z

Young Writers Society

Journey to the Center of the Earth

2058 Reviews

Reviews: 2058
Mon May 19, 2008 12:48 am
Emerson says...

I just saw a preview on TV for another film adaptation of Jules Verne's Journey to the Center of the Earth. For a few seconds, I was excited. I was a big Verne fan when I was a little kid, and I still am even though I haven't read his books in a while.

But, I hunted around on IMDB and found some reviews from the screening. As expected, this adaptation is horrible like they all have been. Are there any other Verne fans out there who think it is high time we get a good movie version?

Around the world in 80 Days was annoying, too. The film, I mean.
“It's necessary to have wished for death in order to know how good it is to live.”
― Alexandre Dumas, The Count of Monte Cristo

685 Reviews

Reviews: 685
Mon May 19, 2008 12:55 am
Rei says...

I saw the preview last night, too. The guy next to me pointed out that it wasn't really an adaptation but more of a, "Wow, Verne was right!" sort of thing. Still, I agree with you. I think he's turning in his grave right now.
Please, sit down before you fall down.
Belloq, "Raiders of the Lost Ark"

647 Reviews

Reviews: 647
Tue May 20, 2008 3:56 am
Alteran says...

I just say it today. Gag, Walden Media needs to take it's horrific movie making nose and stick it someone else's budget. I think Narnia is the only movie they've done with any good outcome.

I watched the old one, like the original and it's brilliant. I don't think it needs a remake.
"Maybe Senpai ate Yuka-tan's last bon-bon?"
----Stupei, Ace Defective

87 Reviews

Reviews: 87
Tue May 20, 2008 3:23 pm
Perra says...

I saw the preview last Friday, and my thought only thought was; "What happened to the Jurassic Park T-Rex?" It's been over ten years (just about fifteen) since its release, and those dinosaurs/special effects still look realer and better than the dinos/effects in movies today. If it wasn't for Weta Workshop's work in The Lord of the Rings, I'd give up hope that big effects would look real again anytime soon. *misses animatronics* So, yeah, I'm not real interested in the movie. Its T-Rex fails. Other than that, I haven't read the book (at least, I don't remember it), and the preview still struck me as nothing like it. *sigh*
YWS gives me carpal tunnel.

Need a Critique?

Evil lurks everywhere, often in plain sight...Can you lurk in plain sight? Or is that just walking?

241 Reviews

Reviews: 241
Sat May 24, 2008 4:41 pm
lyrical_sunshine says...

I haven't ever read the original book - it's still on my to-do list. So I thought the movie looked good. But, since I'm not a Jules Verne fan, I was just looking at it as a movie.
“We’re still here,” he says, his voice cold, his hands shaking. “We know how to be invisible, how to play dead. But at the end of the day, we are still here.” ~Dax

Teacher: "What do we do with adjectives in Spanish?"
S: "We eat them!"

There is hopeful symbolism in the fact that flags do not wave in a vacuum.
— Arthur C. Clarke