J.K. Rowling Suicide Thoughts

99 Reviews

Reviews: 99
Mon Mar 24, 2008 5:21 pm
Monki says...

Can you believe this?! Find out more here:

http://movies.aol.com/news/story/_a/pot ... 0109990001
Tom Riddle: "You read my diary?"
Harry Potter: "At first, I did not know it was your diary. I thought it was a very sad, handwritten book."

2058 Reviews

Reviews: 2058
Mon Mar 24, 2008 5:30 pm
Emerson says...

I can believe it. She is human...

"I have never been remotely ashamed of having been depressed. Never," Rowling was quoted as saying in her interview with Amini. "What's to be ashamed of? I went through a really rough time and I am quite proud that I got out of that."

I'm glad over this--good for her. I'm not a fan but still, I'm glad she found a way to overcome her depression. I think it isn't exactly the best in the world to know that she got over her depression because she became famous, although that may not have been the case. That's just how the article sounds.
“It's necessary to have wished for death in order to know how good it is to live.”
― Alexandre Dumas, The Count of Monte Cristo

99 Reviews

Mon Mar 24, 2008 5:37 pm
Monki says...

I agree. I guess I shouldn't have been surprised. Every "super star" claims to have been on binge of suicide, but still... I didn't expect it from her. Guess it's because she's one of my favorite authors of all time.
Harry Potter: "At first, I did not know it was your diary. I thought it was a very sad, handwritten book."

713 Reviews

Reviews: 713
Mon Mar 24, 2008 5:40 pm
BigBadBear says...

Well...

I don't know why it's such a big fuss. It happened 20 years ago... it's not really news now... it's in the past...

-Jared
Just write -- the rest of life will follow.

Would love help on this.

99 Reviews

Mon Mar 24, 2008 5:42 pm
Monki says...

Yeah, I thought she was thinking of suicide now. I was like "WHAT?! When you're a freaking legend?!?!!?!?!" Why did they have to bring it up? Just so her fans can turn on her?

Random avatar

Reviews: 665
Mon Mar 24, 2008 5:44 pm
deleted6 says...

Here she is milking anything she can. Talk about desperate :/.
We get off to the rhythm of the trigger and destruction. Fallujah to New Orleans with impunity to kill. We are the hidden fist of the free market.
We are the ink, we are the quill.
[The Ink And The Quill (Be Afraid) - Anti-Flag]

189 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 189
Mon Mar 24, 2008 5:51 pm
tinny says...

People have known about this for aaages.

I remember her talking about her depression when the third book came out, because she based the dementors on her experience with it, and that was why chocolate was the antidote because of its yummy yummy endorphins.

I'm not so sure about the whole 'she's milking it' thing; it came up in an interview didn't it? It could well have been something she was asked about.
please grant me my small wish; (love me to the marrow of my bones)

2058 Reviews

Mon Mar 24, 2008 6:17 pm
Emerson says...

She's not milking it, imo. She's just being honest. Lots of people have depression, it doesn't mean she wants attention for it. Perhaps she's saying it, as well, because with how depression is, there are going to be fans of hers that have depression. It might help them to know they aren't alone. Heck, even famous people get [were?] depressed.

That's my thought anyway. And why would her fans turn on her for this, Monki?
“It's necessary to have wished for death in order to know how good it is to live.”

99 Reviews

Mon Mar 24, 2008 6:18 pm
Monki says...

I for one, love J.K. Rowling. She's wonderful. She's not like that. She's not "milking it". I mean, you can have your opinion, but I know she is not milking it. She likes her fame, but she doesn't crave it like you think.

685 Reviews

Reviews: 685
Mon Mar 24, 2008 6:20 pm
Rei says...

Yeah, fish, it probably was something they did ask her about. The press is who is overdoing it. And I doubt she got over her depression by becoming famous. She got over it through behavioural therapy and gaining success. She was probably fine by the time she was earning a decent living and not rich yet.
Please, sit down before you fall down.
Belloq, "Raiders of the Lost Ark"

99 Reviews

Mon Mar 24, 2008 6:20 pm
Monki says...

Suzanne > Because I know quite a few people (some of my friends and acquaintances who believe that people just claim they're depressed to get attention.

79 Reviews

Reviews: 79
Mon Mar 24, 2008 6:23 pm
Cpt. Smurf says...

She's hardly 'milking it' - it's just one interview where she mentions the fact that she had suicidal thoughts. It's not as if she's going on every chat show in the country to talk about it, and she's not being all 'woe is me' about it, either.

I wonder why they're considering this such big news anyway. Good for her that she got over it, but it happened twenty years ago - why is it important now? Another example of the press blowing things all out of proportion, methinks.
There's always been a lot of tension between Lois and me, and it's not so much that I want to kill her, it's just, I want her to not be alive anymore.

~Stewie Griffin

2058 Reviews

Mon Mar 24, 2008 6:26 pm
Emerson says...

Well, headlines of course. JK ROWLING ADMITS TO DEPRESSION! could sell. Just because it's 20 years late doesn't stop the press. :lol:

Monki: Yes, I feel the same about that, but in this case, I can tell she's sincere. Like Cpt. said, it isn't as though she is making a big deal.

758 Reviews

Reviews: 758
Mon Mar 24, 2008 10:21 pm
Cade says...

JKR doesn't seem like the type of lady who likes getting attention. I mean, she keeps a pretty low profile when it comes to the press. This is probably just something that they asked her about and she told them. And she didn't have a breakdown or anything...I'm glad that she was able to pull herself through that. Good for her.
"My pet, I've been to the devil, and he's a very dull fellow. I won't go there again, even for you..."

You know that place between sleep and awake, that place where you still remember dreaming? That’s where I’ll always love you. That’s where I’ll be waiting.
— J.M. Barrie, Peter Pan