z

Young Writers Society

The infamous desert island post

85 Reviews

Reviews: 85
Tue Jan 11, 2005 10:44 pm
faith says...

ok, I'm stealing this from TYWC...it was quite popular back in its day. i don't remember who came up with it, maybe warthog in a king prawn suit...i'm not sure..just substitute YWS for TYWC.

The scenario: You are trapped on a desert island. There are decent food supplies, and edible native plants and animals and you don't know if you'll be rescued. 5 TYWC members are also stranded on the island.. choose TYWC members to fit the following roles:

1. Someone to have philisophical discussions with as you lie awake listening to the strange noises of the island

2. someone to 'populate' the island with in case you are not rescued and need to propagate future generations.

3. someone to eat in case food supplies run low.

4. someone to collaborate on a bestselling novel with while you wait to be rescued.

5. someone to form a tactical alliance with in case the others turn against you and you have to kill them.

also,

choose 1 book

and 1 CD (i guess you're supposed to assume you have a CD player and unlimited batteries)

and 1 food (i guess you're supposed to assume you have an unlimited supply of this food, which makes no sense, but whatever :roll: )

ehe, ah the memories, this brings me back to good old TYWC days...i'm so glad i found it.. anyway have fun.

594 Reviews

Reviews: 594
Wed Jan 12, 2005 12:26 am
Crysi says...

OOH! This sounds extremely fun.. :twisted:

Instead of typing them all out again, I'm just gonna go by the number lol.

1. Incandescence. He's insanely brilliant.

2. Do I REALLY have to answer this one?? Lol. Well.. not Z, 'cuz he doesn't like me anymore and won't reply to my PMs (even after complaining that I never reply..).. So.. Hmmmm.. How about Arvy? *realizes how bad that's gonna sound when combined with the dream..*

3. EBM.. :twisted:

4. Mesh. She's already my editor. :wink:

5. Ummm.. Maybe Z?

Book: LOTR. I'd have plenty of time to read it again.. :roll:

CD: Clay Aiken: Measure of a Man. Hey, it's my newest favorite lol!

Food: Snowshoe crab. Most delicious food on the planet.
Love and Light

145 Reviews

Reviews: 145
Wed Jan 12, 2005 2:28 am
Tara says...

1. Hmm...Idk...FireStarter, maybe? he seems to have some...interesting views.

2. Ah what the heck. This is just for fun anyway, so Aniar

3. (ROFL CRYSI!!!!) Can I borrow Bob from YFW? oh Bo-o-ob! :twisted:

4. Delo :wink:

5. EBM, I guess. He has some fun things to kill people with. :twisted:

The Hobbit, I suppose.

The Wall

Well...since there's a bunch of stuff to eat on the island as well as the food I bring...corn, b/c you can replant it, it grows almost anywhere, and you can make popcorn. :thumb:
Last edited by Tara on Mon Feb 07, 2005 12:08 am, edited 2 times in total.
"You can go a long way with a smile. You can go a lot farther with a smile and a gun." -Al Capone

915 Reviews

Reviews: 915
Wed Jan 12, 2005 4:06 am
Incandescence says...

1. Faith

2. YOU! Unless you're a guy...in which case, not you.

3. QiGaui. heh.

4. CarsandGuitars77

5. Brian

The Art of War by SUN-TZU

Afrodisiac

Enchiladas, of course, I suppose they would go bad eventually. And then what would I do?
"If I have not seen as far as others, it is because giants were standing on my shoulders." -Hal Abelson

594 Reviews

Wed Jan 12, 2005 6:17 am
Crysi says...

ME?? I feel so loved! :D

*stares at Incandescence's pic again until Tara taps her on the shoulder and points out it was a general "you"*

:oops: :P :wink:

Sorry. Couldn't resist. :twisted:
Love and Light

128 Reviews

Reviews: 128
Wed Jan 12, 2005 7:34 am
Galatea says...

ooooh, I like this one!

1. WinterGrimm. We could chat for hours!

2. Incandescence. Brilliant AND hot. Jeebus!

3. I could never eat anyone!!! Bobo, I guess.

4. A.O. Avalon. And we would NEVER get anything done, ha!

5. Oh dear. No repeats? Then QiGuai. Definitly QiGuai. He could kick alls y'alls asses.

Ender's Game, Orson Scott Wells

Indigo Girls, Rights of Passage

Chicken, since it's versatile and a good source of nutrition!
Last edited by Galatea on Wed Jan 12, 2005 9:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sing lustily and with a good courage. Beware of singing as if you were half dead, or half asleep; but lift up your voice with strength.

122 Reviews

Reviews: 122
Wed Jan 12, 2005 7:02 pm
Brian says...

Cool :D

1. QiGuaiGongFu; it's not use having a philosophical discussion if all you do is agree with the other person.

2. Er... I'll think I'll skip this one ;)

3. freakforchrist; one of the first people to register and still not a single post! SUFFER FOR YOUR SILENCE!

4. Incandescence; I know that he'll give me real criticism

5. Nate; he's an eagle scout and so I'm pretty sure he'd know how to make a few traps, but then again he'd probably just force everyone away since he talks to everybody as if they're in first grade ;)

My one book would be that "ultimate survival guide" thingie that tells you what to do when being attacked by a shark if all you have is a ball of string and a paperclip.

One CD... Michelle Branch "The Spirit Room" :)

One food... chicken tenders
If knowledge can create problems, it is not through ignorance that we can solve them.
Isaac Asimov

324 Reviews

Reviews: 324
Wed Jan 12, 2005 7:13 pm
-KayJuran- says...

1. firestarter

2. sorry not gunna answer this...

3. arvy... mwahahaha :twisted: j/k!

4. i'll think bout it sum more...

5. crysi cuz she has dragons i can fry
people with!

6. can i have ALL the wheel of time bks?

7. muse origin of symmetry

8. rice!!! :P

1259 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1259
Wed Jan 12, 2005 7:24 pm
Firestarter says...

Great thread...

1. Err...Incandescence, he seems like the sort of person that knows about anything...

2. pass :lol:

3. Ermm...have I clashed with anyone one this site? C Elocin cos she shouted at me for using too many "too"s!

4. Morran, I think his name is? I've really liked all the stuff I've seen from him. He seems the type to write something with...

5. Nate, see other peoples answers...and he should be able to control him using his adminstrative powers...or something

Book - SAS Survival Guide or How to get off a Desert Island

CD - The Libertines, Up the Bracket (could I configure the CD player into a radio and get us out of there?)

Food - Some sweets to add some niceness to my diet.
Nate wrote:And if YWS ever does become a company, Jack will be the President of European Operations. In fact, I'm just going to call him that anyways.

Reviews: 0
Wed Jan 12, 2005 8:52 pm
Guest says...

Oh this is cool! :D and Thank you Tara!!!

1. Philisophical discussion? Hmm....Tara, I think...

2. Oh I should SO Pass this one as I'm only friends with one guy on this site!

3. EBM!!! Or Bob...both from the old site lol

4. Tara or Crysi

5. Hmm...Arvandor, Tara or Crysi

Book? Easy LotR! My leatherette edition ;)

CD? Enya or LotR...or a burned CD with BOTH and "Arwen's Song" Which isn't on any of the Soundtracks!

Food...PASTA!! I'd die without some sort of pasta...

67 Reviews

Reviews: 67
Wed Jan 12, 2005 10:46 pm
QiGuaiGongFu says...

1: incandescence. because he's young, and probably scrawny so he wont eat much. and i can totally lord it over him.
2:a female
3:brian.
4:galatea, because her knowledge of literary device is far superior to mine.
5:instead of a person here, i would smuggle in a compressible life raft, to get off the island.

if the life raft smuggling were to fail. i too would take art of war. but it would be the original text, meaning it was hand written on bamboo slivers. which is the important part, because bamboo floats, and its a long book, so there would be a lot of them scrolls, from which i could form a raft or flotation device.

the cd would be an instructional video on how to create a life raft out of sand or dirt, or whatever else i might happen to have handy lyinf around on the island.

the food would be.... eggplant. it may taste absolutely horrid, however, its extreemly nutritious, provides vast ammounts of energy and water, and the best part, its pliable, and it floats. i could make a raft! big enough to carry enough extra eggplant for eating, or for patching up holes.
For centuries, theologians have been explaining the unknowable in terms of the-not-worth-knowing.
- HL Mencken
Lie together like butt.
Presenting the GFuture, soon to be the Gnow, reality presented by Google.
Welcome to GEarth.
~Baske in the randomness~

85 Reviews

Reviews: 85
Wed Jan 12, 2005 11:26 pm
faith says...

1. probably Brad, because he's interesting and amusing and Xandrique isn't in this club

2. erm...i suppose anyone of age will do. i don't want to face lawsuits or anything if i do get off this godforsaken island. although i don't know if girls are charged with statutory rape as well. and it would have to be a male, for obvious reasons.

3. that Black Crow person. he annoys me. *will not make pun about eating crow*

4. mmm maybe Liz... she's an excellent writer

5. Nate, because he's in a position of authority and a lot of people wouldn't realize that his authority doesn't carry over to the island. and he seems very Machiavellian. ha.

The Silence of the Lambs

Fallen, evenescence

pizza. its not practical, but i would die without pizza.

1258 Reviews

Reviews: 1258
Wed Jan 12, 2005 11:38 pm
Sam says...

1. Firestarter, for obvious reasons...
2. Wasn't it like universally agreed that...uhm, Incandescence for this one? *lol*
3. I have to agree with Brian...somebody like freakforchrist who hasn't posted anything yet...
4. Uh...maybe Mesh or Crysi...somebody like that.
5. Again, maybe firestarter. I can't think of anyone else partially sane. *ha ha ha*

Book? The DaVinci Code.
A Hangover You Don't Deserve. For obvious reasons.
Pasta! gotta have my carbs!
Graffiti is the most passionate form of literature there is.

- Demetri Martin

481 Reviews

Reviews: 481
Wed Jan 12, 2005 11:39 pm
Bobo says...

1. Er... Hunter...

2. Um... a girl?

3. I would probably eat my socks

4. Er... Hunter.

5. Ah... Hunter.

choose 1 book: One book!? No!!!!! Wizards First Rule

and 1 CD Um... my 50,000 auto-radio CD? Either that or Hoobastank.

and 1 food Piemonade! Or p-nade, as they call it in the office...

EDIT: Nate's an Eagle? Awesome, man! Er... congrats, however long ago you got it. I hope you remember everything better than I do. :roll:

594 Reviews

Thu Jan 13, 2005 12:29 am
Crysi says...

Grar, come on people! If I can say who I would populate the island with, you all can! Sheesh.. :P

Haha it's so hilarious.. I would never come close to answering that in real life. :roll:

Sam.. *bows* I'm honored! Ooooh The Da Vinci Code is such a good book! I'm a little more than halfway through it right now. Clashes with my beliefs, but I love all the codes!

Delo and KJ.. I'd be more than happy to aid you with my dragons. :twisted:
Love and Light

I have to ask. Does every question or statement regarding the quote generator end up in the quote generator?
— WeepingWisteria