z

Young Writers Society

Exam Results

Random avatar

Reviews: 115
Fri Aug 15, 2008 10:47 am
andimlovegalore says...

I got ABBBB
That's an A in English Literature and a B in French, Spanish, History and General Studies.
That's for my AS so I'm gonna re-sit some modules of French and maybe Spanish to bump me up to an A because I wasn't far off really.

Did anyone else get their results back for AS or A levels? Or even GCSE (that was a while ago)..

I don't know how the US system works or anywhere else, but maybe someone will know and explain ^^

344 Reviews

Reviews: 344
Fri Aug 15, 2008 10:57 am
Eimear says...

Hello!

Well done on your fantastic results.

I'm in the same position as you- except I come from Northern Ireland. But everything works the same as I'm still technically in the United Kingdom.

I got AABB

A in History, A in English, B in Psychology, B in Religion.

I don't want to resit any of mine, I'm chuffed to bits! And I have absolutely no idea how the US system works! Any help?
We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.

Oscar Wilde.

Random avatar

Fri Aug 15, 2008 10:59 am
andimlovegalore says...

Wow an A in History =D did you do the same course as me? Louis XIV and Henry VII - it was either that or Hitler I think ^_~ I thought it was a pretty difficult course anyway, I'm happy with a B (also I'm dropping it next year so I'm not bothered much).

Are you planning to go on to uni?

344 Reviews

Reviews: 344
Fri Aug 15, 2008 11:34 am
Eimear says...

Yeah I want to go to University- but not for History! The truth is that I don't like it very much XD. My course was Lenin and Mussolini- not sure if you know it? I'm planning to do a joint degree in English and Psychology.

What about yourself?
We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.

Oscar Wilde.

68 Reviews

Reviews: 68
Fri Aug 15, 2008 12:29 pm
sofi says...

An A in history?! that's pretty impressive.

I'm taking it next year and everyone keeps telling me hard the course is :(

GCSE results come out on the 21st. well they do for me anyway. I'm really not looking forward to it.
'Don't you just love these long rainy afternoons in New Orleans when an hour isn't just an hour but a little bit of Eternity dropped into your hands- and who knows what to do with it?'
T.W.

Random avatar

Fri Aug 15, 2008 12:46 pm
andimlovegalore says...

Don't worry too much Sofi =D I was FREAKED over my GCSE results, I was sure I was gonna do badly (and everyone I knew felt the same) but I got 5As and 6A*s despite thinking I'd done rubbish in all the exams.

Eimear - I don't know the course but I now the general subject =]
English and Psych sounds interesting! I kind of wish I'd done psychology but I thought it might make me angry looking at mental health from a clinical/academic point of view rather than a personal one...
I'm looking at a course of French-Japanese which is awesome! I always wanted to do English before that really, but I kind of changed my mind these last few years.

11 Reviews

Reviews: 11
Fri Aug 15, 2008 3:49 pm
HC says...

I didn't get any results, obviously, since I'm not doing exams until next year - but my sister got AAC. A in English Lit&Lang Combines, A in Sociology and C in History. Only two marks away from a B in History. :(

You guys did amazing in all of your exams!

Random avatar

Reviews: 56
Fri Aug 15, 2008 5:31 pm
View Likes
thunder_dude7 says...

I don't know about college courses or anything, but basically, we have 7 classes: 4 core classes(English, Math, History, Science), gym (With my school, you go to gym up until you finish 10th grade, then it is removed) and electives.

Electives are extra classes that we chose from lists. In grades 7-10, you get two periods for electives. Some electives last only half the year, so after you finish them, a new elective replaces it. Some last the entire year.

After gym is removed, that period becomes free for another elective, and gym is added as an option, though I don't know anybody that actually continues.

19 Reviews

Reviews: 19
Fri Aug 15, 2008 8:03 pm
Autumn says...

Congrats on all your results! :)

I just got my AS results sent through the post..

I got:
-A for art
-B for product design
-not sure what I got overall for ICT but I got A for coursework and DC for exams. So that'd probably round to a C overall.
-ACE for general studies (not sure what that is overall either)

I'm so pleased about art :D ICT and general studies exams I think I may retake next year though, since I didn't do so well in them >-< And possibly one of the product design papers to boost my grade to an A since I wasn't far off.. I'm not really sure how it works/how many you can retake though, anyone know?
But there's still tomorrow
Forget the sorrow
And I can be on the last train home

Random avatar

Fri Aug 15, 2008 10:16 pm
andimlovegalore says...

I think you can retake as many as you like... but it'd be bad to do too many because you have to do them in your A2 year and it could mess up your A2 results. As far as I know it costs about £13 ... or something, and you can take it again in January and then again with the AS people doing their first sitting of the exam.

189 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 189
Fri Aug 15, 2008 10:54 pm
tinny says...

You can basically retake as many times are available and you can afford. One of my friends that did a third year with me ended up sitting the same paper about five times. There are only the two exam seasons, January and Summer. Some subjects have limitations though; there are a number of AQA science papers that you can only sit in the Summer, and one of the English papers I resat could only be done in January because of question rotations--there was a specific question on the paper just for resit students. So you really need to check it out with your teachers.

But if you do want to do resits, make sure you apply as soon as you can when you get back. I only really did AQA, and they're £12.something pence, but if you miss the deadline you have to pay £5 extra, and that increases the longer you leave it.

You all did really really well and I hate you all >____>
please grant me my small wish; (love me to the marrow of my bones)

497 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 497
Fri Aug 15, 2008 11:00 pm
Teague says...

Bwaha! *American invasion*

I got these back a long time ago, but I Exceeded all three AIMS tests [state standard tests -- you have to meet the standard to graduate. It goes "Falls Far Below" to "Approaches" to "Meets" to "Exceeds." Each is in relation to "the standard"]. Which is awesome because there's a state university tuition waiver I can get with those kinds of marks. :D

I suppose you could consider the AIMS like your GCSEs (right? Those are the ones you take first?) because they're taken at the same age. Except the "pass to graduate" thing is fairly recent. Although each state has their own tests, and the test you need to take to get into most universities/apply for scholarships is the SATs/ACTs, which are relatively identical tests, but they have different names [obviously] and different scoring systems. Not every university requires these tests -- a lot of state universities have them as an "OR" requirement; this grade point average OR this SAT/ACT score OR ladedah. Don't ask me to explain how they're scored. xD Which reminds me, I need to sign up for the Pre-SAT in October and take the SAT in July. D:

There's also Advanced Placement tests -- AP Tests -- where you can earn college credit for taking college level classes in high school settings and getting a certain score on the test. I'm enrolled in a lot of AP classes.

Nickel explanation for the win. xD

-:pirate3:
"2-4-6-8! I like to delegate!" -Meshugenah
"Teague: Stomping on your dreams since 1992." -Sachiko
"So I'm looking at FLT and am reminded of a sandwich." -Jabber

758 Reviews

Reviews: 758
Sat Aug 16, 2008 1:20 am
Cade says...

Whoo Saint for popping in on the American side...yeah, here AP's are sort of national achievement tests. You can score a 1-5, 1 being the lowest and 5 being the highest. Ideally they're college-level courses, and a 3 is supposed to be "qualified" at the college level, with 4 and 5 being variations on "qualified-more". This year I took AP English Language & Composition, AP US History, and AP Physics B. Next year I shall take even more, lucky me. I got a 5 on the Lang & Comp, and 4's on USH and Physics. Last year I got a 5 on the World History. Yay! Possible college credit...I guess the idea is that by taking AP's you can get college credit hours, but at many more prestigious colleges/universities in the US, that doesn't happen. And unfortunately, I'm quite interested in the prestigious colleges (top three choices Swarthmore, Kenyon, Wellesley), where I *might* get placement (i.e. skipping an intro course) for my scores, but probably not credit.

Maybe this is a stupid question...what does GCSE stand for?
"My pet, I've been to the devil, and he's a very dull fellow. I won't go there again, even for you..."

497 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 497
Sat Aug 16, 2008 3:13 am
Teague says...

I'm probably wrong, but isn't it General Certificate of Secondary Education? Something like that?

And go me for taking AP tests but going to a state university -- Arizona State ftw! =D I'm taking the English/Composition test and APUSH tests this year. Any tips, love?

-:pirate3:
"2-4-6-8! I like to delegate!" -Meshugenah
"Teague: Stomping on your dreams since 1992." -Sachiko
"So I'm looking at FLT and am reminded of a sandwich." -Jabber

68 Reviews

Reviews: 68
Sat Aug 16, 2008 12:23 pm
sofi says...

Hmm it's either that or General Certificate of Standard Education.

something along those lines anyways :D

5 days to go. AAHHH :(
'Don't you just love these long rainy afternoons in New Orleans when an hour isn't just an hour but a little bit of Eternity dropped into your hands- and who knows what to do with it?'
T.W.

Life's short; smile while you still have teeth.
— Tuesday