17%
Don't Know/Care
44%

Total votes : 63

713 Reviews

Reviews: 713
Thu Jun 05, 2008 1:11 am
BigBadBear says...

I work at an elementary school, and I noticed that the school had no male teachers. Why? I wondered. Were they sexist or something? XD

What do you prefer? Male teachers? Female teachers? Don't know/care? And why?

I like male teachers better. They are much easier to relate to, and you can become friends with them better. I have 2 male teachers and I'm pretty open with them.

-Jared
Last edited by BigBadBear on Wed Jun 18, 2008 6:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Just write -- the rest of life will follow.

Would love help on this.

1258 Reviews

Reviews: 1258
Thu Jun 05, 2008 1:18 am
Sam says...

I tend to prefer my male teachers, but that's just because my nerdy interests are mannish. XD I think it's just that male teachers tend to be edgier, funnier, and have less of a "motherly" approach to things. Of course, there are a few noble exceptions, but most of my favorite teachers have been men.
Graffiti is the most passionate form of literature there is.

- Demetri Martin

2058 Reviews

Reviews: 2058
Thu Jun 05, 2008 1:24 am
Emerson says...

I don't really think gender plays into how I feel about teachers. If you're cool, you're cool. If you teach math, you are probably not cool. No, actually, I've had some really amazing math teachers.

But gender never matters to me. Madam, my French teacher, is amazing. But then so was old Lit teacher, Bryan. So...yeah. I mean, if they can tolerate me, they most be cool. I usually get along with all of my teachers unless there is something I just plain don't like about them. For example, my last history teacher gave power points made up from the text book, and this was supposed to be a college level class. So I was really bored. I liked her as a person, but not as a teacher. She couldn't teach.
“It's necessary to have wished for death in order to know how good it is to live.”
― Alexandre Dumas, The Count of Monte Cristo

387 Reviews

Reviews: 387
Thu Jun 05, 2008 1:29 am
yoha_ahoy says...

I don't care. Gender doesn't matter to me, basically for what reasons have already been stated. I've had amazing teachers of both sexes, and less amazing teachers on either side as well. It really doesn't make a difference.

~Yoyo 8)
@(^_^)@
Got YWS?

27 Reviews

Reviews: 27
Thu Jun 05, 2008 4:25 am
Manny says...

All the young female teachers were in elementary school, which I don't really remember. Most of the high school female teachers are old and/or obese. Plus, I'm a guy so I relate to guy teachers easier.

241 Reviews

Reviews: 241
Thu Jun 05, 2008 3:12 pm
lyrical_sunshine says...

I've had a couple favorite teachers; one was a man, the other was a woman. My tech teacher was a man, and every Friday he'd read to us - Dr. Suess, Lewis Carroll, Corrie Ten Boon - and he would somehow relate it to life. He was always joking around with me because I'm totally technologically illiterate. :)

My other favorite teacher was my choir teacher, and she had a voice fit for Broadway and sarcasm that would make our toughest manly show choir singers break down and cry. We had fun talking about Harry Potter, musicals, and being a farmer's wife when you were a performer at heart. She was awesome. :D

So pretty much I think it just depends on the person.
“We’re still here,” he says, his voice cold, his hands shaking. “We know how to be invisible, how to play dead. But at the end of the day, we are still here.” ~Dax

Teacher: "What do we do with adjectives in Spanish?"
S: "We eat them!"

410 Reviews

Reviews: 410
Thu Jun 05, 2008 7:04 pm
Alainna says...

My favourite teacher is maths teacher because he really cares about us and pushes me to do well - something I wasn't used to in Maths. I also had a really great English teacher who was female and who I would rank as one of my favourite teachers as well. I don't think gender bothers me too much. I mean, one of my best teachers was a woman, but she was very open to wearing men's clothes and having cropped hair etc. And she was definitely not motherly.

Alainna
xxx
Sanity is for the unimaginative.

Got YWS?

863 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 863
Thu Jun 05, 2008 9:32 pm
Griffinkeeper says...

I've worked with female teachers and male teachers, I don't really care one way or the other, so long as they know their subject.
Moderator Emeritus (frozen in carbonite.)

26 Reviews

Reviews: 26
Tue Jun 10, 2008 2:50 am
patience_isnt says...

I like male teachers better. Male teachers are easier to talk to, they don't get angry as easily, and they're easy to work with.

Reviews: 0
Tue Jun 10, 2008 2:56 am
itz cuz i luv u says...

ehh well i kinda perfer a women teacher cause of several occasions but that doesnt mean man teachers are bad i mean i do have a favorite man teacher that is really nice and understanding

758 Reviews

Reviews: 758
Tue Jun 10, 2008 3:03 am
Cade says...

Male teachers tend to be "funner" in that they're more boisterous and more willing to go out on a limb when they teach. They're more likely to make jokes. Most of my favorite teachers are male (as are many of my favorite writers...a coincidence?) but I've had some incredible female teachers too, as well as male teachers who are less fun. I think when a male teacher is a bad teacher, he's extra-horrible for some reason. There are few men teachers at my school who are in-between...you're either adored or despised by the student body, whereas many of the women teachers tend to be in-between.
"My pet, I've been to the devil, and he's a very dull fellow. I won't go there again, even for you..."

878 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 878
Tue Jun 10, 2008 11:24 am
Demeter says...

At the moment, I have two male teachers, and they're both much funnier than the female ones. Oh, now I remember! I finished junior high school on May 31st, so now I don't have their lessons anymore!! Waah! *weeps*
"Your jokes are scarier than your earrings." -Twit

"14. Pretend like you would want him even if he wasn't a prince. (Yeah, right.)" -How to Make a Guy Like You - Disney Princess Style

Got YWS?

504 Reviews

Reviews: 504
Tue Jun 10, 2008 12:22 pm
Dream Deep says...

I can't really judge. Before uni, I never had a male teacher; and since the events which have happened most recently are freshest in our memories (and since I recall being scared of nuns ^~) I'm inclined to say that I get along better with male teachers. This might be a misinformed opinion. We shall see.

You mentioned, BBB, that most of the teachers at your school were male... which I find odd. When I was in elementary school, all of the teachers were female. Every single one.

9 Reviews

Reviews: 9
Wed Jun 11, 2008 1:19 am
robyns37 says...

I don't know what it is, but I always have more fun, thus doing better in classes which I have a male teacher. I agree with many of the other posters on this thread that male teachers make more jokes and are more sarcastic then the female ones. I thought all through middle school that it was a coincidence that my favorite subject was science and that my teachers were all guys. (every teacher in the department was male actually) But then in High School I got a male English teacher who changed my life. I'm here now, not on a science site, but I think that the best teachers I've ever had were males. I have some good female teachers, but they're not the ones that I'll be quoting years to come.
May all of your endeavors be sucessful;
but if they aren't, write about them.
And if they are, write about them.
Just Write.

Random avatar

Reviews: 21
Wed Jun 11, 2008 2:55 pm
Antares says...

Male teachers tend to be funnier but I think female teachers are less strict. I went 7 years without having a male teacher so it's a nice change to finally have some. I suppose I don't care though because I have as many bad female teachers as I do male teachers. I guess I'll just vote male for now.

With great power... comes great need to take a nap. Wake me up later.
— Rick Riordan, The Heroes of Olympus