z

Young Writers Society

Who's your idol?

67 Reviews

Reviews: 67
Sun May 08, 2005 8:04 pm
QiGuaiGongFu says...

I'm not saying these are the only bad influences.
People like Snoop Dogg or Dave Chappelle who promote the widespread use of controlled substances. Or sports 'professionals' who become who they are via powerful steriods. These people are all setting terrible examples. Examples that are openly and readily followed. Winona Ryder who feels she needs to shoplift, or Tido Jackson who beat his wife. Basketball players who boast about sleeping with thousands of random women over the years. These people exist everywhere, I just shine a flashlight on those who are most visible, and who get the most media attention.

Results 1 - 10 of about 3,720,000 for jessica simpson. (0.05 seconds)
Results 1 - 10 of about 1,350,000 for kate moss. (0.06 seconds)

to your credit Hawk, Twiggy had about the same as Jessica Simpson
For centuries, theologians have been explaining the unknowable in terms of the-not-worth-knowing.
- HL Mencken
Lie together like butt.
Presenting the GFuture, soon to be the Gnow, reality presented by Google.
Welcome to GEarth.
~Baske in the randomness~

665 Reviews

Reviews: 665
Mon May 09, 2005 5:57 pm
Chevy says...

Well, I don't really like the word *idol.* I try not to idolize people...not just for religious reasons, but yeah. I think it's a waste of time. Now, I do have role models...and that would have to be Jennifer Knapp all the way.

Yeah.
when there's nowhere to go, it's time to grow up.

447 Reviews

Reviews: 447
Mon May 09, 2005 7:54 pm
Duskglimmer says...

I have to agree with Chevy, the word "idol" just rings really wrong in my head. And as for my role models... well... I can't say that I've ever had a person that I thought "Hey, I want to be like that".
The robbed that smiles, steals something from the thief. ~William Shakespeare, Othello
Boo. SPEW is watching.

Reviews: 3
Mon May 09, 2005 9:42 pm
alcina says...

Idol is just to strong of a word, i dont think i've ever idolized anyone. I dont have any rolemodels but i do admire ppl. Im friends with a woman who is blind, shes 27 yrs old and graduated college at 23. She had a perfect score all her years of college. i think its quite amazing because she had to struggle twice as hard as everyone else because she couldnt see the professor. or read from the textbooks unless they came in braille. Now she teaches special children and tutors regular students at night. I really admire her.

19 Reviews

Reviews: 19
Tue May 10, 2005 8:47 am
hawk says...

It looks like you're calling Kate Moss Twiggy....

There are certain people or characters it's good to admire, take aspects of a certain person's character and mould it into yourself. Who couldn't do without a little Atticus Finch?
Body image is perhaps the unhealthiest way to "idolize" someone, but even people who are aware of such diseases as anorexia, do not understand the full extent of the illness and what it can do. It's pop culture and media that has such an influence of society, and it's pop culture and media that are instable; the people, insecure. One of the Olsen twins developing anorexia summed up how unstable Hollywood really is, how unstable these supposedly "role models" for our youth are.
"Meanwhile everyone wants to breathe and nobody can; and many say, 'We will breathe later.' And most of them don’t die because they are already dead." -- Graffiti of the events of May, Paris '68

16 Reviews

Reviews: 16
Tue May 10, 2005 10:16 am
IGuessImAnUnderwaterThing says...

Ani DiFranco. She's the reason I started playing acoustic guitar, and if it wasn't for her music I honestly don't think I would have survived the last two years of my life. She's gorgeous, and such an amazing person... I adore her, hahaha. She's actually my icon *points*
You're just an empty cage girl if you kill the bird.

Random avatar

Reviews: 241
Tue May 10, 2005 4:17 pm
Harley says...

I love Avril Lavigne. I love her style, I love her attitude, I love her music. She writes all her own songs and has never lip-synced. I found out last month that she can't actually skateboard to save herself, and that just made me love her even more- people called her a phoney but she's never actually claimed to be a sk8er girl herself. Avril is just, amazing. She's pretty, but kick-ass; my perfect idol.

Ahh.... Britney Spears... her initials say it all.

As for Ashlee and Jessica, well, they are total fakers- the whole "i am an object" thing- ew.

Has anyone noticed that the Disney "stars" (by this i mean Raven, Hilary Duff, Lindsay Lohan etc.) can't just have an acting career? Oh no, they have to sing and make a straight-to-video movie. If you get signed by the Disney corporation, they'll milk you for all you're worth.

Avril rules.

21 Reviews

Reviews: 21
Tue May 10, 2005 7:00 pm
lon_205 says...

My role models are Dolly Parton and Belle from The Beauty and the Beast. They've never let me down =)

128 Reviews

Reviews: 128
Tue May 10, 2005 11:20 pm
Galatea says...

Ani diFranco rocks my world.
Sing lustily and with a good courage. Beware of singing as if you were half dead, or half asleep; but lift up your voice with strength.

665 Reviews

Reviews: 665
Wed May 11, 2005 4:27 am
Chevy says...

Harley wrote:I love Avril Lavigne. I love her style, I love her attitude, I love her music. She writes all her own songs and has never lip-synced. I found out last month that she can't actually skateboard to save herself, and that just made me love her even more- people called her a phoney but she's never actually claimed to be a sk8er girl herself. Avril is just, amazing. She's pretty, but kick-ass; my perfect idol.

Avril rules.

Meh...so so typical.
when there's nowhere to go, it's time to grow up.

19 Reviews

Reviews: 19
Wed May 11, 2005 6:09 am
hawk says...

Really, Avril Lavigne is just a marketing ploy. Funny thing is, she's starting to get over the whole punk-skater thing, and dresses up in, well, dresses, so I bet the record company shes under contract to is kicking themselves now. Adolescence doesn't last.
"Meanwhile everyone wants to breathe and nobody can; and many say, 'We will breathe later.' And most of them don’t die because they are already dead." -- Graffiti of the events of May, Paris '68

128 Reviews

Reviews: 128
Wed May 11, 2005 6:47 am
Galatea says...

The thing is, any artist in the spotlight will have their gimmic, their thing, their show. That's all it is. Show.
Sing lustily and with a good courage. Beware of singing as if you were half dead, or half asleep; but lift up your voice with strength.

701 Reviews

Reviews: 701
Wed May 11, 2005 6:56 am
bubblewrapped says...

Idol is such a controversial word... :shock:
Personally, I have no religious objection (I'm not religious) - the only thing I really dislike is that it reminds me of those hideous shows "NZ Idol" and "American Idol" and I hated those. Just the ads on TV were enough to make me ill. I think 'idol' is a ridiculous word for those people. I mean, sure, they can sing, but they're selling an image that I dont agree with and encouraging people to devalue themselves just because some stuffed-shirt doesnt think they have marketable talent. [*shudders*] Disgusting. My reaction is the same to the Olsen twins- just reading their names is enough to make me nauseous. I feel so strongly about the images media are projecting - particularly about young women - that I even wrote a poem about it (Mannequin). Are these the people we want to grow into? Are these the kind of role models we want for younger generations? Do we really want to be surrounded by hundreds of sickly-sweet, objectified individuals with no self, no sense of personal worth, no individuality?! AHHH! ATTACK OF THE CLONES!!!
Anyways, back on topic, I've always held the opinion that actors/musicians etc. should not be placed on pedestals. After all, what you see is a marketed image- its not real. Whenever I admire their skills, I always find myself thinking 'What are they like in real life? I wonder how much of that is just P.R. rubbish?'
That said, some people I do admire and respect (at least so far as their work/accomplishments go) are; The Beatles, Mario Lanza, Bic Runga, Helen Keller, J. M. Barrie. However, as I dont know any of them personally I cant vouch for whether I'd still like them face to face.
Got a poem or short story you want me to critique?

There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way, and not to give others absurd maddening claims upon it. (C D Morley)

67 Reviews

Reviews: 67
Wed May 11, 2005 9:34 pm
QiGuaiGongFu says...

Avril is this countries biggest poser.

Idolization is dangerous whether or not your religious. Because eventually, you'll find out the truth about that person, and your whole philos will be in the sh*tter.
For centuries, theologians have been explaining the unknowable in terms of the-not-worth-knowing.
- HL Mencken
Lie together like butt.
Presenting the GFuture, soon to be the Gnow, reality presented by Google.
Welcome to GEarth.
~Baske in the randomness~

129 Reviews

Reviews: 129
Thu May 12, 2005 12:28 am
Mattie says...

My parents. Sounds corny, but they really are. :)

Light griefs are loquacious, but the great are dumb.
— Seneca