z

Young Writers Society

Spring Forward / Fall Back: What are your thoughts?

425 Reviews

Reviews: 425
Sat Mar 11, 2023 5:49 pm
View Likes
Nate says...

If you live in the United States, then you're probably losing an hour this weekend as a result of daylight savings time (there's a few places like Arizona that don't do this). In a couple more weeks, folks in the United Kingdom will be doing the same when they switch to British summer time.

What are your thoughts about all this? There's always talk about either switching to daylight savings time (DST) or keep standard time all year round. Would you prefer to keep one or the other, or stick with the way things are?

122 Reviews

Reviews: 122
Sat Mar 11, 2023 6:05 pm
View Likes
GengarIsBestBoy says...

I absolutely hate it when it goes back to standard time. There is NO REASON the sun should go down at 5pm (central time)
That’s the thing with life: no one makes it out alive.

—Beetlejuice, Beetlejuice the Musical

[Gengar! :D they/she]
[Spooky month fan, internet cryptid, certified nerd]

54 Reviews

Reviews: 54
Sat Mar 11, 2023 6:10 pm
View Likes
Quillfeather says...

Very interesting topic! I have actual thought a great deal about this. I know Arkansas tried to pass a bill that would make daylight savings permanent (I have no idea if that was passed or not, and that was probably 2019 or so I believe) and when I first heard about that I was in full support of that. It seemed pointless to change the time constantly.

However, as I have had more experience with having places to be and things to do, I realize that it can be really helpful for the time to change. If you've had to drive somewhere early or late, or something similar that takes the time of day or night, you have probably seen how helpful it is to have plenty of light to do so. During times close to time changes I will often find myself saying things like "I can't believe it's so dark at only 6" or such. I feel like having the light correspond to the time is very important and worth the adjustment time it takes.

I do however, see why people are annoyed, in the first week or two it can mess up your sleeping, eating, and other functions. And as someone who has always had somewhere to be on Sundays that time sensitive and non optional, I know the struggle of getting your clocks set and getting less sleep then normal and eating at weird times can be. But I feel like as we approach an almost completely digital clock age, that this is bearly a challenge anymore.

So I feel like the advantages of a time change out weigh the disadvantages of time change. I would more be in favor of changing the times we do time changes.
Was: Nicole136
And then: TrinityPoeting
Am now: Quillfeather

If you ever need to talk I am here for you<3

"All great change is preceded by chaos" - Deepak Chopra
Fight through the chaos, there are good things ahead<333

1227 Reviews

Reviews: 1227
Sat Mar 11, 2023 9:24 pm
View Likes
alliyah says...

I HATE the experience of losing an hour of sleep, really dreading tomorrow when I must wake up at 6:30 am for work, which will feel like 5:30. I wish that they had daylight savings occur from Friday / Saturday rather than Saturday / Sunday - > because people rarely have to be up for something on a Saturday, but Sunday mornings many people have religious services to go to. It would also give two weekend days to adjust to the time zone rather than just one day.

I used to know a lady who would start daylight savings in increments the week before. So instead of shifting an hour, would shift 5 minutes Monday, 10 minutes Tuesday, 20 Wednesday, 30 minutes Thurs, 40 minutes Friday, and then 50 Saturday, then 60 Sunday. It's an interesting concept that I also find a little humorous. :3
you should know i am a time traveler &
there is no season as achingly temporary as now
but i have promised to return

Random avatar

Reviews: 328
Sat Mar 11, 2023 10:02 pm
View Likes
deleted30 says...

[Removed by YWS by request of author]

488 Reviews

Reviews: 488
Sat Mar 11, 2023 10:06 pm
View Likes
Meshugenah says...

As much as I hate losing an hour (because the older I get the crankier I am about not enough sleep), I would also hate to be in standard time all summer, because then I'd have to get up at 4:30am to get out for a run (midsummer dawn is about 5:45, so if we set that back another hour and kept standard time, it gets really ugly early), which I do because where I am in California it gets really hot really fast, and I do not like running (or walking) in the heat.

On the other hand, midwinter the sun is not up until closer to 8am, which would push to closer to 9am if we kept DST(PST), which... is also problematic.

I know it was on the ballot a year-ish ago, and people were screaming that it passed and why are we still doing this (uh... airlines/train schedules that cross multiple states and countries that are scheduled over a year out are a thing, and has to be taken into consideration, among other logistical issues), and if I'm stuck with this I'd rather be stuck in PST year-round (I hate summer, basically, and don't want to get up even earlier to deal with my hate of it).

We're such a long state that what may work fine for the far southern end of the state is really a problem for the northern part, and that's my biggest issue with the entire thing.
***Under the Responsibility of S.P.E.W.***
(Sadistic Perplexion of Everyone's Wits)

Medieval Lit! Come here to find out who Chaucer plagiarized and translated - and why and how it worked in the late 1300s.

I <3 Rydia

122 Reviews

Sat Mar 11, 2023 10:48 pm
View Likes
GengarIsBestBoy says...

Lucrezia wrote:Not-so-fun fact: Daylight Savings Time is bad for your mental and physical health. There are many, many, many, many articles about it.
Attachments
01D0D33D-0768-4E24-8FE9-5BF7A0BF212C.jpeg

122 Reviews

Sat Mar 11, 2023 10:57 pm
View Likes
GengarIsBestBoy says...

Boy I just love being a teen and not thinking of the consequences of things before I say them

Reviews: 0
Sun Mar 12, 2023 3:13 am
View Likes
pkthundaga says...

Personally, I've never actually noticed the time change... I mean obviously I see that the clock is an hour off but I don't *feel* the effects of the change. 0_o

Still dumb and pointless though.
call me Aerith Strelitzia (or just Aerith or just Strelitzia)

378 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 378
Sun Mar 12, 2023 3:30 am
View Likes
Omni says...

I think there's not a single person working or getting up early who enjoys losing an hour of sleep to DST. And while gaining an hour is good in theory, it can also mess up sleep schedules and rhythms.

I'm definitely not bitter about losing sleep before work monday c:
This account proudly supports lgbtq* rights.

sass levels loading

[he/him]

9 Reviews

Reviews: 9
Sun Mar 12, 2023 3:55 am
View Likes
phantasm says...

To me there's just something so unnatural about the time change? Which I mean, makes sense because the clock is literally being changed an hour ahead/behind. But when I think about the advantages/benefits of it, I just can't get past its inconvenience, especially as someone who depends on a specific daily schedule and definitely feels the impacts on myself from it. It's hard to just kind of "switch" on to a different time without feeling the shock of it on your system. I remember always dreading the spring forward change when I had to wake up terribly early in high school for that reason, and I suspect it will only feel worse and worse on my body as I get older >.>

But, I can definitely see the logistical reasoning behind changing the time, and I agree that it being lighter at later/earlier points in the day is much nicer for everyday responsibilities and activities. :]
she/her

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Sun Mar 12, 2023 12:54 pm
View Likes
Snoink says...

DST is the literal worst.
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

We're all stories in the end.
— 11th Doctor