z

Young Writers Society

The Oprah Show --- World's Smartest Kids (Nancy Yi Fan)

Random avatar

Reviews: 0
Sat May 17, 2008 11:25 pm
swordbirdclub says...

http://www2.oprah.com/tows/slide/200805 ... _114.jhtml

When Nancy Yi Fan moved to the United States from Beijing, she was 7 years old and didn't speak a word of English. Determined to master the language, Nancy says she learned English by reading lots of books. Six years later, Nancy wasn't just a straight A student. At age 13, she became the youngest best-selling author in Harper Collins history. Nancy began writing her first fantasy novel, Swordbird, when she was 11 years old. "I love to read," she says. "Books were the fuel for me to start writing." In search of writing advice, Nancy e-mailed her manuscript to publishers she found online. A few weeks later, she says she received a surprising response—her book was accepted for publication. After hitting bookstore shelves, Swordbird flew to the top of the New York Times best-seller list. It's currently sold all over the world. "For all the other kids out there who want to pursue their dreams, follow your dreams," Nancy says. "Truly nothing is impossible."

Nancy's novels Swordbird and Sword Quest were put on Oprah's Books:

http://www2.oprah.com/tows/booksseen/to ... main.jhtml

721 Reviews

Reviews: 721
Sun May 18, 2008 5:11 pm
Azila says...

Hi, swordbirdclub! :D

I see you're new to YWS. We ask that you make two or three reviews of other peoples' work before posting anything of your own. This rule just keeps things balanced out.

Also, this isn't posted in the right place. I', going to PM one of the Mods (Moderators) and ask them to move it to In the News, or the Lounge, or something like that -- because not only is this not fiction, but you didn't write it. That could be mistaken for plagiarism. :wink:

About what you've written: I think this is amazing. I actually haven't heard of this girl, but I am in awe of her accomplishments and improvement. I think I would like to read her book now...

~Azila~

2058 Reviews

Reviews: 2058
Sun May 18, 2008 5:19 pm
Emerson says...

Moved to lounge. ^_^
“It's necessary to have wished for death in order to know how good it is to live.”
― Alexandre Dumas, The Count of Monte Cristo

Well, if I can't get this chapter to work....at least I will have exercised my fingers.
— Kaia