z

Young Writers Society

Macedonian meals

94 Reviews

Reviews: 94
Wed Apr 06, 2005 11:03 pm
Zion says...

Im sure not everyone would even click on the topic but what ta heck. i was seaching through the interent and I found a link for some of hte macedonian meals. Its a celebration tomorrow in my family, beacuse my father is named after a saint, so am I, mine is 24 of may. We will be stuffed with meals so I thought why not show you guys recepies for some fo our meals? Trust me you are gonna love it. Heres the link:
http://www.macedonians.co.uk/cuisine/index.htm
Enjoy! :D
Without sensibility no object would be given to us, without understanding no object would be thought. Thoughts without content are empty, intuitions without concepts are blind.

Immanuel Kant
"Critique of Pure Reason"

67 Reviews

Reviews: 67
Thu Apr 07, 2005 12:00 am
QiGuaiGongFu says...

sounds like "try it, you'll like it!" that i used to hear from my parents all the time. :D

no offense, but i'll stay away from mutton, and anything that has a third as much lard as pork. and excessive ammounts of onion or garlic. No offense, i like Greecian food, but only up until i know whats in it. thanks tho! if i happen upon something that looks yummy, and i happen to find a set of metric measuring instruments.... im all over that.
For centuries, theologians have been explaining the unknowable in terms of the-not-worth-knowing.
- HL Mencken
Lie together like butt.
Presenting the GFuture, soon to be the Gnow, reality presented by Google.
Welcome to GEarth.
~Baske in the randomness~

94 Reviews

Thu Apr 07, 2005 12:09 am
Zion says...

Slatko
pronounced: slut-ko

Prepare "slatko" in small quantities for best result.
Prepare washed fruit as follows:

Sour cherries are pitted.
Blue plums are pitted and cubed.
Quince should be peeled, cored, and quartered. Then they are parboiled for about 5 minutes.
Green seedless grapes are washed only.
Whichever fruit is used the method is the same, but do not mix fruits. For each cup of fruit use 1 c sugar and 1/4 c water. Bring sugar and water to a boil and boil on low heat until mixture spring a thread. Then drop in fruit and cook only long enough for fruit to be cooked through. Mixture should be rather thick. Add 1 t lemon juice. Mix. Pour in sterile jars and seal. Slatko is served in an attractive jam jar. A teaspoon and glass of water are offered with it. This is offered guests first when they visit.

*grins*
Without sensibility no object would be given to us, without understanding no object would be thought. Thoughts without content are empty, intuitions without concepts are blind.

Immanuel Kant

43 Reviews

Reviews: 43
Thu Apr 07, 2005 12:10 am
Nai says...

Coffee is desert in Macedonia???

Coffee is like what American's spit is made out of...we drink so much of it

You guys need to get some fatty American cookie dough ice cream lol
ἓν οἶδα ὅτι οὐδὲν οἶδα

94 Reviews

Thu Apr 07, 2005 12:13 am
Zion says...

We more drink natural home made juices. Heck we even make ketchup and mayo. It tastes sooo much better than the usuall ones.

Immanuel Kant

43 Reviews

Thu Apr 07, 2005 12:16 am
Nai says...

Oh that's awesome...i'm coming to Macedonia NOW.

Then when I get there i'm gonna steal some Kjoftinja.
ἓν οἶδα ὅτι οὐδὲν οἶδα

94 Reviews

Thu Apr 07, 2005 12:19 am
Zion says...

YES! See? Also you will LOVE this!
Sutlijash (Rice Pudding)
Ingredients needed

4 cups (1 l) milk
2/3 cup (155 g) sugar
1 tablespoon unsalted butter
1 lemon zest strip
1 cinnamon stick
6 cups (1.5 l) water
pinch of salt
1/2 cup (105 g) white rice
3 egg yolks
ground cinnamon for garnish
almonds for garnish, optional
How to prepare

In a saucepan over medium-high heat, combine the milk, sugar, butter, lemon zest and cinnamon stick. Heat until small bubbles appear along the edge of the pan, then remove from the heat. Let stand for 30 minutes to develop the flavor.

Meanwhile, in another saucepan, bring the water to a boil. Add the salt and rice, reduce the heat to low and cook slowly until the rice kernels have swelled and are tender (15-20 minutes). Drain.

Place the saucepan holding the milk mixture over medium heat and bring to a simmer. Add the rice and simmer uncovered, stirring often, until thickened, 15-20 minutes. Remove the lemon zest and cinnamon stick and discard.

In a bowl, using a fork or whisk, beat the egg yolks until lightly frothy. Gradually add about 1 cup (8 fl oz/ 250 ml) of the hot pudding to the yolks, beating constantly. Gradually pour the warmed yolks into the remaining pudding, stirring constantly. Cook over very, very low heat, stirring constantly, for 5 minutes.

Spoon the pudding into individual dessert bowls or one large serving bowl. Sprinkle with cinnamon and top with toasted almonds (optional).

Serve at room temperature.

Even though Its served warm, but not too hot

Immanuel Kant

67 Reviews

Reviews: 67
Thu Apr 07, 2005 12:22 am
QiGuaiGongFu says...

not everyone drinks that much coffe... maybe you do. i know i dont.
For centuries, theologians have been explaining the unknowable in terms of the-not-worth-knowing.
- HL Mencken
Lie together like butt.
Presenting the GFuture, soon to be the Gnow, reality presented by Google.
Welcome to GEarth.
~Baske in the randomness~

94 Reviews

Thu Apr 07, 2005 12:25 am
Zion says...

oh we sure do. dad is addicted to coffee! Im lucky im not. Coffee reduces sperm quality. And it tastes bitter yuck! *runs off to buy a burek and rice pudding*

Immanuel Kant

43 Reviews

Thu Apr 07, 2005 12:34 am
Nai says...

Well i'm not saying absolutely everyone but it is one of the most popular beverages in the U.S.
ἓν οἶδα ὅτι οὐδὲν οἶδα

94 Reviews

Thu Apr 07, 2005 12:40 am
Zion says...

Most famous beverage in here? RAKIJA! (rah-kiya) a very strong alcohol, not as strong as Abscent but still very corky

Immanuel Kant

1274 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1274
Thu Apr 07, 2005 1:17 am
niteowl says...

I don't drink coffee. It smells good though. Well, I like cappucino, but rarely drink it.

We have a Macedonian club at my school. Which is really surprising, since it doesn't seem like we have a whole lot of Macedonians. At the Celebration of Diversity, they served some food. The "pita" was the grossest pita I'd ever tasted! My Yia-Yia could do ten times better with her eyes closed! But you guys got her beat on the baklava. She made some, and it was soooo greasy, it almost made baklava disgusting! :shock: But I still love her food.

Yeah I was practically raised by her, which explains why I'm so fat. One of my favorite things she makes are Kourabiethes, which are little round cookies covered in powdered sugar. Haven't had them in ages. I may still have the recipe that I used to make them for a school project. But I won't post it, as my Yia-Yia doesn't really have accurate measuring tools unless you count a shotglass. It was really hard to even make it a recipe.

But I'm not Macedonian so...I'll shut up now.
"You do ill if you praise, but worse if you censure, what you do not understand." Leonardo Da Vinci

<YWS><R1>

1274 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1274
Thu Apr 07, 2005 1:19 am
niteowl says...

I don't drink coffee. It smells good though. Well, I like cappucino, but rarely drink it.

We have a Macedonian club at my school. Which is really surprising, since it doesn't seem like we have a whole lot of Macedonians. At the Celebration of Diversity, they served some food. The "pita" was the grossest pita I'd ever tasted! My Yia-Yia could do ten times better with her eyes closed! But you guys got her beat on the baklava. She made some, and it was soooo greasy, it almost made baklava disgusting! :shock: But I still love her food.

Yeah I was practically raised by her, which explains why I'm so fat. One of my favorite things she makes are Kourabiethes, which are little round cookies covered in powdered sugar. Haven't had them in ages. I may still have the recipe that I used to make them for a school project. But I won't post it, as my Yia-Yia doesn't really have accurate measuring tools unless you count a shotglass. It was really hard to even make it a recipe.

But I'm not Macedonian so...I'll shut up now.
"You do ill if you praise, but worse if you censure, what you do not understand." Leonardo Da Vinci

<YWS><R1>

94 Reviews

Thu Apr 07, 2005 1:21 am
Zion says...

lol Yia Yia? whats that? a macedonian club you say? they made pita discussting? ARGH! o.O a sacrlige to macedonian chefs! lol how many members does it have? And where ere you from Niteowl? greek or soemthing?

Immanuel Kant

43 Reviews

Thu Apr 07, 2005 2:44 am
Nai says...

Getting a little excited are we? lol

Don't worry Arvy, we'll go to where niteowl lives and beat the crap out of those chefs ::eyes narrow::
ἓν οἶδα ὅτι οὐδὲν οἶδα

I didn't want to slow time, I just wanted to make a little rock.
— MomoMajesty's brother