z

Young Writers Society

Music Tastes

44 Reviews

Reviews: 44
Wed Dec 01, 2004 5:21 pm
WinterGrimm says...

I listen to many types of music. Going to work one day I listened to the local jazz station and listened to a good forty minutes or so of folk and bluegrass and then was bumping the metal station on the way home (because they were playing something that wasn't Linkin Park for a change). I swear our classic rock station is more of a hark rock station than our hard rock station. Anyway.

I love The Beatles. Can't say enough good about The Beatles. In my opinion they are the best band of this century no questions. My favorite. ^_^

Tessitore wrote:I WAS into Evanescence (did I list them? They're on my hard drive, I think... or were) and Linkin Park and all that, but I got bored with them. It's when you can't tell really between one song and the next (plus the Evanescence girl was really bad live) that you know... the band needs to stop. Just stop.

That really dissapoints me that she's not that great live. But Lacuna Coil is better anyway. I recomend Lacuna Coil.

Other obscure bands I like and recomend
Dresden Dolls (thanks Tess)
Rasputina (they can play rock on Cellos. How bassass is that?)
Me First and the Gimmie Gimmies (best punk cover band EVER)
Iced Earth
Blind Guardian
Lacuna Coil
Children of Bodom
Aquabats
Mr. Bungle (Tool's Mike Patton side project)
The Cardigans
Mindless Self Indulgence
Concrete Blonde
E Nomine
Colide
Eels
MC 900 Foot Jesus
Save Ferris
Nightwish
Tsunami Bomb
Flogging Molly (they're getting more mainstream though)

Plus I also like
The Vines
Vanessa Carlton
Michelle Branch (even though I don't think she's going to evolve much)
Joan Jett
Simon and Garfunkle
Dido
Run DMC
House of Pain
Cypress Hill
Beastie Boys
Outkast
Ludicris
Notorious BIG
Frou Frou
Primus
Basement Jaxx
Queen
Barenaked Ladies
Tenacious D
Rob Zombie
Maralyn Manson
Powerman 5000
Static X
Cake
No Doubt (pre Rock Steady)
Pink Floyd
Led Zeppelin
The Doors
The Beatles
Nirvana
Pearl Jam
Offspring
Social Distortion
Brian Setzer Orchestra
Cherry Poppin Daddies
Reel Big Fish
Sumi Jo
Garbage
Monkees
The Cranberries
Nine Inch Nails
KMFDM
The Cure
Gravity Kills
Tool
A Perfect Circle
Enya
Enigma
Elton John
Julian Lennon
Billy Joel
Dick Dale and His Del Tones
Johnny Cash
Fiona Apple
David Bowie
Weezer
Shakira
Smashing Pumpkins
Kaene
Evanescence (although my interest is waning)
AC/DC
Rammstien
Coal Chamber
Cradle of Filth
Kittie
King's Singers
Rockapella
Loreena McKinnett
Sarah McLachland
Stabbing Westward
Mozart
Vivaldi
Grieg
Mussorgsky
Oh there's more... I just can't think of them right now....

Plus I have a bunch of movie and musical soundtracks I love
Urinetown: The Musical (far more intelligent comedy than the title would have you believe)
Moulin Rouge
42nd Street
Phantom of the Opera
The Producers
Les Miserables
Aida
Rocky Horror Picture Show
South Park: Bigger, Longer, and Uncut
Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Once More With Feeling (musical episode soundtrack)
The Fifth Element
I like alot of music from 10 Things I Hate About You (too bad half those songs aren't on the soundtrack ex. Joan Jett and Notorious BIG)
Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon
Spirited Away
Princess Mononoke
Cowboy Bebop
Star Wars soundtracks
Last edited by WinterGrimm on Wed Dec 01, 2004 5:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
That love is suffering is easy to see, for before the love becomes equally balanced on both sides there is no torment greater, since the lover is always in fear that his love may not gain its desire and that he is wasting his efforts.
Andreas Cappelanus, The Art of Courtly Love

1259 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1259
Wed Dec 01, 2004 5:28 pm
Firestarter says...

I'm a fan of Oasis, Jet, and Gun's n' Roses. Three of the best bands, with awesome songwriters, Oasis particually.

Yeh, OASIS rock!! I'm from the city they were born, grew up in and live, good ol' Manchester!

I'm not such a fan of Jet though. I was disappointed by their album, but their first single was great.
Nate wrote:And if YWS ever does become a company, Jack will be the President of European Operations. In fact, I'm just going to call him that anyways.

Random avatar

Reviews: 241
Tue Apr 05, 2005 10:29 pm
Harley says...

Hmmm.....okey dokey here we go

THE RAMONES MY BRAIN IS HANGING UPSIDE DOWN
The Sex Pistols
ACDC
Led Zeppelin
Sum 41
Blink 182
The Killers
Kaiser chiefs
Snow Patrol
Franz Ferdinand
The Libertines
Oasis
Green Day
American Hi Fi
Muse
Maroon 5
Queen
REM
Guns N Roses
Head Automatica
Savage Garden
Scissor Sisters
Wheatus
Incubus
Hanson
Arctic Monkeys
Razorlight
The Dandy Warhols [part of me thinks this is purely because of the name]
The Clash
Linkin Park
Papa Roach
Avril Lavigne
James Blunt
Michelle Branch
Damien Rice
Jesse McCartney
Hilary Duff songs stick in my head for some unknown reason...

I had a big clearing out my music thingy last week so i only have 537 songs. I used to have 2 days of music, but now I only have 1.4.

Winter Grimm i love you!!!! BUFFY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It rocks so much!!!

There is a song called "Banana Phone" by Raffi and ilove it cuz its so stupid its funny. :D

Franz Ferdinand are from Glasgow and i was born there! yayay they rawk if you haven't already check them out.

~*~*updated mt list*~*~

forgot to add that MUSIC IS MY LIFE and ROCK RULES

now i have 723 songs; 1.8 days; 2.75 GB
Last edited by Harley on Tue Jun 14, 2005 3:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.

85 Reviews

Reviews: 85
Tue Apr 05, 2005 11:29 pm
Chanson says...

wow i love reading everyone's lists of the bands they like. there are some people here who basically just listed like every possible band i could ever think of that i love. it's pretty cool.

i'm really into all sorts of music, mainly rock, indie, alternative...but really, my musical taste can't be defined. some of the bands i like are

the guggenheim grotto (irish folk, check out their website there are some great free downloads. their music is really like damien rice's, only less mainstream, so if you like anything by him...which i do...you'll ove these dudes)

all the classics blow my mind on a daily basis (THE BEATLES, rolling stones, jimi hendrix, LED ZEPPELIN, PINK FLOYD, bob dylan, the who...you get the idea)

the dresden dolls
snow patrol
razorlight
gun'n'roses ( i love those guys, but i really don't like velvet revolver. does anyone here like that band?)
U2
weezer
aesop rock
DIRE STRAITS
feeder
muse
some old elton john songs blow my mind! (tiny dancer)
thrice
bright eyes
the shins
flogging molly used to be good but i'm not so nto their stuff anymore, plus the guys are total pervs
david bowie
the doors
peaches
modest mouse
some of The postal service's music is pretty good
iron and wine
van morrison
save ferris
black rebel motor cycle club (i know nothing about the band but i have two of their cds and the more i listen to them, the more i fall in love)
neil young
ambulance ltd (though, now they are so mainstream i am told it isn't cool to like them)
tom petty
split lip rayfield
violent femmes
the velvet underground
they might be giants
the frames
the libertines
the flaming lips
the killers
the sexy magazines
the arcade fire

many, many other 'the.....' bands that will be fading into total obscurity in the very near future. i've been known to listen to RHCP, Radiohead (kid A is amazing), PJ Harvey and Tori Amos back in the day.

i like some john mayer stuff and jack johnson's song "sitting, wishing, waiting" kills me, i love it.

a huge and uncountable number of very obscure punk, rock and especially indie bands whose music i have found on various sites, loved it and then have never been able to find again. and a couple of my friend's bands and bands from the SoCal scene are really great. i love when you find bands at that stage where they're really just playing to have fun and to make music and stuff....it's so exciting. i admit, i'm a total groupie!

i think basically what i'm saying is, i listen to everything. the people i hang around with introduce me to new music everyday...i sit in one car and i'm listening to basement jaxx, jamiroquai and that chick from zero 7 and i get in another car and i'm listening to Nine Inch Nails, Children of Bodom, AC/DC and many, many random hardcore metal bands that i can't remember the names of for the life of me but, when you can catually hear the lyrics, are pretty damn good.

i love listening to new bands so my musical taste changes everyday.

as for the band evanescence (don't care how you spell it!), i can't say i'm a fan. my friend played guitar for them for a while (he was gonna go on tour with them) and i hung out with them...they're pretty annoying people and their music isn't all that real.

but if any of you know of any really cool new bands pleasepleaseplease post them here so i can check them out. unless the bands have anything to do with country or pop in which case back far, far away :)

558 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 558
Wed Apr 06, 2005 4:38 pm
Matt Bellamy says...

Couldn't live without music. Namely

The Killers
Muse
Queen
Maroon 5
Razorlight
Bon Jovi
Placebo
RHCP
Placebo
Linkin Park
Keane
Snow Patrol
Green Day
Rainbow
The Rolling Stones
Matt.

Got Tumblr? Me too! http://www.writersam.co.uk

Peeking Cat Poetry Magazine is accepting submissions! http://peekingcatpoetrymagazine.blogspot.co.uk

Random avatar

Wed Apr 06, 2005 4:46 pm
Harley says...

Matt you have very very very good tastes!!!

558 Reviews

Supporter

Wed Apr 06, 2005 4:48 pm
Matt Bellamy says...

:D

Oh yeah Franz, forgot to add them!
Matt.

Peeking Cat Poetry Magazine is accepting submissions! http://peekingcatpoetrymagazine.blogspot.co.uk

Random avatar

Wed Apr 06, 2005 4:53 pm
Harley says...

how could you?!?! lol

1259 Reviews

Supporter

Wed Apr 06, 2005 4:57 pm
Firestarter says...

Hmmm...

I'll make a list of all the bands I think are great. (It's alphabetical because I'm reading it off my mp3 player)

Ash
Bloc Party
The Clash
Coldplay
The Cure
The Dears
Dogs
Feeder
Franz Ferdinand
The Futureheads
Head Automatica
The Hives
Incubus
Interpol
Kaiser Chiefs
Kasabian
The Killers
Kings of Leon
The Libertines
Lostprophets
Mando Diao
The Mars Volta
Maximo Park
Nine Black Alps
Oasis
The Others
The Paddingtons
Pink Floyd
The Ramones
Razorlight
The Rolling Stones
The Smiths
The Strokes
The Subways
The Who
Yeti

Some others probably too, but these are on my mp3 so I probably listen to these the most.
Nate wrote:And if YWS ever does become a company, Jack will be the President of European Operations. In fact, I'm just going to call him that anyways.

85 Reviews

Reviews: 85
Wed Apr 06, 2005 10:55 pm
Chanson says...

the clash. THE CLASH. can't believe i forgot the clash. i have just about every clash cd in existence.

oh and Bloc Party are pretty good too, i'm gonna go see them at Coachella (coolest music festival ever) end of april, along with bright eyes, snowpatrol, the killers, weezer, the arcade fire, the bravery, thrice, the kills, zap mama, the dresden dolls, the futureheads, kasabian, razorlight, mercury rev, shout out louds...woosh, yeah you get the picture.......if anyone lives in california i suggest you run not walk to the ticket office if you are any kind of music person. it's going to be so amazing. i kind of start hyperventilating if i think about it too much, i'm so excited :lol:

firestarter (or jack?), that is so freakin close to the music on my ipod, it's kind of mind boggling.

1259 Reviews

Supporter

Thu Apr 07, 2005 1:35 pm
Firestarter says...

I like Jack more, heh. Yeh, I missed some other stuff that you had on yours mainly because I don't listen to it that much but it's still pretty good...like the Dresden Dolls, and The Arcade Fire. Although, I'm not really sure I like Arcade Fire that much. I should probably get a few more of their stuff before I make a decision though.

263 Reviews

Reviews: 263
Thu Apr 07, 2005 4:01 pm
Lollipop says...

I'm into:

*Evanescense
*Green Day
*Scissor Sisters
*The Killers
*Blink 182

I absolutely hate Britney Spears, Kylie Minogue, Danii Minogue, Joss Stone, Madonna and Destiny's Child. They SUCK! Lol!
I used to listen to dance music but then it just got REALLY BORING!!!! All those heavy beats just ended up giving me a headache.

~Lollipop~
Way hay!!!!

563 Reviews

Reviews: 563
Thu Apr 07, 2005 9:11 pm
Writersdomain says...

I honestly like the instrumental type of music. I love soundtracks and Celtic type CD's
Some of my favorite CD's are: All 3 LOTR soundtracks, Pirates of the Caribbean, Phantom of the Opera (I love the notes and the love song in that one), Les Miserables, and a bunch of other ones.
Some of the singing groups I like are Casting Crowns and Avalon and Rich Mullins.
~ WD
If you desire a review from WD, post here

"All I know, all I'm saying, is that a story finds a storyteller. Not the other way around." ~Neverwas

558 Reviews

Supporter

Sun Apr 10, 2005 12:58 pm
Matt Bellamy says...

Just bought a new CD today. I realise that my music taste racnges from Damien Rice to Metallica...

And I think this is also the post that makes my ranking novelist :D
Matt.

94 Reviews

Reviews: 94
Sun Apr 10, 2005 1:06 pm
Zion says...

DJ Tiesto
Paul Oakefold
William Orbit
Paul Van Dyk
Ian Van Dahl
Carl Cox
Miranda
Enya
Enigma
Lylie Minogue
Maddonna
Within Temptaion
Blackmore's Night
Scissor Sisters
Nightwish
Evanesence
Linkin Park
and many other random songs
Without sensibility no object would be given to us, without understanding no object would be thought. Thoughts without content are empty, intuitions without concepts are blind.

Immanuel Kant
"Critique of Pure Reason"

“Sorry about the blood in your mouth. I wish it was mine. I couldn't get the boy to kill me, but I wore his jacket for the longest time.”
— Richard Siken