch.

Like, for example, a fairly recent example of this kind of story is Y Tu Mamá También. That movie does what you want to accomplish perfectly. I suggest you watch it. Alrighty then. Good luck.
there are many problems in our times
but none of them are mine

71 Reviews

Reviews: 71
Tue Jan 15, 2008 1:00 am
Kepe says...

I would read it because it would be interesting to see an authors perspective on modern culture, however it isn't the type of book I would buy, love, or cherish.

The most difficult thing in the world is to know how to do a thing and to watch somebody else doing it wrong, without comment.
— T. H. White