z

Young Writers Society

Neutral Milk Hotel

402 Reviews

Reviews: 402
Thu Jun 26, 2008 4:09 am
Clo says...

I'm just curious if there's any other Neutral Milk Hotel fans. Or haters.

I have both of their albums and adore them. And "In the Aeroplane Over the Sea" is basically one of the 90s classics!

I also have some of their EP stuff, and other people's covers of their stuff. I use their music as an artistic muse. So it's really important to me. :D
How am I not myself?

1258 Reviews

Reviews: 1258
Thu Jun 26, 2008 4:14 am
Sam says...

Mmm, yes, In the Aeroplane Over the Sea is probably the best album I've ever heard. ^_^ It's so not-beautiful and raw, and yet the lyrics are amazing--they're kind of my unofficial writers' bible.

It's too bad Suzanne is on vacation. I converted her. XD
Graffiti is the most passionate form of literature there is.

- Demetri Martin

402 Reviews

Thu Jun 26, 2008 4:22 am
Clo says...

I try to convert everyone subtly. "Here's this band... and his one... oh, and I'll give you this CD too, this is my favorite."

A lot of people are turned off by Jeff Mangum's voice, but I love how raw and pained it sounds. And the fuzz base. Makes it all surreal, dirty and amazing. :) Too bad the band doesnt exist anymore, but I think it somehow makes it better.

The music is rare, and no more cometh. So you just have to cherish the two albums and EPs.

My personal favorite is the "Two Headed Boy" duo. The story behind it just baffles and astounds me. And the imagery is beautiful and hideous.
How am I not myself?

1258 Reviews

Reviews: 1258
Thu Jun 26, 2008 4:47 am
View Likes
Sam says...

They have that kind of Elliot Smith factor--they're not around anymore, so it's twice as cool. XD

I lovelove the characters in Two Headed Boy, plus Goldaline and the Pree sisters. It's so weird how you can pick all of these people out of a line or two in the songs; but they have their own storylines and weird emotional plots underneath it, too.
Graffiti is the most passionate form of literature there is.

- Demetri Martin

2058 Reviews

Reviews: 2058
Mon Jun 30, 2008 1:36 am
Emerson says...

oooh. Well. You can thank Sam for getting me addicted. Oh, Comely is my current ring tone.

I would say more, but I'm on vacation, and trying to make my way through 2,000 posts, haha. I'll come back and be more friendly.
β€œIt's necessary to have wished for death in order to know how good it is to live.”
― Alexandre Dumas, The Count of Monte Cristo

402 Reviews

Mon Jun 30, 2008 1:42 am
Clo says...

It's okay ^_^

Oh Comely is one of my favorites by them... though my ringtone right now is Heimsdalgate by Of Montreal. I would love to have The Fool as a ringtone. :D
How am I not myself?

34 Reviews

Reviews: 34
Sat Jul 26, 2008 2:59 am
sezPez says...

Wouldn't The Fool be a little too melancholy to be a ringtone though? I'd put Untitled as my ringtone (and watch people go "...bagpipes? Bagpipes?!"). I'm normally horrible when it comes to memorizing lyrics, but Two Headed Boy Pt. 2 is the only song I've ever memorized by ear.

402 Reviews

Sun Jul 27, 2008 12:09 am
Clo says...

I agree, I'd rather have untitled as a ringtone.

I have... every NMH memorized, pretty much. I've listened to their albums so many times in the past two years it might possibly be unhealthy.
How am I not myself?

they say money can't buy happiness, but what they don't realize is that money *can* buy novelty socks.
— blueca