z

Young Writers Society

Petition to stop Ashlee Simspon

481 Reviews

Reviews: 481
Thu Jan 20, 2005 1:05 pm
View Likes
Bobo says...

Okay, I think we've just about beat this topic to the ground.

11 Reviews

Reviews: 11
Thu Jan 20, 2005 9:14 pm
View Likes
SilverWright says...

I don't like her music but I do think that this petition goes a liitle far. What will the poor girl think when she sees that 60,000 people really don't like her? On top of all the people who've booed her of the stage. Some of the comments people left with their names are unsettling, not to mention personal insults. I really hope she never sees it.

87 Reviews

Reviews: 87
Thu Jan 20, 2005 9:32 pm
View Likes
Perra says...

Yes, the things the petition is asking go against free speech, which makes it a pointless cause. So, you'd only be signing it for fun and to get your voice heard. And, yes, it is a little harsh. I personally think she should've gotten singing and acting lessons and started acting on Broadway or something like that. That way she wouldn't complain about living in her sister's shadow. And, more people may like her. I also think she needs to change her hair style, but that's just me, so....
YWS gives me carpal tunnel.

Need a Critique?

Evil lurks everywhere, often in plain sight...Can you lurk in plain sight? Or is that just walking?

Reviews: 0
Thu Jan 20, 2005 9:45 pm
View Likes
Guest says...

yes, she does have the right to continue- we just don't have to like or support her!

145 Reviews

Reviews: 145
Thu Jan 20, 2005 10:02 pm
View Likes
Tara says...

Lol, point made! By...very many people... :wink:
"You can go a long way with a smile. You can go a lot farther with a smile and a gun." -Al Capone

128 Reviews

Reviews: 128
Fri Jan 21, 2005 12:01 am
View Likes
Galatea says...

I read the petition, and I must say, I'm disgusted. So the girl can't sing? SO WHAT? Is that any reason to tear her down and ridicule her. The problem with public criticism is that everyone assumes they're good enough to criticize the arts. I would like to ask everyone who signed that petition to sing a few bars, just to see how they measure up.
Sing lustily and with a good courage. Beware of singing as if you were half dead, or half asleep; but lift up your voice with strength.

145 Reviews

Reviews: 145
Fri Jan 21, 2005 12:17 am
View Likes
Tara says...

Amen, sistah!
"You can go a long way with a smile. You can go a lot farther with a smile and a gun." -Al Capone

665 Reviews

Reviews: 665
Tue Jan 25, 2005 6:40 pm
View Likes
Chevy says...

Yeah I got a petition by email once. It was against drunk driving. It didn't even have 1000 signatures. Yet 60,000 people signed a petition to limit one person's freedom of speech. What is wrong with this country?

I thought about this again, and it really makes since. "The petition by email" was probably just one of those forwards, I mean really. I get at least three of those things a week. Not only that, if you combine all those together, it will probably be more than 1,000,000 names on it.
when there's nowhere to go, it's time to grow up.

665 Reviews

Reviews: 665
Tue Jan 25, 2005 6:40 pm
View Likes
Chevy says...

I know everyone is saying the whole thing about she should be able to sing and if you don't like her then just don't listen to her, but having some background in the musical industry, I think there is something, where if there are enough people that don't like her, she can't be forced to stop recording, but she probably will stop. For instance, the Backstreet Boys--and the zillion other bands that were up there but then fell--Dream Street (Where Jesse McCartney comes from), OTOWN, Spice Girls, The Hansons--sure every band/singer has it's little time--but once people stop liking them/listening to them--they'll probably eventually stop recording. I know that may sound stupid, but it's true.
when there's nowhere to go, it's time to grow up.

493 Reviews

Reviews: 493
Tue Jan 25, 2005 10:54 pm
View Likes
Misty says...

it is REALLY sad. And besides, I think both Ashlee Simpson AND Hilary Duff rock...I have all three of the CD's...by them...and I like them...and they make me happy.

I want to understand you, I study your obscure language.
— Alexander Pushkin