z

Young Writers Society

'Anyway' or 'Anyways' - which do you use more often?

'Anyway' or 'Anyways' - which do you use more often?

I use 'anyway' more often, both in speech and writing
44%
I use 'anyways' more often, both in speech and writing
38%
I use 'anyways' more often in speech, but not in writing
13%
I use 'anyway' more often in speech, but not in writing
No votes
Other (tell us below!)
6%

Total votes : 16

542 Reviews

Reviews: 542
Mon Jul 31, 2023 2:51 am
View Likes
Liminality says...

I think I mostly use 'anyway' whether I'm writing or speaking. I used to know people who use 'anyways' more often, so it was something I noticed, and I wanted to see if people on here notice which version they seem to prefer, too c:

An additional option not listed in the poll, but I'm wondering if it applies to anyone: 'I use 'anyway' and 'anyways' to mean different things.'
she/her

Have you met my friend, The Story Review Template?

245 Reviews

Reviews: 245
Mon Jul 31, 2023 4:39 am
View Likes
Spearmint says...

I use "anyways" more often! :D
mint, she/her

.--. / ... ...- -.-. .-.. / - .--. ..- .- / .--- --- ...- .--- / .--- --- .--. .-- / .--. .--- .-.. / .--- -.-- .-.. .... -
=D

148 Reviews

Reviews: 148
Mon Jul 31, 2023 4:31 pm
View Likes
Kaia says...

I use "anyway" more often, but I really L. VE how "anyways" sounds, so I purposely started using that when I spoke. But, sadly, I get a teased about it because no one else in my family says that, so I only use "anyways" when I'm feeling confident. :'(

Yes, you can call me weird. You have my permission.
Traditional Christian, ISFJ, and Infamous Quirky Cat
You are God's beautiful little being!

1227 Reviews

Reviews: 1227
Mon Jul 31, 2023 5:26 pm
View Likes
alliyah says...

Anyways! I think is much more common for me, especially outloud

But context might make it change a bit -

Like if I mean to say it as a verbal cue of getting back on track after a tangent or coming to a conclusion/meaning of an arguement it's def "anyways" for me (ie. I love ketchup with french fries ... but man! mustard is great! ... Anyways! Sorry about that aside, what do you pair with french fries?" Or "Ketchup is sweet and mustard is acidic and anyways that is why we need both.")

If I mean it dismissively I think I also tend towards saying "anyways" ie. "Look he's allergic to mustard so discussion is useless anyways."

If I'm saying it to end a conversation "it's been great catching up but anyways, I better go now!" I'd use anyways.

But if I mean "whatever/whichever" (ie. Do you want ketchup or mustard or relish? Anyway works!" I'd maybe tend towards using "anyway" as a similar synonym for "either way" (except comparing 3 or more options rather than 2) rather than "anyways". The same applies when I mean it as "okay just do it" ie. "You're not going to convince me mustard alone tastes good so just add the ketchup anyway".

I do consider "anyways" to occassionally feel a bit informal/wishy washy for some work writing contexts (similar to "whatever" or "who cares") in some cases though where folks may see it as incorrect useage too so I'd perhaps personally avoid the phrase in formal writing depending on the situation?

I think "anyways" is an extremely interesting and useful cue word in the many things it can mean / signal though! And considering that when its used as a cue to summarize or end a conversation it doesn’t seem to even have a real meaning as "any way" / "all of these paths/ways have come together to result in what i'm about to say" I feel like both "anyways" and "anyways" should be considered acceptable. Its a word like "goodbye" or "godspeed" or "like" or "alrighty" it just can mean so much more than the literal word definition but feels almost more like a gesture than a regular form of speech...
you should know i am a time traveler &
there is no season as achingly temporary as now
but i have promised to return

211 Reviews

Reviews: 211
Mon Jul 31, 2023 5:59 pm
View Likes
OrabellaAvenue says...

You know what's silly, I was thinking about which I use a few days ago. I honestly have no idea, but I think both should be an option, because I do use both. Probably.
"Don't cry because it's over. Smile because it happened."
~Dr. Seuss

Orabella ~ Ora ~ Avenue ~ Aven
She/her

1227 Reviews

Reviews: 1227
Mon Jul 31, 2023 8:51 pm
View Likes
alliyah says...

I have now read way too many articles on anyway vs anways - and frustratingly it seems like a lot of people argue that "anyways" is just not a word... I appreciate this Webster's Dictionary article which says it may be more appropriate in some cases to consider "anyways" as dialectical and that is not to say wrong.

https://www.merriam-webster.com/grammar ... ut-anyways

I have a pet-peeve about "non-standard" or regional, or dialectical language being called "incorrect" when it is used in ways that clearly communicate meaning. Language is living; and while it is helpful in some cases to have some shared standards communication, spelling, and grammar, ultimately if words communicate meaning from one person to another they are being used correctly. (all this I believe also applies to "standards" or "rules" within free form poetry.)

I absolutely love these paragraphs from the Merriam Webster article,

If a word has been in constant use for over 800 years, with tens of thousands of examples in writing across many linguistic registers, and is commonly and consistently used with specific meanings, it then becomes very difficult for us to understand how you could describe it as not ‘real,’ or not a ‘word.’ Unless, of course, you are using a sense of real or word that we are unfamiliar with.

If you are disappointed to hear that anyways is indeed real, perhaps we might supply you with a genuine fake word as consolation (we don’t want you to feel sad). How about spuddlegruncher? It means “the first glimmers of what will undoubtedly turn out to be a massive headache when one realizes that one is having an argument with someone who is basing their entire position on a dim memory of what a former English teacher told them long ago and a strong desire to tell someone else that they are wrong about something.”

Anyways, isn't language cool? 8)
you should know i am a time traveler &
there is no season as achingly temporary as now
but i have promised to return

11 Reviews

Reviews: 11
Mon Jul 31, 2023 10:30 pm
View Likes
Grimmwolf says...

i think it depends on how i want to come across! i know they mean the same thing, but they have different vibes, you feel?
they/he

542 Reviews

Reviews: 542
Sat Aug 12, 2023 7:11 am
View Likes
Liminality says...

Whoops I took ages to reply to this but here we go!

But if I mean "whatever/whichever" (ie. Do you want ketchup or mustard or relish? Anyway works!" I'd maybe tend towards using "anyway" as a similar synonym for "either way" (except comparing 3 or more options rather than 2) rather than "anyways".

@alliyah Oh that's really interesting, and a good observation too! I'd forgotten about this use of "anyway" when I set up the poll ^^' I think I don't hear people say stuff like "anyways works", so it feels like there's less 'choice' between the two unlike in other contexts.

I honestly have no idea, but I think both should be an option, because I do use both. Probably.

@OrabellaAvenue You're right! I should have included that haha

i think it depends on how i want to come across! i know they mean the same thing, but they have different vibes, you feel?

@Grimmwolf Definitely!

It's so interesting to read everyone's responses :D I asked the question because I've always had the sense that younger people tend to say "anyways" more often in places where older generations would have said "anyway". I'm not sure if it's a regional thing, since I've seen in both in my country and online by people in other countries. I think there was a point where I might have used both as well, especially in the 'dismissive' sense, but at some point I shifted away from that. Maybe to distinguish myself from my cousin who always said "anyways"? Or maybe because I perceived "anyway" as sounding older and I felt old? xD Who knows . . .
she/her

Have you met my friend, The Story Review Template?

1487 Reviews

Reviews: 1487
Sat Aug 12, 2023 4:12 pm
View Likes
IcyFlame says...

I had never come across 'anyways' before yws, so I don't really think it's a thing in the UK? I don't use it myself, but am now more accustomed to it so I won't correct it in people's work!

148 Reviews

Reviews: 148
Sat Aug 12, 2023 4:24 pm
View Likes
Kaia says...

Huh, interesting...

I think "anyway" is more formal or at least has a more formal reputation, possibly because it is more common? I don't know. Just my opinion I guess, haha.
Traditional Christian, ISFJ, and Infamous Quirky Cat
You are God's beautiful little being!

Follow your passion. Stay true to yourself. Never follow someone else's path unless you're in the woods and you're lost and you see a path. By all means, you should follow that.
— Ellen DeGeneres