z

Young Writers Society

Yws - So welcoming?

84 Reviews

Reviews: 84
Sun Jun 01, 2008 6:06 am
ink_on_fire says...

I have been with YWS for four years and this is what I see:

YWS has become a popularity contest and a Hierarchy. The most original members are controlling not only the content, but also the style of writing that they think is acceptable, and the members participation in the site. Narrow-mindedness is cloaking every forum. Not everyone wants to write like the top 10 users of YWS because, you know what - there is such a thing as originality, and yes, uniqueness even exists. And I am not talking about spelling and grammar so don't explain the obvious, please. Look outside your box.

Secondly, Nate appears racist. Hands up all high-ranking American users... Now, where are the highly thought-of British users in this free democracy of YWS... Giving an American privileges but banning a British person if they 'appear' to attack back is not acceptable. And just because the Site Admin is the Site Admin doesn't mean that what he thinks is right is automatically right. Debates are debates, not submissions for the Greater Authority or a commission for the Truth. You are expected to differ in thought in such a scenario...are you not? This site is a hypocrisy.

http://www.youngwriterssociety.com/topic30801-15.html
For peace of mind.

This is not a writer's site. This isn't even a freedom of right or speech site. Let alone a site to grow in - a beginner writes a piece of work... Quick flush them out, they are inferior to the pure YWS race!

The arrogance and 'knowledge' that gets thrown around as the absolute is astounding. Imagine a new member correcting one of the moderators - no, never! The high-ranking users are smarter, right? They know more. They don't need to listen to inferiors. In fact, this is their site, isn't it? They were the ones who made it.

Well, to put it frankly, this ideal won't last for long. How many people are leaving as of late? I know I am. I mean, as if you'd even leave this post up. Oh, no. You'll delete it. And most likely ban me. But I'm leaving anyway, so I'll make a boom.

Potential writer's come here and get shot down. Not only in their writing, but young people, as young as 11 and 12 are getting cut down because of questions, beliefs and, I fear, race.

Nate personally is controlling and harsh. Just because he is Admin does not give him the right to be hard, callous, argumentative, arrogant and always right.

If you actually read this, think about it. And get your finger out.

As a writer, I will expand and grow without the crushing atmosphere of how 'The People' think I should write. I crave originality and freedom in my work and this place here is the last place I can find that.

Four years ago, this site was welcoming, less-controlling, and had younger moderators. I suppose with age comes pride and arrogance. Now I'd rather leave behind my beloved YWS because it is not the same. And as if I can put up with arrogance and racism.

I rest my case.
Peace all,
Ink_on_fire
Smile - ur alive

If we choose, we can live in a world of comforting illusion.
— Noam Chomsky