z

Young Writers Society

Comic Books and Manga

685 Reviews

Reviews: 685
Tue Apr 12, 2005 10:36 pm
Rei says...

The world of comic books have never recieved much respect by the literary world. But I love them. Be they superhero stories or romantic comedies, some of them really do live up to the term graphic novel. Share your thoughts on this particular medium, and tell us your favourites.
Please, sit down before you fall down.
Belloq, "Raiders of the Lost Ark"

148 Reviews

Reviews: 148
Wed Apr 13, 2005 1:54 am
ohhewwo says...

I used to be into American comic books (Marvel kicks DC's ass!). But then my brother and I got into Manga. Good stuff.

Naruto
Neon Genesis Evangelion
Shaman King
The GetBackers
Trigun
Ragnarok

Some of these are anime, some manga, some both.

94 Reviews

Reviews: 94
Wed Apr 13, 2005 2:57 am
Zion says...

I watched some episodes by Evangelion and they were plain sick. But I loved the Hellsing series.
Without sensibility no object would be given to us, without understanding no object would be thought. Thoughts without content are empty, intuitions without concepts are blind.

Immanuel Kant
"Critique of Pure Reason"

148 Reviews

Reviews: 148
Wed Apr 13, 2005 3:02 am
ohhewwo says...

Yeah, Evangelion gets really, reeeeeeeeeeeally disturbing, especially, "The End of Evangelion", a movie.

915 Reviews

Reviews: 915
Wed Apr 13, 2005 3:07 am
Incandescence says...

My personal list:

Jimmy Corrigan, or, the Smartest Kid on Earth - Chris Ware
Blankets - Craig Thompson
Good-bye, Chunky Rice - Craig Thompson
Ghost World - Daniel Clowes
Sin City - Frank Miller
Persepolis - Marjane Satrapi
The Watchmen - Alan Moore
Sandman - Neil Gaiman
"If I have not seen as far as others, it is because giants were standing on my shoulders." -Hal Abelson

685 Reviews

Wed Apr 13, 2005 1:53 pm
Rei says...

Wow, never would have thought of you as a comic book guy, Brad. Sadly, since I lack the funds to buy my own books, I'm stuck with what the library has. Which actually isn't a bad collection, though it's not quite as good as I would want. Right now I'm reading Kare Kano and KNights of the Zodiac. Kare Kano is pretty funny. I also recently read a single volume comic called A Clockwork Fairy. The story was all right, but I wasn't too fond of the art.

94 Reviews

Reviews: 94
Wed Apr 13, 2005 3:54 pm
Zion says...

KNights of the Zodiac

I only heard of it. SOunds great
Without sensibility no object would be given to us, without understanding no object would be thought. Thoughts without content are empty, intuitions without concepts are blind.

Immanuel Kant
"Critique of Pure Reason"

49 Reviews

Reviews: 49
Wed Apr 13, 2005 8:58 pm
dreaming_mouse says...

I read the online comic misfile, I think it's hilarious

Random avatar

Reviews: 92
Wed Apr 13, 2005 9:33 pm
lin night says...

I did a write-up on graphic novels for English.

Watchmen
Perhaps the greatest graphic novel of all time. The plot, chockfull of side threads and elaborate back story, is nearly impossible to summarize. Essentially, it revolves around the gruesome murder of a retired superhero called the Comedian. This prompts his fellow colleagues, also burned-out heroes of various sort, to reunite and investigate. In their exhaustive efforts to find the killer, they unveil something far more sinister than they could ever have imagined. Alan Moore takes this basic skeleton and injects it, so to speak, with blood. He even finds time (and reason) to insert a tragic pirate story into the mix. The characters are rich and memorable, ranging from a powerful blue Martian to a certain masked detective named Rorschach. The end chapters don’t disappoint in terms of sheer carnage, a horrifying doomsday magnificently portrayed by artist Dave Gibbons, ultimately leading up to a somber, yet hopeful conclusion. However, reading a short review cannot do the comic justice. It must be experienced for oneself.

The Dark Knight Returns
The Dark Knight Returns is arguably the most famous and important graphic novel ever released. It put to shame the image of a televised caped buffoon running around defusing nefarious, far-fetched plots and fighting even more ridiculous villains, complete with ZAP! POW! effects. Frank Miller, hot off the heels of his now-legendary Daredevil run, created a serious glimpse into a hero that hadn’t been taken seriously for years. He dared to age Bruce Wayne, show his disturbed side, the side distressed by criminals that continue to grow more perverse, the side that begins to suspect his long fight against crime may have been in vain. While not quite as groundbreaking as some make it out to be, The Dark Knight Returns is responsible for introducing legions of readers to comic books.

From Hell
Serialized throughout the 90s and spanning 16 parts, 600 pages total, From Hell can perhaps be labeled Alan Moore’s magnum opus, at least in terms of scope. From Hell is an extremely graphic, meticulously researched dissection of the infamous Jack the Ripper case, a truly fascinating history lesson slash horror story. The Hughes Brothers (Menace II Society) made it into a 2002 movie starring Johnny Depp and Heather Graham that – surprising for the controversial filmmakers – cut back considerably on the gory details. The graphic novel encompasses multiple characters to great effect including a troubled detective and the murderer himself, cleverly revealed from the start. This allows Moore to highlight his genius and increasing psychological instability simultaneously, depicting the murders (of a horrifying brutality never before seen in this format) from his perspective. In addition, the victims – a group of aging prostitutes – are given ample exposition. As the last one realizes there is no hope for her, the reader cannot help but feel pity. Artist Eddie Campbell’s black and white drawings are heavily sketchy, yet scrupulously detailed. They evoke a thick Victorian atmosphere, making the uglier parts all the more unsettling.

Sandman saga
The Sandman saga, masterminded by prolific author Neil Gaiman, is by far the most ambitious comic book extravaganza ever attempted. Spanning ten large volumes, the painstakingly crafted tale revolves chiefly around Dream, also known as Morpheus. Dream is a dark, brooding figure that produces, appropriately, dreams, using assorted surrealistic tools and metaphors to do so (a clever process that needs to be seen to be believed). He is one-seventh of the Endless, best described as a close-knit family of immortal Gods: Delirium, Destiny, Destruction, Despair, Desire, and Death. Together they knit and mend the fabric of life itself, establishing an often precarious balance. Sandman is a mixture of bizarre humor, psychedelic imagery, and disturbing horror. The best introduction to the series is Book 2, entitled The Doll’s House.

Daredevil: Born Again
As most know (or don’t), Daredevil’s origin involves a chemical spill that blinds a young boy named Matt Murdock. Fortunately, all is not lost as his sense of hearing gains a considerable boost and he subsequently uses this remarkable ability to fight crime, harshly taught by a fellow blind man, Stick. Lawyer by day, costumed crime fighter by night, Murdock balances his priorities reasonably, if not completely effectively. That is until a cocaine-addicted ex reveals his identity to arch-nemesis William Fisk, a.k.a. Kingpin, supreme ruler of the underworld. Thus begins Frank Miller’s classic Born Again arc, revitalizing a previously stale hero. Kingpin, all too conscious of the immense power he commands, sets out to destroy Murdock’s personal and professional life over the course of six arduous months. Daredevil is barely seen – Miller concentrates almost entirely on the unraveling of the man behind of the mask. The characterizations are impeccable and the illustrations, done by the criminally underrated David Mazzucchelli, stunningly dramatic. Witness an early scene in which Murdock appears to be talking to his best friend Foggy on a pay phone, but turns out only to have been speaking to the dial tone. Witness a later scene in which a certain news reporter’s expression gradually contorts into one of pure terror as he is forced to listen to a colleague get strangled. Born Again is perhaps the pivotal example of how comics can transcend their boundaries as an art form, combining mature, intelligent writing with enrapturing images.

I'll also add Ghost World and Batman: Year One as honorable mentions.

685 Reviews

Wed Apr 20, 2005 5:43 pm
Rei says...

Kare Kano just keeps getting better and better. I read volume four yesterday, and am eagarly awaiting volume five.

563 Reviews

Reviews: 563
Sat Apr 23, 2005 7:23 pm
Writersdomain says...

I've never read a whole one myself, but sometimes I look on when my friend is reading and I seem to enjoy DNAngel and Trigun. Then of course, I have not read all of them. I used to read some of the Sailor Moon ones a few years ago. They were weird.... *gags* now I hate them
~ WD
If you desire a review from WD, post here

"All I know, all I'm saying, is that a story finds a storyteller. Not the other way around." ~Neverwas

Random avatar

Reviews: 665
Mon May 23, 2005 11:39 am
deleted6 says...

Love Hina
Xmen
Old Xmen
New Xmen
We get off to the rhythm of the trigger and destruction. Fallujah to New Orleans with impunity to kill. We are the hidden fist of the free market.
We are the ink, we are the quill.
[The Ink And The Quill (Be Afraid) - Anti-Flag]

685 Reviews

Mon May 23, 2005 10:14 pm
Rei says...

GAH! I've recent discovered than there have been thirteen volumes published in English, and only five are available in the library!

Reviews: 2
Mon May 30, 2005 7:31 am
tinkerbell_09 says...

Yu Yu Hakusho, Fushigi Yugi and Sakura are the best!

I find them exciting because the characters are amazing and some are kinda handsome. Their stories focuses on fighting the evil. But of course, it's not complete without the love story.
I live not because God wants me to. But because I have the will to go on.LIFE IS HARD. And I don't know why. And I don't plan to understand.

Reviews: 0
Fri Jun 03, 2005 10:39 pm
Lenthe says...

Rurouni Kenshin and Full Metal Alchemist. and def lay it heavy on the kenshin.
In the shadows, of the night. Blade is ready, sharp as light. -- E. Arcenstien (The One of Dark Blood)

Painting is poetry that is seen rather than felt, and poetry is painting that is felt rather than seen.
— Leonardo da Vinci