z

Young Writers Society

What inspired you to start writing?

38 Reviews

Reviews: 38
Tue May 03, 2005 6:41 pm
marching_gurl89 says...

I began writing to get the little people(characters)out of my head. I also started writing to get my emotions down because a lot of stuff was boiling up in my head that I really needed toget out. Because it was making me really depressed.
~*~Peace, Love, and Protesters~*~
I'm not off beat!I'm marching to the beat of my own drum
I rock my socks
Hippielicious the bold new flavor from caroline
JFK BLOWN AWAY WHAT ELSE DO I HAVE TO SAY!!!!!!!

1258 Reviews

Reviews: 1258
Tue May 03, 2005 8:29 pm
Sam says...

My writing started when...I guess, in first grade, when my best friend and I would have huge competitions as to who could write the longest story.

My record was 23, handwritten.

Now, it's a 103, typed. :D

Last year I got into the gifted program at school, and I got to skip class to go write with a mentor, which rocked. That really pushed me forward...especially toward poetry...which I still can't stand to write but it's a necessity.

If that makes any sense.
Graffiti is the most passionate form of literature there is.

- Demetri Martin

43 Reviews

Reviews: 43
Tue May 03, 2005 8:59 pm
Nai says...

The Fellowship of the Ring by J.R.R. Tolkien

:D

That was when I was first inspired to write,

The Thousand Orcs by R.A. Salvatore

^That was when I was first inspired to write only fantasy.
ἓν οἶδα ὅτι οὐδὲν οἶδα

43 Reviews

Reviews: 43
Wed May 04, 2005 5:26 am
Supermal says...

My mother says I first started writing in grade one. Honestly I can't remember. If that is true, than I probably began writing out of pure boredom. I had a huge imagination and no television.
~Michelle~
Who needs friends when you've just bought a brand new pen?

221 Reviews

Reviews: 221
Wed May 04, 2005 2:49 pm
Kay Kay says...

Well, when I was little my mom used to save the little stories I wrote, and I didn't even know about it. In fact, I can't even remember writing them, but I'm guessing that I've always liked writing but didn't realize it until I got inspired to write a book called "Locked away for summer vacation" after I read I Know What You Did Last Summer.
Quarrels would not last long if the fault were only on one side.
--La Rochedoucauld

"An unexamined life is not worth living..."
---Socraties

685 Reviews

Reviews: 685
Wed May 04, 2005 3:54 pm
Rei says...

There's also that relentless bee who keeps poking me in the back of my brain.
Please, sit down before you fall down.
Belloq, "Raiders of the Lost Ark"

Reviews: 2
Fri May 06, 2005 6:37 pm
asyouwish says...

I don't remember what inspired me to start writing originally, (It might have been my undying love for Carson Daly in 6th grade when I wrote a poem about him). But what got me to start writing seriously ws when I discovered the wonderful world of Newsies fanfiction. :roll:

1259 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1259
Fri May 06, 2005 10:36 pm
Firestarter says...

School. When I was around 8/9, we routinely did creative writing at my school, and it was the thing I really enjoyed, and I haven't stopped since.
Nate wrote:And if YWS ever does become a company, Jack will be the President of European Operations. In fact, I'm just going to call him that anyways.

Random avatar

Reviews: 5
Wed May 11, 2005 5:46 pm
Unknown says...

I started a diary. I loved writing in it, yet my life was so boring so I decided to put some fantasy elements ... It changed into a story with all fiction characters before I knew it. Since then I have never stopped writing. (But now I write real stories, not halfdiary - have story).

701 Reviews

Reviews: 701
Thu May 12, 2005 1:11 am
bubblewrapped says...

I get it from my mum and dad: as a toddler, I'd force my poor, long-suffering parents to tell me stories about this doll I was obsessed with at the time, "Dolly Day". Once I learned to write, I wrote and wrote and wrote a trillion god-awful stories and poems which I now cringe to look back on, although at the time I thought they were brilliant. I've always written, and everyone has always told me I'm good at writing, so I just keep doing it. Plus, when I was a kid, I used to be really bossy and took over the games me and my friends played, making them long, dramatic fantasy stories full of fairies and princesses and magic. Now I'm hooked. I couldnt not write if I tried.
Got a poem or short story you want me to critique?

There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way, and not to give others absurd maddening claims upon it. (C D Morley)

137 Reviews

Reviews: 137
Thu May 12, 2005 1:32 am
DarkerSarah says...

Erm...Into the Land of the Unicorns by Bruce Coville and The Farthest Away Mountain by Lein Reid Banks, which I first read in 3rd grade and have read a few time since then. I wrote my very first story in 4th grade, it filled up a wide-ruled notebook and it had a Unicorn, a Princess, a King, and an Enchanted Forest. I enjoyed writing fantasy, though I've never really read heavy-duty 1000+ page-fantasy series. When I was 13 I wrote a 155 page fantasy "novel," which is horrible and featured foreign lands by the names of Jarvaco, Marvaco, and Parvaco. A year later, I wrote 170 pages of another fantasy story which was quite a deal better, but I never finished it. Since then, I've lacked inspiration, and have only managed to contrive short-stories. Looking back at my failed attempts at fantasy, I can really see my voice as a writer developing.

-Sarah
"And I am a writer
writer of fiction
I am the heart that you call home
And I've written pages upon pages
Trying to rid you from my bones...
Let me go if you don't love me" ~The Decembrists "Engine Driver"

Random avatar

Reviews: 1160
Thu May 12, 2005 1:36 am
Elizabeth says...

it was something in the 2nd grade that was started caleld WRITERS WORKSHOP.
I never really liked writing big and I wasn't very good. I don't know why I write... It's just in me... (Stupid, cliche I know shut up, good day.)

154 Reviews

Reviews: 154
Thu May 12, 2005 1:40 am
Armadian says...

I also had something in second grade called writers work shop.I actully liked it.(which don't really like things)So now I like writing way more and apreciate it more after I joined the yws.
How can you prove that we exist? Maybe we don't exist...

221 Reviews

Reviews: 221
Thu May 12, 2005 9:15 am
Elelel says...

I wrote since I could write. I wrote dumb story book and illustrated them too since before I could remember time (meaning I had no notion of what month it was, or what year even) In year 1 I wrote two long (about ten pages each, handwritten) stories, and the teacher got a year 12 to type one up for me *feels proud*. In year three the teacher asked me why I always looked so misreble at school and what she could do to make me happier. I said more story writing, but didn't even no why I said it even at the time. I liked drawing ... but for some reason the first thing that clicked into my brain was writing. In year 6 + 7 (I had the same teacher) we all had to do a major English project thing. We could wrote some poetry, make a comic or write a story. In year 6 I typed a 20 page story. In year seven I moved up a step and hand wrote a 56 page stary the the library stapler (King of all staplers) could barely handle. That's when I realised I loved writing and wanted to be a writer.
In year 8 my English teacher wanted us to wirte journals, and I asked if I could write a story in the back. I wrote about an elf who was the genral in the Imperial Impish Deffence Force, she had a huge bloodstained sword called Rosablade (the blood wouldn't quite wash out, and it stained pink. I didn't really like the colour pink, but it seemed more sinister to have a deadly pink sword rather than a deadly black or red sword) and married the Emperor of elves because she loved him, but then hated being an Empress. She wanted to fight dragons (well, maybe not dragons, she had a dragon phobia) and fairies and not have to sit through having battle bruises covered with make-up just so she could sit through an evening of being polite and diplomatic (and wearing a dress, she hated that). Eventually the story took up the entire book from back to front. (actually, writing in note books starting from the back has become a bit of a habit, which my current English teacher absolutely hates.) I promise I'll go back to that story one day ...
Oh, you're angry! Click your pen.
--Music and Lyrics

16 Reviews

Reviews: 16
Thu May 12, 2005 9:51 am
IGuessImAnUnderwaterThing says...

As geeky as this gonna sound, Lucy Maud Montgomery's "Emily of New Moon" series. I read these when I was in grade six or seven for the first time and fell completely in love with Emily, Ilse, and the atmosphere of the novels. I was completely entranced by Emily's aspirations, so I myself started writing poetry and prose just for fun, decided I really liked it, and haven't put my pen down since.
You're just an empty cage girl if you kill the bird.

As if you were on fire from within. The moon lives in the lining of your skin.
— Pablo Neruda