z

Young Writers Society

Spam usernames

65 Reviews

Reviews: 65
Thu Apr 14, 2005 7:40 pm
Midnight says...

Have a look at the birthdays and membershiplist...
available

1259 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1259
Thu Apr 14, 2005 7:43 pm
Firestarter says...

Nate already knows. He's hoping to delete some of them soon....I hope we can implement a security code feature to prevent people from making these kinds of accounts.
Nate wrote:And if YWS ever does become a company, Jack will be the President of European Operations. In fact, I'm just going to call him that anyways.

425 Reviews

Reviews: 425
Thu Apr 14, 2005 8:15 pm
Nate says...

And I thought there was really 720 registered users... ;)

What's happening is someone out there has created a bot that automatically creates usernames. To stop this, I'm requiring visual confirmation from now on (to see what I mean just log out and then go to the register page).

Anyways, later tonight I'm gonna go ahead and delete all the illegitimate usernames. I would do it right now since it shouldn't take very long (ten minutes tops), but I'm going to my "job" as soon as I finish typing this.

558 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 558
Thu Apr 14, 2005 8:24 pm
Matt Bellamy says...

Oh yeah, like a picture of a word and you have to type the word to verify you're not a bot, I've had to do that before. *recognition*
Matt.

Got Tumblr? Me too! http://www.writersam.co.uk

Peeking Cat Poetry Magazine is accepting submissions! http://peekingcatpoetrymagazine.blogspot.co.uk

1259 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1259
Thu Apr 14, 2005 8:27 pm
Firestarter says...

That's what I meant by security code feature. Couldn't think of the word. I knew what I meant in my mind.
Nate wrote:And if YWS ever does become a company, Jack will be the President of European Operations. In fact, I'm just going to call him that anyways.

481 Reviews

Reviews: 481
Thu Apr 14, 2005 9:49 pm
Bobo says...

Can you get a hack to limit the possible characters too? Or at least make people use letters? Those all number or all symbol usernames are annoying, although I doubt most people would want to use them anyways.

425 Reviews

Thu Apr 14, 2005 11:54 pm
Nate says...

All the spam usernames will be deleted within 24 hours. The program that I have running now to delete them will not allow me to delete them before that. But, 24 hours isn't that long of a time.

After all is said and done, expect the username count to drop below the number that it was before the spamming; possibly to down around 300. This is because I am deleting all users who have never logged in.

A lot of the names, though, are really funny. I like Vote Catholic Papacy 2006, lol. It comes right after other ones that say Vote George Bush 2000, Vote Al Gore 1997, Vote Dick Cheney 2004 and so forth.

418 Reviews

Reviews: 418
Fri Apr 15, 2005 2:06 am
electricbluemonkey says...

Those are pretty funny names...

And I too thought that we had so many members, but I couldn't believe it. I mean, gain about 300 members in a couple of days? It was scary...
Gotta a find a woman be good to me,
Who won't hide my liquor, try to serve me tea.

425 Reviews

Fri Apr 15, 2005 10:17 pm
Nate says...

All fixed :P

The member total is, as of right now, 360, which is below the level it was before the spamming. This is because I deleted all users who have never logged into their accounts. Most of those accounts were just people who were >13 and couldn't join without explicit parental permission (required by the COPPA act), although I think a few others weren't real either.

418 Reviews

Reviews: 418
Sat Apr 16, 2005 1:10 am
electricbluemonkey says...

Ah, finally. I was getting kind of tired seeing all of those people who have never even posted on there. It was annoying.
Gotta a find a woman be good to me,
Who won't hide my liquor, try to serve me tea.

People find it far easier to forgive others for being wrong than being right.
— Albus Dumbledore