z

Young Writers Society

Question of the Day! (For all ages...)

129 Reviews

Reviews: 129
Fri Aug 26, 2005 1:16 am
Mattie says...

:) Well, seeing as I have not been on here in forever, I have decided to start this little thread properly titled, "Question of the Day." (We really should make one on the homepage.)

Anyways, what you do is come up with a random, historical, but not anything that can't be answered by the common human being, totally useless, question or anything else you can think of. I don't know if this will be a big hit, but I'm hoping some of you will respond.

Okay, for starters:

How much wood could a wood chuck chuck if a wood chuck could chuck wood?

EDIT: And you answer THEN make up your own question. Sorry about that...
Also try to limit the posts per day because it'd ruin the purpose.

:)

P.S: Is there another thread like this? If so, I'm very sorry for starting this one.
Last edited by Mattie on Fri Aug 26, 2005 1:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

Random avatar

Reviews: 681
Fri Aug 26, 2005 1:22 am
Sponson Light says...

Well since a woodchuck cant chuck wood as stated "If a woodchuck COULD chuck wood" we wouldnt know.
If it could then we still wouldnt know because weve never witnessed it.
You shouldn't judge a book by it's cover, instead, you should read every single book to see what every book is about before you even come close to judging its viability.

657 Reviews

Reviews: 657
Sat Aug 27, 2005 5:53 pm
Jennafina says...

Isn't that a rehetorical(sp?) question?
Jennafina's Love Your Body Already Dammit Campaign

forum353.html

(To find out what it really is, just click.)

147 Reviews

Reviews: 147
Sat Aug 27, 2005 6:33 pm
sabradan says...

Yes it is.

What is the temperature of Hell? (Qi, I'm looking at you to post that huge scientific explanation)
"He who takes a life...it is as if he has destroyed an entire world....but he who saves one life, it is as if he has saved the world entire" Talmud Sanhedrin 4:5

!Hasta la victoria siempre! (Always, until Victory!)
-Ernesto "Che" Guevarra

Random avatar

Sat Aug 27, 2005 7:12 pm
Sponson Light says...

Hell doesnt exist to me, therefore, there is no temperature.
And since it is unproven to even be a hell, we couldnt say.
Unless someone can point out a hell somewhere on the map.
If you meant hell was the center of the Earth, the Inner Core can reach 10kºF
http://mediatheek.thinkquest.nl/~ll125/en/core.htm
You shouldn't judge a book by it's cover, instead, you should read every single book to see what every book is about before you even come close to judging its viability.

506 Reviews

Reviews: 506
Sat Aug 27, 2005 7:23 pm
Sureal says...

The temperature of Hell? Bah, too easy.

So, to do this, we must find out of if Hell is exothermic or endothermic... which can also be done...

"First, We postulate that if souls exist, then they must have some mass. If they do, then a mole of souls can also have a mass. So, at what rate are souls moving into hell and at what rate are souls leaving? I think we can safely assume that once a soul gets to hell, it will not leave.

Therefore, no souls are leaving. As for souls entering hell, let's look at the different religions that exist in the world today. Some of these religions state that if you are not a member of their religion, then you will go to hell. Since there are more than one of these religions and people do not belong to more than one religion, we can project that all people and souls go to hell. With birth and death rates as they are, we can expect the number of souls in hell to increase exponentially.

Now, we look at the rate of change in volume in hell. Boyle's Law states that in order for the temperature and pressure in hell to stay the same, the ratio of the mass of souls and volume needs to stay constant. Two options exist:

1. If hell is expanding at a slower rate than the rate at which souls enter hell, then the temperature and pressure in hell will increase until all hell breaks loose.
2. If hell is expanding at a rate faster than the increase of souls in hell, then the temperature and pressure will drop until hell freezes over.

So which is it? If we accept the quote given to me by Theresa Manyan during Freshman year, "that it will be a cold night in hell before I sleep with you" and take into account the fact that I still have NOT succeeded in having sexual relations with her, then Option 2 cannot be true...Thus, hell is exothermic."

Take from Here

So Hell is hot - and presumably it will only keep on getting hotter.
I wrote the above just for you.

67 Reviews

Reviews: 67
Sun Aug 28, 2005 5:38 am
QiGuaiGongFu says...

Well, hell is most commonly described as being a hot, boiling, firey place, most common placed under the Earth. But the only way this is possible is to be inside the earth in the universal environment, since gravity only exists on the planet, and not beyond the atmosphereic exterior, therefor, the only "down" to speak of, is inside the magnetic pull of the earth. Meaning, hell is in the core. Knowing this, we know that, 1: the core is surrounded by a layer of molten nickel and lead, and is either a solid ball of nickel and lead so hot, and pressurized, it stays solid, or has a very strong nickel/lead shell.

While we cannot exactly measure the tempurature of the core of the earth, we can only speculate, based on pressure readings, heat loss through mines and volcanic openings, speed of wave movement through the core, ect. We estimate the tempurature at the core to be somewhere around 7000 C. or 12,632 degrees farenheit, or 7273.15 kelvin, give or take.

This means, that if the theoretical location of hell is in fact undernieth earth, making the only logical position benieth the earth's crust, that hell probably has a mean tempurature of about 12,000 to 13,000 degrees farenheit.

And mid. While your theory on the tempurature of hell is indeed valid, option 2 isn't necisarily true, since she said a cold night in hell, and hell may be expanding a differential rate that is not measurable by human instruments, meaning that while hell may in fact be getting colder, it is not cold yet. You still have a chance dude! But when you take into account also, that her exact phrase was "it will be a cold night in hell before i sleep with you, this could mean that the requirement has been met, but the time differential between the cold night in hell, and the hot, sweaty, nasty funky, kinky, AND/OR, but not limited too or garrantied, freaky sex, is still in the final equasion. cold night in hell X lapse of time immediately or exedingly thereafter + smooth sexy man moves = freaky sex. But we must also account for the lack of sun in hell. It is either perminantly day, or perminantly night, as per the popular representations of a theoretical existance, hell is in a cave of somesort. If hell has no day, then hell has no night, and hell cannot possibly have a cold night. Meaning your hopes for sex are otherwise thwarted. But one could accept the theory that hell is perminantly night, and a cold night is possible, as long as hell reaches the agreed upon level for cold. Which raises another question: what is cold in hell? does it apply to our known standards, or a higher, high heat standard? But that is for another time.

Understanding that the center of the earth is composed of a solid mass of nickel and lead, this would mean that hell is frozen.

I have discovered a fool proof means for knowing the absolute tempurature of hell:

Go to hell.

There, happy sab?

And since, technically, it is a new day, here's your question:

Assuming that the human body is capeable uf undergoing such extreme pressure, exposure, and tempurature, what does it look/feel/smell like as one passes through a black hole? And if it is indeed a hole, and not a colapsed star, it must have an exit, what is it like exiting through the extraterrestrial pooper of a black hole, and whats on the other side?
For centuries, theologians have been explaining the unknowable in terms of the-not-worth-knowing.
- HL Mencken
Lie together like butt.
Presenting the GFuture, soon to be the Gnow, reality presented by Google.
Welcome to GEarth.
~Baske in the randomness~

Random avatar

Reviews: 665
Sun Aug 28, 2005 7:13 am
deleted6 says...

Another Galaxy i don't know?

Which guy whom made comics has a bug named after him?
We get off to the rhythm of the trigger and destruction. Fallujah to New Orleans with impunity to kill. We are the hidden fist of the free market.
We are the ink, we are the quill.
[The Ink And The Quill (Be Afraid) - Anti-Flag]

67 Reviews

Reviews: 67
Sun Aug 28, 2005 5:16 pm
QiGuaiGongFu says...

Lets give more people some time to answer the questions, and maintain the 1 a day policy requested by the original poster. And at least make it look like you tried to answer! jeebus, you didn't even answer the original question.
For centuries, theologians have been explaining the unknowable in terms of the-not-worth-knowing.
- HL Mencken
Lie together like butt.
Presenting the GFuture, soon to be the Gnow, reality presented by Google.
Welcome to GEarth.
~Baske in the randomness~

506 Reviews

Reviews: 506
Sun Aug 28, 2005 8:29 pm
Sureal says...

If you could survive going through a blackhole?

Well, I imagine it would feel quite painful, because even if you could survive the pressure... it would still hurts plenty.
You would smell gas I guess, and plenty of it.
You would not be able to see anything at all, as the light would be pulled into the black hole (hence the name ;)).

Where would you go? Well... lets say there is an exit out the other side of the black hole (as oposed to it just being, y'know, a hole with a bottom).
Let imagine there's a wormhole (cos they're cool). And lets imagine it's quite a large one (aren't they meant to be like one atom thick at it's thinnest point?) that we could actually go through.

Now, because lets combine this with the dimension theory (you know the one - different probablities, different outcomes, different dimensions). So yeah, you go into the black hole, get sucked through a wormhole, and pop out in a different dimension. Yay!

There is also the theoretical 'white hole' - which is basically the oposite of a black hole (hence the name). Instead of sucking things in, it repulse them (like if you pot of the same poles of two magnets together). meaning you can't get near them. But this isn't really the exit of black hole (it pushes things way, doesn't shot them out).

There is a theory with the black holes. It's shown through a diagram of a blackhole (imagine it as a triangle) with another one 'beneath' it (so the full diagram looks like an hourglass). The matter goes in one end, and comes out the other.

But I believe that leading theory as to what happens with the black hole matter... is that it simply comes out again when the black hole 'dies' and collapses.

Yes, that was all very badly explained. But I rushed it and couldn't be bothered to go find/draw up diagrams to help you out. But hey, whatever ;).
I wrote the above just for you.

594 Reviews

Reviews: 594
Mon Aug 29, 2005 5:24 am
Crysi says...

Hmm, I think a black hole and a white hole should be able to coexist. Imagine it as velcro... you have to be able to secure one piece of velcro to the fabric, right? So one side is just plain material. Now, if you took two pieces of velcro and fastened the plain side to each other, that's what it would be like... Two different things, connected by a side that has no special properties.

Really bad explanation. But I'm tired and it works for me. :-P
Love and Light

863 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 863
Mon Aug 29, 2005 4:27 pm
Griffinkeeper says...

The idea of a black hole and a white hole existing together would make the combination of the two a wormhole. Theoretically you can survive entering a black hole, assuming that the point of no return is very very very far away from the singularity. That way the tidal forces wouldn't be overwhelming but gradual. At least, it will be for a little while.
Moderator Emeritus (frozen in carbonite.)

863 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 863
Mon Aug 29, 2005 4:28 pm
Griffinkeeper says...

Here is today's question.

Wimp or Shrimp?
Moderator Emeritus (frozen in carbonite.)

Random avatar

Mon Aug 29, 2005 4:37 pm
Sponson Light says...

Guys a black hole isnt a hole, its a giant gravity ball of doom. It looks like a hole because its round and you cant see it well.
You dont go in, look at it this way, make a ball of clay, thats your black hole, now take a tiny bit of clay, re roll that clay ball, its only going to get bigger.
Or at least I hope it is.

Shrimp.

594 Reviews

Reviews: 594
Mon Aug 29, 2005 9:10 pm
Crysi says...

*laughs* Shrimp reminds me of Preston... Can't believe he's a senior! He's awesome, but he cracks your upper back when he hugs you. Ouch, it hurts.

Anyway. Shrimp.
Love and Light

If you receive a bribe, you must report it in your income.
— John Oliver