z

Young Writers Society

Swine Flu

344 Reviews

Reviews: 344
Tue Apr 28, 2009 8:00 pm
View Likes
Eimear says...

What do we think? A serious pandemic or is it going to be all under control?

http://news.aol.co.uk/flu-could-hit-40p ... 4746448830
We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.

Oscar Wilde.

7 Reviews

Reviews: 7
Tue May 05, 2009 1:20 am
`Stoney says...

I understand all my bitching and carrying on in this is pointless, since all this has happened now, and no one who has any form of power in this world is going to take notice anyway, and that there's nothing we can do but sit and wait like we did the bird flu and everything else; but to be honest, I'm not really caring about this, it's just the lack of commitment and slackness of the government that has pushed me to have any views of this whatsoever. After the bird flu scare, I was laughing throughout all that thinking it was a joke. I'm thinking this is a joke, too, but a joke in a new light.

*Takes a deep breath....*

Having outbreaks like these are proof enough that our governments at the least are lazy, and perhaps just don't give a flying crap about the people they're meant to be protecting. As soon as they had become aware of it, they should have contained it and started working on vaccinations immediately, instead of allowing it to spread and causing world-wide panic before they started acting upon it.

People such as Prime Minister Gordon Brown "insisting" that "the UK was "among the best prepared countries in the world" and the Government was taking "all the urgent action that is necessary" to help prevent the virus spreading." are full of themselves, and general liars. If they had taken "all the urgent action that that is necessary," they would be shutting down airports worldwide, and thoroughly screening all imports and exports - if they're physically able to do so - as soon as they discover "deadly diseases" that can be spread as quickly as this. Cancelling two flights, and not allowing people to go to one resort for seven days.. Come on, people! Anyone with half a brain is going to realise it will take more than this to prevent it from further spreading.

Yes, I understand that then the worlds economy will be dropped even lower, and a lot of people would be out of work if measures like this were to be taken, but seriously, the world should still have enough money backed up in storage somewhere to compensate people in situations such as this - or were we too stupid to learn from previous screw ups?

As far as people being "warned to avoid all but essential travel to Mexico as holiday companies suspended their operations to the country"! Well, this came a little late. If anything, they should be telling people not to make trips into any region that is connected to Mexico by land, such as both Americas, and Canada, until they had this virus contained - which the way technology is these days, they could have found those infected, before it did spread much further into the USA (and then the world), vaccinated them, and we'd all be laughing. Now we have people panicking, people dying, etc and so forth.

In conclusion and in answer to the question Eimear posed: "What do we think? A serious pandemic or is it going to be all under control?"

In my own view, eventually it will be contained and under control. I don't believe this is going to be the virus that will destroy the human race - however, it has still turned into a serious pandemic for most people because of the governments not acting fast enough and efficiently enough to begin with.
"The 50-50-90 rule: Any time you have a 50-50 chance of getting something right, there's a 90% probability you'll get it wrong." ~ No idea who originally said it.. XD

181 Reviews

Reviews: 181
Tue May 05, 2009 8:13 am
Gahks says...

There's already a thread for this in the Debate Group. Why not join? :)
"Don't bother just to be better than your contemporaries or predecessors. Try to be better than yourself." William Faulkner.

Do you do poetry? Check out Poetry Inspiration over in Groups!

Random avatar

Reviews: 11
Wed Jun 10, 2009 7:31 am
View Likes
Exialac says...

It's a distraction. The media is trying to divert our attention from financial problems by creating mass hysteria/panic. People can be played by the press/political propaganda very easily. Marionettes... Like come on, 30 k people die annually from the cold just in Canada alone (130 K in America). Ridiculous. Just ridiculous...when we should raise more awareness about cancer. Did you know 1 in 2 men will get Cancer in their life time?
Nostalgia is like a grammar lesson. You find the present tense and the past perfect.

Oh no, I’m sorry, you’re under the impression that here on YWS we *help* writers instead of just feeding their gremlin tendencies.
— winterwolf0100