Young Writers Society

The Patriot

1259 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1259
Mon Mar 06, 2006 9:58 pm
Firestarter says...

Worst film ever?

At least the most horrible peace of travesty in regards to history.

See here: http://www.salon.com/ent/movies/feature ... ndex1.html

Uh, I've actually never been more offended simply watching a film.

The things they say about Hollywood's attitude to Britain is so so so true. Most of it is racist and quite disgusting.

EDIT: Oh, I forgot U-571. I never saw it, but to try and put British heroics onto some fake American exploits is just wrong, and horrible to the memory of people who actually did it, not some glorifying American film. Uh.
Nate wrote:And if YWS ever does become a company, Jack will be the President of European Operations. In fact, I'm just going to call him that anyways.

531 Reviews

Reviews: 531
Mon Mar 06, 2006 10:10 pm
Caligula's Launderette says...

Agreed, I had to sit through it because all my girl friends at the time were madly in love with Heath Ledger. The whole time I was like - 'that's false' and 'wait a minute, that never happened'... I suppose the acting was good, but can we say 'agenda'.

That article was very interesting, Jack.

As for U-571, I liked it some parts of it, but it was a total trave-sham-ockery of history...

PS - Has anyone seen the biopic of Benidict Arnold?
Fraser: Stop stealing the blanket.
[Diefenbaker whines]
Fraser: You're an Arctic Wolf, for God's sake.
(Due South)

Hatter: Do I need a reason to help a pretty girl in a very wet dress? (Alice)

Got YWS?

1259 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1259
Mon Mar 06, 2006 10:17 pm
Firestarter says...

The worst line in the whole film was when he wants to sit next to the girl, and he goes "Can I sit there?"

And she goes, "Yeah, it's a free country. Or at least it will be soon." [head/desk]

U-571 is supposed to be good but it's just shocking how they can get away with that sort of history - two British Servicemen died capturing the enigma and they're just lost in Hollywood.

Just in case nobody knows, America didn't capture the Enigma machine, Britain did, if you've been brainwashed. Contact your local doctor too.

Also, for more anti-British racism, see Titanic (ooh, the horrible British ugly rich people hate the happy, lovely Irish people in the steerage - they're just so mean!).
Nate wrote:And if YWS ever does become a company, Jack will be the President of European Operations. In fact, I'm just going to call him that anyways.

531 Reviews

Reviews: 531
Mon Mar 06, 2006 10:25 pm
Caligula's Launderette says...

Hollywood rewrites history...

God, that is a horrible line.

As for the capturing of the enigma machine, watch All the Queen's Men, its very silly, but it laughs at everybody, and is serious some times as well.

Oh, in Titanic, don't forget the nice Italians. Did you know the first time they built the ship for the movie, they built it backwards in the harbor? :D I know cause on a camping trip to Ensenada I saw it.

Talking about history films I think one of the best that paints a pretty accurate picture is Apocalypse Now. I can't remember any others...
Fraser: Stop stealing the blanket.
[Diefenbaker whines]
Fraser: You're an Arctic Wolf, for God's sake.
(Due South)

Hatter: Do I need a reason to help a pretty girl in a very wet dress? (Alice)

Got YWS?

131 Reviews

Reviews: 131
Mon Mar 06, 2006 10:31 pm
smaur says...

Yeah, The Patriot is just ... wow. I wonder if they actually researched the War, or just based everything off of some vague recollection of tenth grade history class. And as if the historical accuracy isn't bad enough (makes you want to gouge your eyes out with a spoon), the actual movie was awful. Poorly-written, needlessly cheesy and oversimplified and ridiculous.

Having said that, I don't think it's the worst movie ever (and if you do think that, you're very very lucky you haven't seen anything worse). And I don't think they necessarily made the movie with the intention of being racist or painting the British as evil mindless psycho killing machines — I just think that Hollywood is horribly, horribly ethnocentric.
"He yanked himself free and fled to the kitchen where something huddled against the flooded windowpanes. It sighed and wept and tapped continually, and suddenly he was outside, staring in, the rain beating, the wind chilling him, and all the candle darkness inside lost."

You're given the form, but you have to write the sonnet yourself. What you say is completely up to you.
— Madeleine L'Engle, A Wrinkle in Time