z

Young Writers Society

new worlds

Random avatar

Reviews: 27
Thu Jul 10, 2008 6:22 pm
powerofwords2008 says...

hey. i see all these sections about novels, poetry, band geeks, and all of that, but what about the different worlds aspect of the whole novel genre. does anybody have any advice for me on how to do that? how i can make my own world and make it seem real and not just like something i came up with off the top of my head?

47 Reviews

Reviews: 47
Thu Jul 10, 2008 9:58 pm
View Likes
ProfessorRabbit says...

Well, it is going to be something you thought of off the top of your head. The way to make everything work seamlessly is to know everything about your world. This means information that might not even appear in your story. You need to know the history of the world, and you need to know, in-depth, the cultures of the people who live in it. You need to lay out a map and define the geography. I wouldn't recommend making up a language unless you've studied that kind of thing in school. Once you've got the land laid out, you need to place all the man-made landmarks like cities, monasteries, roadways, etc.

I'm bad at explaining. Long story short, the key to creating a realistic world is to plan it out carefully and know every single detail, even if most of those details never actually appear in your story.
Frylock, please, no books! I can't read; I'm not a loser!
-Master Shake

497 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 497
Thu Jul 10, 2008 10:28 pm
Teague says...

viewgroup.php?f=156

-:pirate3:
"2-4-6-8! I like to delegate!" -Meshugenah
"Teague: Stomping on your dreams since 1992." -Sachiko
"So I'm looking at FLT and am reminded of a sandwich." -Jabber

A snowball in the face is surely the perfect beginning to a lasting friendship.
— Markus Zusak, The Book Thief