z

Young Writers Society

TORINO OLYMPICS

1259 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1259
Mon Feb 27, 2006 10:37 am
Firestarter says...

And for the record, it's jusy hockey. No need for an adjective unless it's not the regular kind. Honestly, to a Canadian's ear, it's like saying tuna fish. We all know tuna is a fish, just like we know hockey is generally played on ice.

I need the adjective because when people say hockey over here it refers to field hockey, which came first. Ice hockey is not so popular in Britain so we use the adjective, thanks. I don't need to be told how to write things ...

Great Britain did very well at the games, only one medal (silver) for the women's skeleton but for a country where there is no winter conditions and very little funding for the winter olympians, it's a great achievement. We also got high positions (4th in men's curling, for example) in plenty of other sports and so overall we did well. Next time I think we can get two or three medals.
Nate wrote:And if YWS ever does become a company, Jack will be the President of European Operations. In fact, I'm just going to call him that anyways.

685 Reviews

Reviews: 685
Mon Feb 27, 2006 1:40 pm
Rei says...

sabradan wrote:No medals for Israel. Boo hoo. :(
This is proof positive of why the Summer games are better.

Or proof why desert countries are a little out of place in winter games. I'm sorry if I sound rude, but I hope you can see my point. Winter sports are a part of our national pride.

I wasn't telling you how to write. I was telling you the perspective of Canadians on our national winter sport. Just a bit of trivia: What's Canada's official summer game?
Last edited by Rei on Mon Feb 27, 2006 7:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Please, sit down before you fall down.
Belloq, "Raiders of the Lost Ark"

1259 Reviews

Supporter

Mon Feb 27, 2006 4:34 pm
Firestarter says...

Lacrosse?
Nate wrote:And if YWS ever does become a company, Jack will be the President of European Operations. In fact, I'm just going to call him that anyways.

614 Reviews

Reviews: 614
Mon Feb 27, 2006 4:50 pm
Swires says...

I wasn't telling you how to write. I was telling you the perspective of Canadian's on our national winter sport. Just a bit of trivia: What's Canada's official summer game?

Tiddlywinks? Sorry couldnt resist
Previously known as "Phorcys"
Witherwings Harry Potter RPG

685 Reviews

Reviews: 685
Mon Feb 27, 2006 6:37 pm
Rei says...

Very funny. And I'm impressed, Jack. Even a lot of Canadians don't know that.
Please, sit down before you fall down.
Belloq, "Raiders of the Lost Ark"

1259 Reviews

Supporter

Mon Feb 27, 2006 6:50 pm
Firestarter says...

Well, I only know that becaue Lacrosse is big near me (Stockport), and is pretty much the centre of Lacrosse activity in the whole of England and the UK. One of my friends plays and they did a tour of Canada last year.

18 Reviews

Reviews: 18
Mon Feb 27, 2006 7:33 pm
kiashana says...

Honestly? I've barely watched any of the Olympics. I missed the openning ceremonies (possibly babysitting or doing homework... Or watching Family Guy). I watched parts of whatever was on when my mom was watching it. A little of the ice skating, a little snowboarding, a little skiing... It isn't very exciting, actually.

147 Reviews

Reviews: 147
Mon Feb 27, 2006 8:34 pm
sabradan says...

Reichieru wrote:
sabradan wrote:No medals for Israel. Boo hoo. :(
This is proof positive of why the Summer games are better.

Or proof why desert countries are a little out of place in winter games. I'm sorry if I sound rude, but I hope you can see my point. Winter sports are a part of our national pride.

I wasn't telling you how to write. I was telling you the perspective of Canadians on our national winter sport. Just a bit of trivia: What's Canada's official summer game?

Except Israel isn't only a desert country. We have mountains in the north, one of which has snow on it. (the Hermon) people ski there all the time. There is an olympic-sized Ice skating/training center in Herziliyah, called the Canada Center (funded by Canadian olim)

And besides, like most Olympic teams, the Israeli teams spend a good deal OUTSIDE Israel training. For example, The newly formed Israeli Bobsled team (dont laugh! They didnt even get to compete this time around) train most of the winter in Canada, because Canada is one of the only countries to have a bobsled course to train on.
"He who takes a life...it is as if he has destroyed an entire world....but he who saves one life, it is as if he has saved the world entire" Talmud Sanhedrin 4:5

!Hasta la victoria siempre! (Always, until Victory!)
-Ernesto "Che" Guevarra

The greatest part of a writer’s time is spent in reading, in order to write; a man will turn over half a library to make one book.
— Samuel Johnson