z

Young Writers Society

Can't come up with originality

Random avatar

Reviews: 1
Sat Aug 09, 2008 8:14 pm
Woodleyz Writtingz says...

trying to write an original fantasy, seems impossible to me as everything magical has been taken, nothing seems new to the fantasy genre anymore.

help

210 Reviews

Reviews: 210
Sat Aug 09, 2008 8:39 pm
Meep says...

Technically speaking, nothing is really new any more. Nothing.

What makes good fantasy, in my opinion, is using what already exists in new and interesting ways. Take the Harry Potter series, for example; the idea of a magical school is hardly a new one, and broomsticks, cauldrons and wands have always been a staple of witchy stories. What makes that work is the way she used those old elements in a different way.

Even JRR Tolkien, the granddaddy of modern fantasy stories, borrowed liberally from his sources. Lord of the Rings is, basically, a retelling of the quest story that's been around in mythology probably as long as there's been mythology (or stories, for that matter). He didn't invent elves, dwarves or humans (though he probably did make-up hobbits).

The solution, then, is to just keep reading. When you stumble across something you like, write it down. Don't copy something directly, but write down what you liked (and what you didn't) about the magical systems of the stories you read and eventually you'll get an idea of what you enjoy reading and that will give you a basis for what to write.

If you're still really concerned, look at what your favorite fantasy authors cite as sources for their ideas. Check out folklore and fantasy literature in particular if you want to write fantasy, but also read books in other genres.

Finally, and this is pure opinion, what makes one telling of the quest story different from another is the characters.
✖ I'm sick, you're tired. Let's dance.

Random avatar

Reviews: 1
Sun Aug 10, 2008 5:15 pm
Woodleyz Writtingz says...

Thanks lot meep, that helped alot.

80 Reviews

Reviews: 80
Sat Aug 16, 2008 2:01 am
View Likes
Jay says...

Some tips off the top of my head...

Invent a new species
Set the story in a modern-day Earth place
Use magic in different ways-a renewable energy source or something
Make your characters have to obtain licenses to practise magic

And I agree with Meep-characters can make or break a story. You don't need to write something groundbreakingly original, anyway. As long as it isn't a cliche soup, it'll be fine. I didn't enjoy Eragon as much as I could have because it was like every cliche in one book. The odd cliche is fine, and I don't think cliches should be avoided at all costs.

Random avatar

Reviews: 56
Sat Aug 16, 2008 2:17 pm
View Likes
thunder_dude7 says...

Meep hit the nail on the head. Magic isn't banned because it's been used before, so you can use it, and you canuse all the cliche elements you want.

You just need to take that and use it in a new and interesting way. For example, where do spellcasters get their abilities from? And if you say "books" or "tomes", I'll kill you :D

Just make the whole thing realsitic. Well, aside from dragons and unicorns and whatnot.

SPEAKING OF WHICH.

When using mythical creatures, it's not always the best idea to use the old Dragons and unicorns and pegusi. They can be used, but it would be a nice to uch to try out another mythical creature. Take my newest story: At the start, the beast that flew over the sea and destroyed ships was a dragon, but to maintain some originality, I adjusted it to a Roc, which is an eagle-like bird that is about the same size.

Also, the nature of dragons is always a toughy. Some people make them intelligent and human-like, while some make them wild animals. In my stories, I would compare them to horses: There are wild ones out there, but many have been domesticated.

And on the pedestal these words appear:/'My name is Ozymandias, king of kings;/Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!'/Nothing beside remains.
— Percy Bysshe Shelley