z

Young Writers Society

Writing: Career or hobby?

118 Reviews

Reviews: 118
Wed Nov 30, 2005 7:40 pm
*Twilight* says...

Do you paln on becoming a professional writer someday or do you just write for fun?
I just write for fun because I plan on becoming a videogame designer.

447 Reviews

Reviews: 447
Wed Nov 30, 2005 7:45 pm
Duskglimmer says...

I'm hoping writing will turn into a career for me. *crosses fingers*
The robbed that smiles, steals something from the thief. ~William Shakespeare, Othello
Boo. SPEW is watching.

94 Reviews

Reviews: 94
Wed Nov 30, 2005 7:50 pm
AstrangedbeaR says...

both. i write as a hobby, but i do eventually hope to get published someday.
*AstrangedbeaR*

1259 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1259
Wed Nov 30, 2005 9:21 pm
Firestarter says...

Career preferrably, but hobby I would do fine with. I don't hold any delusions of getting published, because I probably won't - but it's a nice idea.
Nate wrote:And if YWS ever does become a company, Jack will be the President of European Operations. In fact, I'm just going to call him that anyways.

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Wed Nov 30, 2005 9:27 pm
Snoink says...

The careers I am looking at (think: medicine) all require good writers. Soooooo... I shall be a professional writer whether I want to or not! Soon you'll be reading my absolutely marvelous research papers!
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

126 Reviews

Reviews: 126
Thu Dec 01, 2005 12:16 am
Bjorn says...

I'm going to University for English Literature(or summat to do with languages and/or writing, most likely involving English) indefinately, therefore it may turn into a career. However, I may indeed become a teacher or respected linguist/philologist. In fact, if all goes awry for that path, my fallback choice is history.

145 Reviews

Reviews: 145
Thu Dec 01, 2005 12:18 am
Tara says...

I'm gonna go with AstrangedbeaR and say both. It's be great to get published, but either way I do it for fun, and love doing it.
"You can go a long way with a smile. You can go a lot farther with a smile and a gun." -Al Capone

701 Reviews

Reviews: 701
Thu Dec 01, 2005 12:54 am
bubblewrapped says...

Square in the middle - I want to write professionally, but not necessarily to be a professional writer (at least not at first. I will probably have to write heaps for my career of choice anyway, and it will always be something I love - so if it stays as a hobby (at least in my lifetime :wink: :lol:) I dont mind.
Got a poem or short story you want me to critique?

There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way, and not to give others absurd maddening claims upon it. (C D Morley)

196 Reviews

Reviews: 196
Thu Dec 01, 2005 4:26 am
Shriek says...

"Writing is an occupation in which you have to keep proving your talent to those who have none." -Jules Renard

Interesting quote. I'm about 95% sure I want to go into journalism, so... eep.
i thought you were shallow, but then i fell in deep.

50 Reviews

Reviews: 50
Thu Dec 01, 2005 5:20 am
mystical*dragons says...

Career. But I doubt that I'll ever get published, but I love writing anyway. It'd be fine as a hobby too! But it would be my dream come true if my work is published.

488 Reviews

Reviews: 488
Thu Dec 01, 2005 5:26 am
Meshugenah says...

I'm with Jack on this one. I'd love to, but in all likelihood, I'll never be published (professionally, contests don't count).
***Under the Responsibility of S.P.E.W.***
(Sadistic Perplexion of Everyone's Wits)

Medieval Lit! Come here to find out who Chaucer plagiarized and translated - and why and how it worked in the late 1300s.

I <3 Rydia

683 Reviews

Reviews: 683
Thu Dec 01, 2005 7:45 am
Emma says...

I'm not going to really do it as a career. Yeah, I love writing (even though I can't), but want to be a games designer or graphic artist even more. If I ever get the book published, I'm still not going to give up my job.

136 Reviews

Reviews: 136
Thu Dec 01, 2005 11:28 am
thegirlwhofateloves says...

I'd love to be able to get paid and recognised for something I love doing, but at the same time most of my stuff is quite personal....so I don't know. Probably both - if I don't get published, it doesn't matter, because I'll still always love writing. I really want to be an actress though. If I could be both, that would just be so amazing it would just put me in complete shock, like so: :shock:
lol
www.myspace.com/prettytorture
felicitypepper@hotmail.co.uk

Big up the YWS Massive!

....And I still don't know what SPEW is....

Random avatar

Reviews: 71
Thu Dec 01, 2005 1:50 pm
Nis says...

As a child I always believed writing would be a career for me, but now I think I'll write and get a job in design.

118 Reviews

Reviews: 118
Thu Dec 01, 2005 9:34 pm
*Twilight* says...

thegirlwhofateloves wrote:I'd love to be able to get paid and recognised for something I love doing, but at the same time most of my stuff is quite personal....so I don't know. Probably both - if I don't get published, it doesn't matter, because I'll still always love writing. I really want to be an actress though. If I could be both, that would just be so amazing it would just put me in complete shock, like so: :shock:
lol

Hey, Steve Martin did both so you can too.
Hire people to crit your work! Get paid to crit other people's work!
The YWS crit shop: forum/viewtopic.php?t=8018

We think in generalities, but we live in details.
— Alfred North Whitehead