z

Young Writers Society

What's your dream job?

425 Reviews

Reviews: 425
Sat Dec 11, 2004 8:40 pm
Nate says...

This is a question that has particular relevance for myself at least since I'm going to have to start sending in applications this winter break for jobs that begin in September.

Right now, I'm applying for tons of jobs. One is as a private school teacher (see if I like teaching and, if so, get my masters in education and then teach in public schools for more money), another is for working at a think tank, working for a venture capital firm, working for the park police, working for a firm on Wall Street, and a thousand other jobs. As you can see, I'm quite contradictory in what I'm applying for ;)

But, if I had my absolute choice, I would want to be the Secretary of State of the United States. Honestly, I have no idea why they choose Rice to replace Powell over me...

So, what is everyone else's dream job? And saying something like "bestselling writer" does not count! We all want to be that :xmas_happy:

13 Reviews

Reviews: 13
Mon Dec 13, 2004 12:38 am
norris_redford says...

Writer. But that was expected....
Non omnis moriar.

418 Reviews

Reviews: 418
Mon Dec 13, 2004 1:42 am
electricbluemonkey says...

Apart from writer, I would like to be a crime scene investigator. I don't know why, it just seems cool. Or I always liked to ocean so also an oceanographer or a...don't laugh...Sea World trainer...
Gotta a find a woman be good to me,
Who won't hide my liquor, try to serve me tea.

594 Reviews

Reviews: 594
Mon Dec 13, 2004 3:14 am
Crysi says...

Hey! You took my ideas! Well, sort of..

I would love to be involved in forensics. I love that kind of stuff. Or I would like to have a job in marine biology.. Or something with computer programming.. Video game programming, perhaps?

Or Video game testing.. :twisted:

87 Reviews

Reviews: 87
Mon Dec 13, 2004 3:19 am
Perra says...

I think I'd enjoy being an animal behaviorist that doesn't have to travel very much, but can and be paid to do it, instead of paying a whole lot to do it! Or studying history. Something in engineering might suit me, but I think I'm better at doing that stuff in class. Can't think of anything else right now...
YWS gives me carpal tunnel.

Need a Critique?

Evil lurks everywhere, often in plain sight...Can you lurk in plain sight? Or is that just walking?

103 Reviews

Reviews: 103
Mon Dec 13, 2004 4:06 am
Tessitore says...

Besides being a writer (which I hope to do successfully enough that I don't HAVE to work) I would like to be a...

Psychologist
Teacher
Club owner
Animal Shelter volunteer/worker... person
Actor
Director (documentaries mostly)
Dancer
Singer
Book-store owner (with book cats, must have book cats)

And I've always liked the idea that if I'm in a good enough financial situation that I'll buy this big huge house in my little town here in the boondocks (Missouri) and renovate it to have a sort of lounge/hang out place that just offers a place to be during the week for teenagers that'll also have, say, a full kitchen for cooking classes, and poetry circles and writing circles and music discussion and book discussion and movie discussion and awareness programs and just... neat things. With little or no charge where a group of kids could just come and hang out and be with friends with no religious or financial obligations to speak of. Televisions and books and stuff available. Classes to go to... that sort of thing. I think it'd be neat.

...and stuff.
I'm not even angry... I'm being so sincere right now.
Even though you broke my heart.
And killed me... And tore me to pieces.
And threw every piece into a fire.
-"Still Alive"- GLaDOS

488 Reviews

Reviews: 488
Mon Dec 13, 2004 4:14 am
Meshugenah says...

lets see, writer, physcologist, teacher, genetics are fun, have the biggest library in the world lol, linguist, arechologist.. i think that's it.. lol musician!

but i will never win a spelling bee.

594 Reviews

Reviews: 594
Tue Dec 14, 2004 1:21 am
Crysi says...

Lol, I jokingly planned out the rest of my life while in Utah with my family:

After I become a best-selling author and make millions, I'm going to buy a large mansion up in Utah (Huntsville area), with huge windows and huge fireplaces. Of course, I'd hire people to clean all those windows and fireplaces.. :wink:

But really, I would LOVE to live up in that area. My dad might retire to there, so I might get a chance to live there.. Seeing the snow-covered mountains is so beautiful, especially when you have a view of the valley at the same time.

So THAT'S what I wanna do.

Hey, my english teacher now works at Borders on the weekends.. Very cool. :D

87 Reviews

Tue Dec 14, 2004 3:44 am
Perra says...

I used to have my future planned out. Not how I got there, though, but it was;
Have a ranch with lots of horses and dogs, be a veterinarian, artist, and writer! I'd write books using animals(namely wolves and dogs :xmas_wink: ).
Then my dream grew a little smaller with fewer horses and dogs.
Then it became to want to be an actress. Any hopes of singing were smashed when I found out that I'm not a good singer :cry: . Although I love to dance(non free-style)! :mrgreen:
***WARNING! LONG RANT ON DREAMS OF FUTURE!!***
Now my dream(emphasis on dream, infact, just call it a daydream!) has been to finish my story before I graduate, get it published and have it become a big enough hit that I get a movie deal for it before I graduate. In the movie I play one of the characters, and help advise the main people making the movie(of course I'm supervising the screenwriting. NO ONE will destroy MY beautiful peice of work!). Also, my best friend will play another character based on her, and my crush his. Romshon and Selene will be played by a good actor and actress, who are good-looking(so the rest of the cast already mentioned wont over power them! :xmas_wink: lol! j/k! :D ). Alexis Denisof plays Zoar, because he's such a great actor, and I'll have his wife Alyson Hannigan playing SOMEONE(I don't know who...I need more red-headed people in the story...wait, an idea just struck me!), because she is also a great actress! The movie follows the book closely, putting in changes only when needed. My creatures will look proportional and realistic, despite being mostly CGI. Anyway, movie's a hit and then I finish the second part of the story(which I planned to have about two monthes after I started writing and that's why the ending isn't supposed to feel finished, so no one can say I did it because of public demand!). Second movie is done, most likely comes out my first year at college(at which I don't have to get a loan for! :mrgreen: :xmas_wink:). Both movies are great! :thumb: :thumb: Probably get a few awards at the minor award shows(everything but Oscars being minor). Maybe we'll get lucky and get a nomination for the Oscars. After those two books and movies, I begin writing on other stories for that world, and some others. Those are good. Maybe I do another movie or two(not on my stories). I get married to a great handsome guy(who has a good job himself and isn't at least mostly dependent on me). We buy a house that's big enough for us and a future child(so, not a mansion, although I'll make sure the gardens are great!). We have a dog and cat, at least. Maybe two or so horses. We have a family(after moving out of the small home) with two girls and one boy(I've got full names for all of them already, save their last name.) They aren't spoiled. Over all, pretty successful and happy life!
***END OF NOT-SO-REALISTIC RANT!***
But, what most likely will happen is that I go to college on loans, hopefully with a friend, and not in the South! Maybe Northern Arkansas...I'll most likely(at this rate) get my first boyfriend in college(finaly! Someone woke up and smelled the hottie! lol). After college, I get a career and write as a hobby. I'll get married when I'm around 25-26, if I'm ready and have found the right man and we'll start out in an apartment(that allows pets). We'll have kids(hopefully the two girls and boy mentioned above, because I HAVE to use those three full names!) three or so years later when we're financially stable. By this time we'll have moved into a bigger house(and out of the apartment). By this time in my life I'll have hopefully completed something, and maybe be searching for a publisher. Eventually I might actually find one that'll publish me. People who read it will enjoy. I don't look to being famous.
Last edited by Perra on Sun Dec 19, 2004 6:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Need a Critique?

Evil lurks everywhere, often in plain sight...Can you lurk in plain sight? Or is that just walking?

1274 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1274
Thu Dec 16, 2004 1:31 am
niteowl says...

I have so many dream jobs! If I don't become a best-selling author I want to be a singer, actress, or forensic scientist. Yes I am aware those first two are unrealistic. My "dream" is similar to Perra's.

It also might be cool to open my own business. I know it'd be a ton of work, but then I have more options. Being as flighty as I am, that might be a good idea.

funny thing about that: I was reading this "All About Me" book my little sis filled out. (i can be nosy when it somes to her, but then again her diary is so boring it's a waste of my time). Anyway, there was this section on what a movie about your life would be like. She didn't really have a plot or anything. Her title was: Alexis the POPSTAR! and under Places I would visit she worte Hawaii.

Okay, now for something vaguely related to the original topic. There was a page on where you'll be in 10 years. She will be 19, and she said she'll live in the Bahamas and drive a Mercedes. Uh-huh. sooooo realistic. :lol:

14 Reviews

Reviews: 14
Thu Dec 16, 2004 3:48 am
iced.cappuchino says...

Meshugenah wrote:[...]genetics are fun[...]

I agree, though I shudder at the workload my friend in organic chemistry has. *shudder shudder!*

Maybe I'll go into communications and politics (that's political journalism). Travel around for a bit, scrounging for cash with part time jobs, learn about the real world, then scrap something that'll be passable enough to be published then work off the rest of my life as a night shift taxi driver.

Live life day to day; don't have adventure (read: trouble) find you, go chasing after it.

/beginsarcasm
OR! I could perhaps put all of these physics classes into something useful and REALLY design some weapons for the Pentagon. Always choose the winning side in war, anyone?

Think it'll come with a good pension plan? *wry grin*
/endsarcasm

145 Reviews

Reviews: 145
Thu Dec 16, 2004 11:16 pm
Skye says...

Besides a writer I would like to bring aid to countries that need it through some organization like UNICEF or Medecins de Frontieres (sp?). I think that would be great, and I'd also get to travel all over the world, which is always a plus.
"A poet in love is best encouraged in both capacities or neither." ~ Jane Austen, Emma.

701 Reviews

Reviews: 701
Sat Dec 18, 2004 10:20 pm
bubblewrapped says...

Thank God! I finally found the YWS again! My computer went mental and I lost the site :shock: but I'm back. Whew. Hi!

Anyway, back on topic. Personally, my dream (and I havent told anyone this, so you should feel privileged lol)...I want to travel. And I dont mean just yknow go and see the big stuff, I want to stay in different places and move around for like 6 months at a time, like this friend of my mums does (of course, he's rich, unlike me... :( ), and to actually really see what its like living in all sorts of places in all sorts of countries. Like backpacking, although I know its pretty dangerous these days. Besides the obvious wish to experience the world, I really dislike it when things stay the same. For the past few years my life has been one day repeated over and over and it gets dull. So change is necessary!

I'd love to get published (well, some of my poems already have been, but it doesnt count because they were in a book with loads of other kids poems or in the local newspaper) but I think I need to grow up a bit more before I can write anything worth reading, so my goal (realistic or not) is to write my first novel before I'm 30. My ideal job, besides a bestselling author, would be either a singer (I love to sing...pity about the voice though LOL) or a political journalist...I dont fully understand my country's politics but it fascinates me all the same. And a TV journalist would (possibly) get to travel to all these new places too. I like genetics too. A micro-biologist maybe? Or I'd like to be a photographer. I adore taking pics and videoing things. Who knows though, eh? It changes. One thing I'm pretty certain on however is that if ever I get rich enough, I'm going to run an animal shelter, because I LOVE animals.

I think this little question is appropriate here:

What would you do if you knew you could not fail?
Got a poem or short story you want me to critique?

There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way, and not to give others absurd maddening claims upon it. (C D Morley)

221 Reviews

Reviews: 221
Sun Dec 19, 2004 6:02 am
Elelel says...

I want to be a writer,(don't care about writing bestseller, just as long as I can write full time) I don't really have another dream, but that one does have more detail then "I want to be a writer"...
I manage to finish the book I'm working on before I finish school (and I illustrate the cover too), then I'll go to uni (no detail on that yet, note to self: work on uni part of dream future in maths) and continue to write the next few books in the seris (there are 4 or 5 and illustrate the covers too, I like art) and get a job in a book shop or library. Maybe about halfway through the seris I'm getting enough money from it to go full time (maybe not then, just as long as it does happen). I can just imagine myself sitting down at my own home writing each and every day. Hmmm, note to self: invent dream family. But anyway, it's not tooooooooooo impossible, it could happen.
Oh, you're angry! Click your pen.
--Music and Lyrics

87 Reviews

Sun Dec 19, 2004 6:33 pm
Perra says...

I'm going to draw what I want to be the cover art. Then I'll give that to who the publishers hire, and I'll also make sure that there are NO people on both the back and front covers. Depending on the medium used, I don't like seeing people on book covers.

bubblewrapped wrote:I think this little question is appropriate here:

What would you do if you knew you could not fail?

If I couldn't fail? Finish writing my story, get it published, write the second story, get it published. Become an actress, hopefully for a Joss Whedon show, if he ever comes back to TV(stupid reality shows!). Maybe get the part of Luna Lovegood in the fifth Harry Potter movie(she's probably already cast, but this is if you couldn't fail!). Speak out against our current president and his actions is important to do. I'd keep writing and getting published, and eventually work up a strong fan base(whatever the size). I'd also have another job, maybe in engineering, maybe in history, maybe in animals. Um....I don't know what else....Basically, it's all in my post above.

Need a Critique?

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.
— Thomas Edison