z

Young Writers Society

Need Help!

106 Reviews

Reviews: 106
Sun Jan 25, 2009 2:55 pm
Flux says...

Hey, so if you notice, I'm only thirteen. I think I have no talent for writing whatsoever (I don't believe in saying you're good at something unless you successful) but I am a dedicated writer. I write almost everyday, as good as I can.

I've been thinking about publishing seriously since last summer. And I'm wondering how to go about it. I haven't finished any novels yet, and I've found some contests to enter, but sadly those won't let me send to a publisher if I send a copy to them.

So, I need some help. If you've got any tips to help prepare me, and what to do before I send something to publishing, where's a good company that might look over my work, etc., etc. I need to know absolutely everything. So that I know what to do when the time comes (and it will!) And so that can also look really smart in front of my parents.

So you can post here if you have any tips, or you can pm me. Either way i'll get it. Thanks!

LaReina!
"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person.

Give him a mask and he will tell you the truth."

-- Oscar Wilde

158 Reviews

Reviews: 158
Sun Jan 25, 2009 5:28 pm
Lauren says...

At your age, the chances of getting published are very small :( But it's not impossible.
Usually writers who seek publication would employ a literary agent first, which can be found easily on the web. It's their job to promote your work to publishers. They have loads of connections and influence in the publishing world.
However, I don't think you'll have much luck that way. Lit agents are out for a profit and the chances of your getting publishing at so young an age are slim.
But you could try.
If I were you, I'd wait it out. Get loads more practice and experience writing. Your debut should be something really special--don't you think you have improving to do? In my case, I thought I was the bees knees at writing when 13, then reread a couple of years later and saw how much I'd improved. There's a reason why the vast majority of publisher writers are adults.
Good luck to you, nevertheless.

Random avatar

Reviews: 56
Sun Jan 25, 2009 6:35 pm
thunder_dude7 says...

If you haven't finished any novels, then that eliminates the most complicated parts of publishing your work. Short stories are usually rather simple to get published. However, don't think that "simple" means "easy". The process of submission is the easy part. Actually getting published is hard work.

Literary agents are used for novels, and they're not involved much among short story publications, so don't worry about that.

If you'd like to publish a short story, you'd be best off sending it to a literary magazine. Some good magazines can be found at the top of the YWS page:

Resources > Online Resources

There is a list of literary magazines there that you can send work to. Usually, you're chances of getting published are determined purely on your piece, rather than age. However, less experience will hurt your chances.

Some of the magazines on the list are very open to young writers. Those would probably be your best starting point.

47 Reviews

Reviews: 47
Sun Jan 25, 2009 6:53 pm
dragnet says...

Well, first thing that you need is an agent. Someonewho will get you the best deal, the best way to get as many books out there from the best publisher. Have your agent call into the company and tell them that they're sending over a copy of your work, and that they thing that it is AWSOME! If you don't it will go into a junk pile and no one will look at it for months. The publisher will read it, like it, call your agent, and make an awsome deal! Then, after some work, your book is published!

Any questions? Then PM me!
Many ask me if I see the glass as half full or half empty. Well, I don't know about you, but I see the glass as, WHO DRANK HALF OF MY MILK?!?!?!

99 Reviews

Reviews: 99
Sun Jan 25, 2009 7:10 pm
Monki says...

I actually disagree with the person above who said that at your age, it will be harder for you to get published. You just have to find the right agent. It can be especially helpful if you have your parents or an adult (maybe a teacher that you're close with) help you find a good agent (one that believes and tells you that they are sure they can help you get your book published). Having adults involved in this process makes it easier on you.

Granted, you don't see many thirteen-year-old published authors these days, but there are some. It's just a matter of whether your book is considered good enough for publication. I'm not speaking from experience, though I am in the process of novel writing and am hoping to get it published, but I have done my research, and I, too, was worried about my age being a factor. But, fear not. There are plenty of adults who have gotten turned down/rejected, and when your work is accepted, you'll know that you've done well, and you'll realize that age is no factor.

But, I do suggest that you write the novel first, before pursuing agents and publishers. Because if you contact agents/publishers before you finish your novel, and your novel is accepted, you're going to have a deadline to have the novel done. You're going to have to constantly worry about getting it done on time. So, what I'm doing, is I'm waiting until I actually write my novel before I go out, searching for agents and publishers. It'll be a lot easier and less stressful that way. :)

PM me if you have any questions or need any help. :]

-Monki
Tom Riddle: "You read my diary?"
Harry Potter: "At first, I did not know it was your diary. I thought it was a very sad, handwritten book."

106 Reviews

Sun Jan 25, 2009 7:32 pm
Flux says...

Well, thanks all. I am waiting until I finish before I publish, of course. The problem is, I know you're trying to help and all, but why does age have to be a factor? *Stops* Okay, I won't rant today, because I totally could. but aren't determined and talented writers allowed to go to publishing? Actually, who knows if I'm talented. Just a personal opinion, I guess, that I'm not talented.

But you were all bunches of help. Thanks!

And Monki-- best picture ever.

LaReina!

-- Oscar Wilde

99 Reviews

Reviews: 99
Sun Jan 25, 2009 7:36 pm
Monki says...

xD You're welcome, and thanks. :]
Tom Riddle: "You read my diary?"
Harry Potter: "At first, I did not know it was your diary. I thought it was a very sad, handwritten book."

Random avatar

Reviews: 13
Mon Jan 26, 2009 12:45 am
LydiaB says...

Don't be afraid of rejection.
You can be rejected 99 times and the one time you succeed will make it all worth it.
Find an adult who may know something about publishing (an english teacher, librarian etc.) and ask them for help. There's also the option of doing self-publishing, though for some reason that is typically looked down upon in the literary world *sighs*
But whatever you do, keep writing. Practice makes perfect and writing more can only make you better.
-Lydia
Is Pat Buchanan the answer to everything in your life? If so, put "Pat Buchanan" in your signature.

If you're looking for a good fantasy story in need of help...
Purple Magic
:D

280 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 280
Mon Jan 26, 2009 12:48 am
Nutty says...

Hrmmm. You could try asking that WhiteKinight guy that's around here somewhere, he claims to be a publisher. I mean, if you don't trust your story into his hands as of yet, he should at least know the process.
It's not easy having a good time. Even smiling makes my face ache.

158 Reviews

Mon Jan 26, 2009 6:58 pm
Lauren says...

The problem is, I know you're trying to help and all, but why does age have to be a factor?

In an ideal world, it wouldn't be. And it shouldn't be---talent should be the only factor, not the age/sex/or otherwise of the writer. But publishers will be biased. They're out to make a profit, and they weigh up the chances of you being successful. There is also the potential fame of being an author... a strain to any teenager, I should think?

280 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 280
Mon Jan 26, 2009 7:03 pm
Nutty says...

But then you get huge publicity if they do make it. I bet who ever published Paloni is rolling in it, whether they should have published him however, is debatable.
You're right, publishers want to make money. But if they see real talent, they will also see the hype they could raise by having a 'child prodigy'. (sorry LaReina, I know you're not a kid, I'm just imagining what would be said)
It's not easy having a good time. Even smiling makes my face ache.

106 Reviews

Mon Jan 26, 2009 11:09 pm
Flux says...

If you're talking about if I'm a "Child prodigy" forget it. I'm amazing at nothing, and that's a fact. I'm glad all us writers seem to agree here. Why should age be the factor? The truth is, all I really wanted to know is the whole process or publishing.

What happens if I get published? What profit will I make? and so no and so forth. I am going to make it my life goal to get a book published, etc,. etc,. So, if anyone knows absoultely anything about these, let me know. These are "just-in-case"'s. I am hopeful I will get published, but if I don't, hey. I'll know alot about the publishing process!

-- Oscar Wilde

158 Reviews

Tue Jan 27, 2009 11:04 am
Lauren says...

Hmm, interesting... I wonder if, on a minor getting published, the parents get some of the profit? It wouldn't be fair.
Still, I've promised to buy my parents a house in Goa if I'm rich one day from getting published.

106 Reviews

Wed Jan 28, 2009 6:58 pm
Flux says...

:lol: I remember telling my mom that I'd buy her a vacation house in Barbados with a private jet. So... yeah. i'm sure I could just Google this question and something will come up ;)

-- Oscar Wilde

Random avatar

Reviews: 0
Thu Jan 29, 2009 3:54 am
whiteKnight says...

Hi!

Okay, so I'm pretty lucky I found your post...!
My partner and I are trying to start up a publishing company, and we're looking for a young writer (between the ages of 13-25) who is finished or almost finished one or more of their novels. It's completely free of charge, obviously (publishers don't require money from the authors), and there's no need for an agent.

We started this company because we, as young writers, know that it is near impossible to get your book published at a young age, especially if you don't have an agent; and it's VERY hard to get an agent at 13!!!

So if you want to give it a shot, you can email us at whiteKnight.Publishing@hotmail.com and ask for more information. We don't have our website set up yet, though.

You have nothing to lose-- either your book sells and you become famous ( :) ) and earn money, or it doesn't, and you get 100 copies of your book. Either way, it's pretty much win-win.

I can understand why you wouldn't necessarily trust us; after all, what's the guarantee that we won't steal your book and sell it under our own name? (We'll give you our information so that you can track us down in the impossible event that that does happen :) )

But like I said, if you want to give it a shot, just email us!

Thanks!

-whiteKnight Publishing

EDIT: Nutty, we're girls :).

Cheat your landlord if you can and must, but do not try to shortchange the Muse. It cannot be done. You can’t fake quality any more than you can fake a good meal.
— William S. Burroughs