z

Young Writers Society

Sexism at the Movies

701 Reviews

Reviews: 701
Sat Nov 19, 2005 10:47 pm
bubblewrapped says...

Have you ever seen a movie you thought was sexist/prejudiced, or just plain rubbed you the wrong way, whether it was intentional or not? Not just women, guys too. What about genres of movies that you dislike - or find annoying at times - because they're sexist? How would you like to see them change?
Last edited by bubblewrapped on Sun Nov 20, 2005 1:34 am, edited 2 times in total.
Got a poem or short story you want me to critique?

There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way, and not to give others absurd maddening claims upon it. (C D Morley)

Random avatar

Reviews: 681
Sat Nov 19, 2005 10:52 pm
Sponson Light says...

Going to get them banned because they dont appeal to you?
Sure they dont appeal to me, but movies like Undercover Brother where they make fun of black people and white people alike is funny, and should stay that way.

If you dont like the movie, dont watch it again. I know I dont watch movies I hate.
You shouldn't judge a book by it's cover, instead, you should read every single book to see what every book is about before you even come close to judging its viability.

506 Reviews

Reviews: 506
Sat Nov 19, 2005 11:00 pm
Sureal says...

I quite like True Lies, and have no idea what you're on about.

They make fun of males just as much as they do females (probably more so).
I wrote the above just for you.

Random avatar

Sat Nov 19, 2005 11:24 pm
Sponson Light says...

But I guess girls being made fun of was a lot more dramatic for her because she's a girl, and forgot to see how the movie makes fun of men, because she's not a man.
Ive never seen the movie, nor do I fully support my claim, I am Bob Barker at the 13 o'clock news at 7.

But seriously, sometimes I think people dont care about something unless it interferes with them, and then its only the part that interferes.
You shouldn't judge a book by it's cover, instead, you should read every single book to see what every book is about before you even come close to judging its viability.

701 Reviews

Sat Nov 19, 2005 11:28 pm
bubblewrapped says...

Sponson, I'm not even going to dignify that with a reply.

Sureal; I never said I didnt like the movie - merely that I felt that some of it was unnecessarily crude, and that I didnt like the way they portrayed women. It irritated me. I dont mind them making *fun* of women, but I do mind it when women are portrayed as overly stupid. Maybe this is because I'm particularly sensitive about my own intelligence, but hey. There it is. An opinion. OMG! She actually has a different opinion! Lets all dump on bubble!

Sorry. Bad day.

Anyway, what I was really aiming at with this post was to see if other people felt similarly about this or *other* movies of the same era/type/whatever. If you liked True Lies, great. Thats not what this is about. What I want to know is what movies you felt were sexist and why.

There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way, and not to give others absurd maddening claims upon it. (C D Morley)

Random avatar

Sat Nov 19, 2005 11:55 pm
Sponson Light says...

You did dignify my post with something.
You said this was offensive to girls because it was portraying girls badly.
Notice how sureal said that it made portrayed men badly as well. "to make fun of", that includes portraying a type of people in an over-dramatic way.

I can say the movie was sexist because it made fun of males.

701 Reviews

Sun Nov 20, 2005 12:19 am
bubblewrapped says...

Sponson, I am beginning to get quite annoyed with you. All I'm trying to do is have a discussion, not state categorically that making fun of women is bad. Please, try not to take me so seriously!

I realize that the movie made fun of males too. I dont object to either sex being made an object of humor, I merely objected to the fact that on the side of the women, it appeared to me to be cruder, and it irritated me. I felt it was unnecessary and a trifle offensive. Am I making myself clear now? Or do I have to continue repeating what I've already said?

1259 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1259
Sun Nov 20, 2005 12:22 am
Firestarter says...

Every Hollywood cliche-ridden movie in existence is sexist. Entertainment simply plays on sexual stereotyping.
Nate wrote:And if YWS ever does become a company, Jack will be the President of European Operations. In fact, I'm just going to call him that anyways.

701 Reviews

Sun Nov 20, 2005 12:25 am
bubblewrapped says...

That's a bit of a generalization. Not that I dont agree with you - they're usually sexist in one way or another. Do you have a particular movie or genre in mind?

1259 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1259
Sun Nov 20, 2005 12:47 am
Firestarter says...

Action films that portray men as people who (a) like violence (b) only think about sex (c) have no feelings and can never cry (d) or stupid. Of course, they portray women terribly too.

Why can't I see an action film about a hero who actually has weaknesses? And I'm not talking about some poor subplot regarding either (a) his father cop being murdered just before he retired or (b) his father was a war hero and he lives in his shadow or (c) *insert something about his dead father*. I'm bored of heroes. I want to see a 19-year-old guy who can't load a gun, who can't deal with women, who slits his wrists and takes too many drugs, who kills some person by accident in a jealous anger, who is cornered by the police, who is empathised by with some guy ... I dunno ... I want some originality.
Nate wrote:And if YWS ever does become a company, Jack will be the President of European Operations. In fact, I'm just going to call him that anyways.

Random avatar

Sun Nov 20, 2005 12:57 am
Sponson Light says...

Your a-d fit all the descriptions of james bond. Ironically, it portrays woman as sexy damsels waiting to get shagged, or a secret agent too.

Sponson, I am beginning to get quite annoyed with you.

And Im getting annoyed with you! But thats beside the point.

Almost every movie has sexist remarks.
In the thirteen warriors there was a line "You make woman noises" (paraphrasing) when the dude said "ouch".
Matrix has women wearing skin tight spandex-type dealie suits.

You usually become desensitized to it. Remember kids, its a movie, just because it portrays all the women as stupid morons (which was your problem) doesnt mean all of them are stupid morons, nor will it change everyone's opinion that women are stupid morons.
People wont treat you differently because they saw the movie. Unless you want them to with that quote in your sig.
Last edited by Sponson Light on Sun Nov 20, 2005 1:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

266 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 266
Sun Nov 20, 2005 12:59 am
backgroundbob says...

Napolean Dynamite, anyone?

Seriously, though: I think there are films that deal with the weak side of men. Look at About Schmidt, for example, or Lost in Translation, even some Nicholas Cage films.
The problem is that you first have to have actors who can play that role really well, and they're all raised to play the hero. Hollywood, it kills the emotional man, unless they're brilliant. Murray, Cage, Nicholson; they're all great actors, and so they get a little more licence than other people.
The Oneday Cafe
though we do not speak, we are by no means silent.

701 Reviews

Sun Nov 20, 2005 1:32 am
bubblewrapped says...

Action films that portray men as people who (a) like violence (b) only think about sex (c) have no feelings and can never cry (d) or stupid. Of course, they portray women terribly too.

Yeah. Usually I dont mind the mild sexism of action movies (i.e. damsels-in-distress, insensitive men, etc), although it does get tiresome after a while. Still, they never claim to be deep. I simply felt this one went a bit too far in places and it surprised me. Thats all I'm saying. I could care less about "True Lies", really, it was only an example of things that annoy me sometimes in movies.

Why can't I see an action film about a hero who actually has weaknesses? ... I want some originality.

Here here!

backgroundbob - yes, I agree, there are some great films that deal with the emotional side of men (though I wouldnt necessarily call it the weaker side). What I think Firestarter was saying was there arent many good *action* movies that deal with men who actually have real emotions, etc. Although, speaking of which, have you seen "Frequency"? That didnt do too badly in that area really. Not that it was exactly an *action* film, per se. More like a thriller with some really good action bits hehe.

798 Reviews

Reviews: 798
Mon Nov 21, 2005 3:05 am
Areida says...

Frequency was good. I was also impressed by a fairly recent Clint Eastwood, In the Line of Fire. I also saw The Jackal, with Bruce Willis and Richard Gere. I was more impressed by how well they acted in such a role, since I usually see them in those "feel good" type movies.
Got YWS?

"Most of us have far more courage than we ever dreamed we possessed."
- Dale Carnegie

128 Reviews

Reviews: 128
Wed Nov 30, 2005 4:30 pm
Galatea says...

Must Love Dogs annoyed the hell outta me. The woman is divorced barely 3 months and already freaking out about needing to get married again? I can't stand movies that imply that women NEED men, and if they don't have one there is something wrong with them. Good goddess those drive me nuts.

I'm usually a sucker for a well done chick-flick. Pretty Woman comes to mind. Some feminist I turned out to be...

As far as action films go, sure, I could go for some originality, but I don't generally watch a gritty action film for the good acting and interesting plot line. I want to see stuff blown up by a man on whose abs one could grate cheese. I adore Kung Fu movies. Kung Fu Hustle was particularly enjoyable.
Sing lustily and with a good courage. Beware of singing as if you were half dead, or half asleep; but lift up your voice with strength.

The poetry of the earth is never dead.
— John Keats