z

Young Writers Society

1st person vs. 3rd person limited

78 Reviews

Reviews: 78
Fri Oct 01, 2010 9:25 pm
pinkangel54123 says...

I'm having a dillema, dear YWSers. Something is just telling me that I should change my novel from 1st person to 3rd person limited. Although there isn't a huge difference between the two besides the pronoun usage, I feel that my description is loads better in 3rd. See for yourself.

3rd person

The woman was close; Asha could feel it. Finally. She had been searching for almost fifteen years, and now she could sense the woman’s presence.
Bands of anxiety constricted her heart. What should I say? Should I say anything at all? Her eyes followed the woman who drifted silently past the tree line. The sharp smell of decay blew into Asha’s face, as broken branches crunched underfoot. Idly she wondered why the forest was thinner towards the highway like a balding head. If the situation hadn’t been so tense, maybe she would’ve laughed. Maybe.
She could feel night’s shadowy fingers touching her everywhere, making her skin crawl. She shuddered a bit and suddenly she couldn’t stop; her instincts were telling her to get out. Fast. But she refused to leave until the woman was with her. She urged her feet to move toward the woman, but they seemed to be frozen in place by the uncommonly early autumn frost. “Mom!”

VS.

1st person

I found her. Finally. I had been searching for almost fifteen years.
Bands of anxiety constricted my heart. What should I say? Should I say anything at all? My eyes followed her as she silently drifted past the tree line. The forest was thinner towards the highway, a balding head. The infinite darkness of the night pressed onto me like a shadowy veil of hostility. I shuddered with dread; my instincts were telling me to get out. Fast. But I couldn’t leave until she was with me.
I urged my feet to move toward her, but they seemed to be frozen in place by the uncommonly early autumn frost. “Mom!”

So what's your opinion? What should I do?
Want a heavenly review?

GENERATION 30: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

153 Reviews

Reviews: 153
Fri Oct 01, 2010 9:39 pm
Jagged says...

I think the third-person version looks better right now, and the added description does add to it. Thing is, it seems to me that those extra sentences of description could just as easily be adapted to first person, which would make the point of transition kind of moot. It'd be different if you were considering third omniscient, where you'd get to include details outside of your character's perception and etc, but with limited it doesn't seem like there's much point.

Bottom line I'd say go with the one you're most comfortable writing. If you feel that first comes easier, go with it. If you think your description flows more easily with third, then whoo, third it is.
Lumi: they stand no chance against the JAG SAFETY BLANKET

147 Reviews

Reviews: 147
Sat Oct 02, 2010 11:20 am
LookUpThere says...

A common concept is that 1st Person helps with emotion and 3rd Person with description. In this case I might go with 3rd person. Assuming that the story is totally about her discovering her self and meeting her mom, I feel 3rd person would add to the suspense and keep it from feeling like a diary/journal. PLUS - I think this story might really use body language adequately in ways that 1st person can't notice - after all, people barely notice that they grab the edge of their seat when they lie.

But be comfortable.

There are three rules for writing a novel. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are.
— W. Somerset Maugham