z

Young Writers Society

TORINO OLYMPICS

196 Reviews

Reviews: 196
Sun Feb 12, 2006 3:06 am
Shriek says...

Just wondering if anyone is as addicted to watching the Olympics as I am.
The opening ceremony yesterday was pretty incredible.

What's your favorite sport/player to watch?
I think the most interesting to watch will be the figure skating, with Michelle Kwan coming off a groin injury and this being her last chance to win the gold medal and all. I cannot wait for the snowboarding or the downhill skiiing either--it's going to be awesome.
i thought you were shallow, but then i fell in deep.

33 Reviews

Reviews: 33
Sun Feb 12, 2006 3:33 am
Eleanor Rigby says...

I LOVE the Olympics. Mostly because I love winter, and trust me, we have a lot of that here in Canada . . . a lot. (And yes, that's me promoting a stereotype) Anyway, my most favouritest sport to watch is of COURSE hockey (once again promoting a stereotype) because, of course, Canadians are the BEST hockey players in the world. (Remeber Salt Lake, anyone?) And I play the sport, so I must love it. GO CANADA GO! . . . oh and, I hope all the other countries have fun too. lol.
words, language - what wonderous
creatures these beings are,
what joyous routes of sorrow and
longing they pave.

1274 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1274
Sun Feb 12, 2006 4:17 am
niteowl says...

I've really only ever watched figure skating. when I was 8, I used to pretend to skate in the Olympics in my mom's bedroom.

Yesterday I went skiing instead of watching the opening ceremonies. Today my friend came up with an interesting theory...

If you don't watch the Olympics, you don't support the Olympics.
The Olympics symbolize international cooperation, so if you don't support the Olympics, you don't support international cooperation.
If you don't support int. cooperation, you don't support int. peace.
If you don't support int. peace, you must support int. war.
If you support international war, then you are a bad person.

So the moral of the story is: If you don't watch the Olympics, you are a bad person. SO GO WATCH THE OLYMPICS!

I remember watching the 2004 Olympics on CBC a lot since they played it earlier than NBC. The Canadian commercials were pretty interesting, and they showed that one hot Canadian diver...

This is kind of random, but speaking of Canadian stereotypes...someone my mom was talking to the other day has a four-year-old who, rather than saying hello, goes "Ehhh?" :lol:
"You do ill if you praise, but worse if you censure, what you do not understand." Leonardo Da Vinci

<YWS><R1>

33 Reviews

Reviews: 33
Sun Feb 12, 2006 4:30 am
Eleanor Rigby says...

Hot Canadian Diver? Alexandre Despatie. So hot. So very very hot. And I've met him, SO much hotter in real life. See, in Canada, we all know each other. lol. :wink: (once again perpetuating a stereotype)
words, language - what wonderous
creatures these beings are,
what joyous routes of sorrow and
longing they pave.

685 Reviews

Reviews: 685
Sun Feb 12, 2006 4:44 am
Rei says...

The hockey game between Canada and Italy was beyond rediculous. It qualifies and redonculous. I mean, 16-0, Canada. In a normal hockey game you rarely get that many goals between both teams!

I watched the figure skating too. It was pretty good.
Please, sit down before you fall down.
Belloq, "Raiders of the Lost Ark"

196 Reviews

Reviews: 196
Mon Feb 13, 2006 1:37 am
Shriek says...

Much drama has occured on the American side of things two days in.

THE GOOD:
"The Flying Tomato" (Shawn White--le sigh) took gold in snowboarding.

THE BAD:
Figure skater Michelle Kwan is forced to remove herself from the games. This was her last chance at a gold medal.

THE UGLY:
Apolo Anton Ohno (short track speedskating) stumbled with 1.5 laps to go and lost any chance at a medal.

Hmf. -Pouts-
Not that anyone cared or anything. I just posted this for my own ... viewing. Orsomething!
i thought you were shallow, but then i fell in deep.

1259 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1259
Mon Feb 13, 2006 10:10 am
Firestarter says...

British hopes ...

CURLING!!
Nate wrote:And if YWS ever does become a company, Jack will be the President of European Operations. In fact, I'm just going to call him that anyways.

685 Reviews

Reviews: 685
Mon Feb 13, 2006 1:42 pm
Rei says...

It was even more redonculous playing against the Russians. I would have expected better from them. They normally have a really good team. I mean, 12-0 Canada! Well, Canadians do rule hockey.
Please, sit down before you fall down.
Belloq, "Raiders of the Lost Ark"

110 Reviews

Reviews: 110
Mon Feb 13, 2006 4:16 pm
zell says...

my fav sporting event is skiing but i don't know any one

Random avatar

Reviews: 67
Mon Feb 13, 2006 6:18 pm
The Silent Aviator says...

I've been wathcing the Torino games off and on over the past few days after missing the opening ceremony for the first time in my life. I don't know much abouth the athletes/teams/sports, but naturally I usualy go for the American team or player. But in most of the few events I've watched, the Americans performed terribly. :(

My favorite winter Olympic sport to watch is the bobsledding events, primarily because it's one of the faster and more exciting sports, but also because a woman on one of our bobsleding teams is from the city I currently live in.

Go USA!!!!!!!!
Last edited by The Silent Aviator on Mon Feb 13, 2006 11:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.

202 Reviews

Reviews: 202
Mon Feb 13, 2006 7:59 pm
Angel17 says...

I can't wait for the figure skating. I love watching the snowboarding too.
Real poetry are those with the best words in the best order

~~~~~~~~Mandy~~~~~~~~~

147 Reviews

Reviews: 147
Mon Feb 13, 2006 10:55 pm
sabradan says...

Heh. Israel has a team this year, this is only like the fourth winter olympics for Israel. We have skaters, ice dancers, and slolem skiiers. GO ISRAEL, GO!!!!
"He who takes a life...it is as if he has destroyed an entire world....but he who saves one life, it is as if he has saved the world entire" Talmud Sanhedrin 4:5

!Hasta la victoria siempre! (Always, until Victory!)
-Ernesto "Che" Guevarra

Random avatar

Reviews: 9
Tue Feb 14, 2006 2:04 am
SciFiGuy says...

i absolutely love the olympics! i watched the athens games in 2004 and really got into it. i watched when carly patterson won gold too, that was really exciting! im kinda upset that michelle kwan dropped out though, but ill still watch the event even though she's not there.

189 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 189
Tue Feb 14, 2006 11:25 am
tinny says...

I love the olympics!
I come home from college and sit and watch the events all day. My family think I've gone crazy.
I start screaming at the tv.
please grant me my small wish; (love me to the marrow of my bones)

Random avatar

Reviews: 665
Tue Feb 14, 2006 2:30 pm
deleted6 says...

I'm not watching it i may though if their nothing else to watch, and i'm not for war i'm all for Cooperation big time but i have prioties. :D
We get off to the rhythm of the trigger and destruction. Fallujah to New Orleans with impunity to kill. We are the hidden fist of the free market.
We are the ink, we are the quill.
[The Ink And The Quill (Be Afraid) - Anti-Flag]

You can't blame the writer for what the characters say.
— Truman Capote