z

Young Writers Society

An odd request-need opinions on certain reactions

365 Reviews

Reviews: 365
Wed Feb 01, 2006 3:04 am
View Likes
Fishr says...

Howdy all. So like the title says, I'm looking for opinions on two normal reactions; shock and stern
(I'm actually not sure if stern is a reaction; maybe an emotion?).

So theoretically, if you were shocked; in shock how would you react in a physical circumstance?

As far as 'being stern' or an example of being stern: "His face grew stern." What does it mean to be stern to you in a physical circumstance?

Odd questions, I know, but I'm looking for feedback. My point of view of being stern or shocked would be different from another person's point of view. So, I guess that's what I'm really looking for; another point of view.

My only other request is I would like you to be honest because I want a story of mine to be as realistic as possible and no cliche stuff.

Thanks in advance. -Fishr :)
The sadness drains through me rather than skating over my skin. It travels through every cell to reach the ground. I filter it yet strangely enough, I keep what was pure and it is the dirt that leaves.

701 Reviews

Reviews: 701
Wed Feb 01, 2006 3:24 am
View Likes
bubblewrapped says...

Yes that is an odd request. I'd like to help you, but I'm not sure what you want. What do you mean, "in a physical circumstance"? Do you mean, how would I react physically to the shock (what would happen in my body), or do you mean, what would my reactions be to a physical shock (e.g. a slap, or blow)? Or maybe, what sort of expression I would have? Also, I think of sternness more as...a reaction in itself, really, coming from anger or disapproval. So, do you mean, how would I react if someone was stern, or how would I look/feel if I were being stern? Or...what?
Got a poem or short story you want me to critique?

There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way, and not to give others absurd maddening claims upon it. (C D Morley)

Random avatar

Reviews: 142
Wed Feb 01, 2006 3:26 am
Doctor Kitty says...

To me...

Shocked = Eyes widened. Adrenaline rush. Shortened and quickened breath. "Jumping." Gasping. Or atleast, that's what I do when I am shocked.
Stern = Furrowed eyebrows. A grim facial expression. Frown. Breathing out a frustrated puff of air.

863 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 863
Wed Feb 01, 2006 4:15 am
Griffinkeeper says...

When in doubt, use dictionary.com

Stern. 1. Hard, harsh, or severe in manner or character: a stern disciplinarian. See Synonyms at severe.
2. Grim, gloomy, or forbidding in appearance or outlook.
3. Firm or unyielding; uncompromising.
4. Inexorable; relentless: stern necessity.

v. shocked, shock·ing, shocks
v. tr.

1. To strike with great surprise and emotional disturbance.
2. To strike with disgust; offend.
3. To induce a state of physical shock in (a person).
4. To subject (an animal or person) to an electric shock.

I think it is pretty cool how you can find this all out just using a dictionary.
Moderator Emeritus (frozen in carbonite.)

365 Reviews

Wed Feb 01, 2006 4:25 am
View Likes
Fishr says...

Yes that is an odd request. I'd like to help you, but I'm not sure what you want. What do you mean, "in a physical circumstance"? Do you mean, how would I react physically to the shock (what would happen in my body), or do you mean, what would my reactions be to a physical shock (e.g. a slap, or blow)? Or maybe, what sort of expression I would have? Also, I think of sternness more as...a reaction in itself, really, coming from anger or disapproval. So, do you mean, how would I react if someone was stern, or how would I look/feel if I were being stern? Or...what?
Yeah, I meant how would your body react? Example: Shock to me means speecheless or having trouble talking. I'm sure my heart would quicken its pace/or I would shake depending on the senerio. Maybe becoming pale? Not quite sure.

As for sterness, I meant how would a person look/feel if they were being stern?

Thank you BubbleWrapped for helping me to re-adjust my questions. ;) Thank you Mister Waffles and Griffin for taking the time to help. :)
The sadness drains through me rather than skating over my skin. It travels through every cell to reach the ground. I filter it yet strangely enough, I keep what was pure and it is the dirt that leaves.

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Wed Feb 01, 2006 5:37 am
Snoink says...

My eyes would narrow and my cheeks would visibly tighten. I might flush a bit first, then turn white. My eyes would look hard and focused. I would stop twitching, so as to pay close concentration to whatever I'm paying attention to. I would not speak much, but when I did, it would be in a soft, almost alarming voice. I see stern as something close to anger, but without the angst. :P
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

701 Reviews

Reviews: 701
Wed Feb 01, 2006 5:55 am
bubblewrapped says...

OK cool, I get it.

Shocked

Well, this kind of depends on the degree of shock. If I'm really shocked, I kind of get this ringing whine in my ears, and my brain shorts out, but I keep functioning, only its like from a distance. I've been told that in such circumstances I look very pale but otherwise calm and confident. My hands tremble and go sweaty, I get goosebumps & cold sweat, and I feel sick to my stomach. Sometimes afterwards my legs shake and go numb, and in extreme circumstances I short out completely and get dark spots in my vision or faint. Only ever happened once though. Kind of like swimming underwater, having to force yourself to move or speak normally, a stubborn puppet, unoiled joints, great effort to behave normally.

Stern

Cold. Very cold. Sort of, blank expression, but lips firmly set, frowning ever so slightly, sharpness about the body movements, impatience, seriousness and intensity - direct gaze, leaning forward over a desk, maybe, hand-gestures tight and controlled, yes, very controlled, as though holding back. Like Snoink said; anger without the angst.

Hope that helps. I went a bit abstract, but was trying to remember feelings is all.
Got a poem or short story you want me to critique?

There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way, and not to give others absurd maddening claims upon it. (C D Morley)

365 Reviews

Thu Feb 02, 2006 3:14 am
Fishr says...

Sweet! Thanks guys!! Your input has helped me greatly. Now the fun part, wording it, lol. :D :D

By the way Snoink, how's FREAK coming along?

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Thu Feb 02, 2006 4:05 am
View Likes
Snoink says...

Oh... I should post about that in my blog more, shouldn't I? ;)

Chapter 11 almost-done! Moving on to chapter 12, where Sadie sees something very unpleasant and the freak gets a foot massage. XD

And... I just realized you asked about shock. So...

Sad shock is when your body literall tightens up. Your face becomes pale and your fingers and face keep twitching nervously. You really have no control over it. You face falls, turning from the usual expression. Your eyes widen, which really isn't your eyes widening, but your brow moving upwards and your cheeks being pulled down. Your lips get tighter. You feel as if you're there, but not really, so there's a vacant expression in your eyes. Your body starts trembling and you may need to sit. You will slump You get a sudden headache. You won't want to talk, and when you do talk, it'll be more of a stuttering than logical sentences. There may be tears following it. If it's really bad, you'll want some "helpers" which would be drugs or alcohol.

Angry shock is almost the same as far as physical features goes, except a little more aggressive. You'll also talk more, but it won't be logical sentences and may be more yelling instead.

So... yeah. Hope that helps.
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

365 Reviews

Thu Feb 02, 2006 4:31 am
View Likes
Fishr says...

Glad you're still working on your story, FREAK. There's quite a few stories I'm keep tabs on. I've gone full throtle with criting and all that. It's fun actually. I'm currently heading in the Boston Massacre in my story.

Sad shock is when your body literall tightens up. Your face becomes pale and your fingers and face keep twitching nervously. You really have no control over it. You face falls, turning from the usual expression. Your eyes widen, which really isn't your eyes widening, but your brow moving upwards and your cheeks being pulled down. Your lips get tighter. You feel as if you're there, but not really, so there's a vacant expression in your eyes. Your body starts trembling and you may need to sit. You will slump You get a sudden headache. You won't want to talk, and when you do talk, it'll be more of a stuttering than logical sentences. There may be tears following it. If it's really bad, you'll want some "helpers" which would be drugs or alcohol.

Angry shock is almost the same as far as physical features goes, except a little more aggressive. You'll also talk more, but it won't be logical sentences and may be more yelling instead.
Hehehe... Yeah this helped me a lot also. Thank you and thanks again to the others. It helped me quite a bit.

I don't care what the miserable excuse is for showing the death of books, live, on screen. Men, I could understand; but books! -
— Edwin Morgan, From the Video Box 2