z

Young Writers Society

Sidestepping Mary Sewage

1258 Reviews

Reviews: 1258
Sat Dec 08, 2007 9:39 pm
Sam says...

Maybe you've spent all night working on a story, just to find out "your characters need some more flaws". Or even that "I couldn't identify with your character".

This is both puzzling and troubling news. How does one go about putting in flaws? Or making characters more identifiable? Because, come on, that fight scene in which your main character slaughtered sixty ninja assassins all at the same time was pretty sweet.

And he's got great hair, too. And a hot college girlfriend. Not to mention that he volunteers for the humane society in his spare time, because the pain of the animals just speaks to him.

Who wouldn't love his heartfelt poetry, that reveals the lake of sadness and despair in the pit of his soul?

*raises hand* Sorry, bud. I wouldn't.

Perhaps your character isn't quite this exaggerated, but you still need some way of making sense of this Flaw Business. And even if you just want an extra boost in this Hell pit we call character development, you'll want to know what a Mary Sue is, why they are horribly wrong, and what you can do to prevent further Sewage.

First, a definition:

MARY SUE/GARY STU: According to PotterSues, this is a character that's "beautiful, powerful, has a perfect personality, falls in love with the author's favorite character, and generally pisses the reader off."

Basically, it's the perfect girl you hated in school, or the reason you refuse to watch Disney Channel movies. This is the character that never seems to have anything wrong with them and is terribly beautiful.

If you want some examples, pottersues.livejournal.com is absolutely amazing. I'm kind of addicted to it, personally- but it limits itself to Sues in the Harry Potter fandom.

How do you know if your character is a Mary Sue if it's original fiction?

This my favorite Sewage test. Just click the pretty boxes and click 'submit' and you it'll give you a score and an explanation.

The test isn't exactly infallible, but it's a good measure of your Sue potential. You might be wondering- why does this make my character a Mary Sue? Why can't I have an angsty past AND a beautiful character?

Will anyone want to read my work if I don’t have these things?

Answer is: everyone.

A DISSECTION OF THE MARY SUE LITMUS TEST

NAMES: Many of these things are self-explanatory. No reader is going to want to read a story about a character's name they can't pronounce, and I have personally read eight million stories (for reals) that include characters with the names Hunter or Raven.

Additionally, naming a character after yourself is just plain weird. If you don't have a problem, there's something wrong with you. What's more, it'll hinder your ability to make an original character, because there's a lot of power invested in names. Names come with a pre-disposed feeling that you can't quite shake, no matter what you do. If you have a character with your name, they're probably going to end up a glamorous, fictitious you.

APPEARANCE: Having an incredibly beautiful character is one of the worst things you can do- especially if you describe their beauty. Why? Everyone has different views of beauty, and you lauding what someone else thinks ugly just gets to be hollow and annoying.

Additionally, incredibly beautiful people do not occur often in nature. Especially if you are writing about a character who lives in a place with a lot of racial diversity- the gene pool is wider, with trillions more possibilities for the eyes that aren't quite the right distance apart, for hair that gets frizzy when it rains.

And when you have an incredibly beautiful character to deal with, other people are going to have to deal with him or her, too. Other characters, that is- people who could potentially fall in love with them. Falling in love is one of the hardest things writers have to deal with, because everyone views this differently. Many a Sue has developed Multiple Boyfriend Syndrome, in which they angst about which boy/girl they should choose because everyone seems to like them.

You've probably been to high school. And what's more, I bet you didn't have this problem. I don't. I'm a lonesome nerd. Most people are.

Love makes people act irrationally, and your characters are probably irrational enough as it is. You don’t want added distractions.

CLICHÉ-DOM: There are oodles of cliches contained within the Litmus test. To name a few:

Genius Syndrome: The character just seems to intuitively know things and is additionally incredibly smart. Bonus points if they're lonely or angsty!

Mulan Syndrome: Member of an oppressed group (women, racial minority) makes a positive contribution to society and proves that their group can do everything just as well as white men can. Bonus points if they're raped or abused by a man or member of an opposing group!

Angst Syndrome: Your character has had a lot of literary crap thrown his way- and the best way to deal with this is to slit his wrists. Bonus points if there's attempted suicide!

Damsel in Distress Syndrome: Whew, what an awful childhood. Your character was locked away in a tower and forced to eat rats whilst being beaten and sexually abused. Bonus points if it's incest! Double bonus points if they have amnesia, and then flashback to their childhood in moments of introspection!

Superhero Syndrome: Your character is just cool. They speak Polish, Urdu, Russian, and Afrikaans, not to mention they play the flute with the best of 'em and serenade their love interest with opera music. And of course, there's the computer hacking, and the telekinesis, and all of their assorted interests. Bonus points if they're a secret agent!

Why are all of these things bad? I personally don't know anyone who fits into any of these categories. You might, but I represent a majority of the population. And just because you do doesn't mean you have to impose your view on the rest of us.

It's America, darling, Majority rules.

They key to avoiding Mary Sewage is to write for readers. This is kind of counterintuitive, because a lot of people write for themselves, but if you're writing to post on YWS, you're going to have to think about your readers. Who are they likely to be? What will they like? What will they despise?

One of the difficult things about fiction writing is that you have to have your readers care about your characters, but you can't overdo things. How does one keep a balance?

- EVERY ACTION HAS A CONSEQUENCE. The main problem with your dangerously sexy Mary Sue is that their dangerously sexy actions have repercussions, which you probably didn't bother to describe. Does your character drown their Sue Angst in alcohol? Cirrhosis is fun.

One of my most difficult Sue Tendencies to deal with is a character I've got who's incredibly beautiful. Ethereally beautiful. Problem? He's gullible, and this beauty attracts the wrong kind of attraction- Stepmother Attraction. Hoo-rah, conflict appears! I had to tweak his character, though, to avoid Sewage. If he were beautiful and smart, he wouldn't do such a thing and there wouldn't be any consequence. And when he does have a little more fun with his stepmother than he should, there's amazing, snowballing consequences that pretty much ruin his life.

- REALITY CHECK. Could this happen in real life? If not, don’t write it. There are special exceptions for fantasy, of course, and then it's up to you to figure out whether or not it counts as Sewage in your universe.

- EVERY CLOUD HAS A SILVER LINING. Everybody has had something good happen to him. If everything goes wrong, you end up with a buttmonkey. Buttmonkeys are incredibly annoying, unless you do them right. Best thing to do? Ensure that your character leads a balanced life.

___

As with most things in writing, Mary Sues are easier to avoid with another pair of eyes. Find someone knowledgeable whom you can ask if you character has too many Sue-like tendencies- if worst comes to worst, you'll be glad you did.
Graffiti is the most passionate form of literature there is.

- Demetri Martin

67 Reviews

Reviews: 67
Sun Dec 09, 2007 9:18 pm
Revere says...

Great article, Sam!

There's a lot of really helpful, well-thought out advice in this. And it's all very true! Definately a new resource for me while character drafting.

>GR
"[Maybe] If they don't light it, it can never go out."
^Mary, from Heat

>Previously known as green_river<

402 Reviews

Reviews: 402
Sun Dec 23, 2007 5:01 am
Wiggy says...

Awesomeness, Sam! Thanks for all your advice and help. Gosh, you're smart! Definitely keep that up while I continue to draft out Fineena. :)
"I will have to tell you, you have bewitched me body and soul..." --Mr. Darcy, P & P, 2005 movie
"You pierce my soul." --Cpt. Frederick Wentworth

Got YWS?

531 Reviews

Reviews: 531
Sun Dec 23, 2007 5:16 am
Caligula's Launderette says...

Huzzah, Sam! Great article about Mary Sewage.

EVERY ACTION HAS A CONSEQUENCE.

This is an excellent point to bring up, though no more excellent than the others, but I deal with this especially seeing as I think up and often write Time Travel or Alternative History; it is even a central theme to Heroine Addiction. In HA, Margo deals with the whole "Do I tell them what I know and risk changing the future or do I stay silent and let people die including myself die?" She finally realizes that every step she takes in her new existence changes the future.

Also, there is the fact that just because it seems right and proper at the time doesn't mean your actions wont affect something negatively.

:D

Kudos, dahling.

Ta,
Cal.
Fraser: Stop stealing the blanket.
[Diefenbaker whines]
Fraser: You're an Arctic Wolf, for God's sake.
(Due South)

Hatter: Do I need a reason to help a pretty girl in a very wet dress? (Alice)

Got YWS?

602 Reviews

Reviews: 602
Thu Jan 03, 2008 10:50 pm
Wolf says...

Wow, that article was amazing! You're so smart - and so hysterical.

I did the Mary-Sue test and this is what it said:
21-35 points: Borderline-Sue. Your character is cutting it close, and you may want to work on the details a bit, but you're well on your way to having a lovely original character. Good work.
Some of the questions were weird, though. So what if I keep a character journal? I do that to develop her character more...:?

One of my most difficult Sue Tendencies to deal with is a character I've got who's incredibly beautiful. Ethereally beautiful. Problem? He's gullible, and this beauty attracts the wrong kind of attraction- Stepmother Attraction. Hoo-rah, conflict appears! I had to tweak his character, though, to avoid Sewage. If he were beautiful and smart, he wouldn't do such a thing and there wouldn't be any consequence. And when he does have a little more fun with his stepmother than he should, there's amazing, snowballing consequences that pretty much ruin his life.

My main character is incredibly beautiful, too. But I've worked out a way to give her a lot of problems, too, to avoid Sewage. :P

- EVERY CLOUD HAS A SILVER LINING. Everybody has had something good happen to him. If everything goes wrong, you end up with a buttmonkey. Buttmonkeys are incredibly annoying, unless you do them right. Best thing to do? Ensure that your character leads a balanced life.

I think I have one buttmonkey in my book. >.< But the rest of the things-that-go-wrong have something to do with what she did wrong, or some mistake she made.

Anyways, great article. It really helped!

Cheers,
Camille
everything i loved
became everything i lost.

Would you like a review?
http://www.youngwriterssociety.com/topic73903.html

241 Reviews

Reviews: 241
Fri Jan 04, 2008 5:47 pm
lyrical_sunshine says...

i found another really good quiz that gives you a more in-depth answer than Sam's (I liked yours too, Sam! awesome article!)

http://www.katfeete.net/writing/marysue.html

these were my results:

Marcella is only a little like you. She is not at all cool; in fact, she thinks cool is a temperature reading, and when she says "Oh, I just put on whatever old thing's lying around," she means "on the floor, where I threw it last night - but I turned the underwear inside out first." She always knew she was special, destined for great things - and probably made sure everyone else knew it too. She's got no emotional scars to speak of. And you've been sparing with the free handouts: whatever she gains, she's worked for.

In general, you care deeply about Marcella, but you're smart enough to let her stand on her own, without burdening her with your personal fantasies or propping her up with idealization and over-dramatization. Marcella is a healthy character with a promising career ahead of her.

YAY!! i win. although i don't think she believes she's special or anything, but oh well.

for Sam's sewage-contest thing I scored a 21:
21-35 points: Borderline-Sue. Your character is cutting it close, and you may want to work on the details a bit, but you're well on your way to having a lovely original character. Good work.
“We’re still here,” he says, his voice cold, his hands shaking. “We know how to be invisible, how to play dead. But at the end of the day, we are still here.” ~Dax

Teacher: "What do we do with adjectives in Spanish?"
S: "We eat them!"

602 Reviews

Reviews: 602
Tue Jan 22, 2008 12:36 am
Wolf says...

I only realize now what a dumb thing it was to make my username here on YWS the same as my main character's name....but I swear, I'm not a Mary-Sue. Sunny's test said this for me:

Ayra is only a little like you. She isn't really very cool: she blends into crowds, she hangs out on the fringes at parties, and wearing shades after dark makes her run into things. There's never been anything special about her that she could see; boy, is she in for a surprise. She's got no emotional scars to speak of. And she's gotten no slack from you.

In general, you care deeply about Ayra, but you're smart enough to let her stand on her own, without burdening her with your personal fantasies or propping her up with idealization and over-dramatization. Ayra is a healthy character with a promising career ahead of her.
everything i loved
became everything i lost.

Would you like a review?
http://www.youngwriterssociety.com/topic73903.html

241 Reviews

Reviews: 241
Tue Jan 22, 2008 3:59 am
lyrical_sunshine says...

yeah! *hi-fives Ayra* It's ok, "Sunny" is what my character's boyfriend calls her lol, so I understand.
“We’re still here,” he says, his voice cold, his hands shaking. “We know how to be invisible, how to play dead. But at the end of the day, we are still here.” ~Dax

Teacher: "What do we do with adjectives in Spanish?"
S: "We eat them!"

816 Reviews

Reviews: 816
Thu Jan 24, 2008 12:02 am
Leja says...

There are many people whom I would encourage to eat this article in its entirety and thoroughly digest all the information in it (er, that was a compliment, I swear!). This is so incredibly thorough, I no longer have anything to say ^^

1176 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1176
Sun Mar 16, 2008 12:37 am
Twit says...

*cowers* Does it really, really hurt if I have an M/C called Raven? *cowers some more*

Well anyway, it's too late now, she's been the Raven since anything existed and I can't, won't, shan't change it. :razz:
"TV makes sense. It has logic, structure, rules, and likeable leading men. In life, we have this."

#TNT

210 Reviews

Reviews: 210
Sun Mar 16, 2008 1:39 am
Meep says...

TL G-Wooster wrote:*cowers* Does it really, really hurt if I have an M/C called Raven? *cowers some more*

Er, well, probably, yes.

TL G-Wooster wrote:Well anyway, it's too late now, she's been the Raven since anything existed and I can't, won't, shan't change it. :razz:

... and, uh, this is exactly the kind of attitude that Mary Sue authors often have. :oops: She might not be one, but just so you know.

Anyway, I am writing a paper on Mary Sues, so I've amassed a number of links on the subject, which you can see here, if you're curious.
✖ I'm sick, you're tired. Let's dance.

99 Reviews

Reviews: 99
Sun Mar 16, 2008 6:51 am
Monki says...

Interesting article(s). I've been using them actually. Thanks for writing them. They're very helpful.
Tom Riddle: "You read my diary?"
Harry Potter: "At first, I did not know it was your diary. I thought it was a very sad, handwritten book."

1176 Reviews

Supporter

Mon Mar 17, 2008 2:11 pm
Twit says...

Lol, Meep, I've done that test loads of times, and the Raven's in the black. Is it black? But seriously, she's been called that since forever, so it is really impossible to change it. Does the fact that it's not her birth name help?

That's a humungous ammount of info about Sues you've got there. :shock: I'll be sure and check them out... What's fun is when you deliberately set out to make a Sue and then you feel really smug when you're score is uber-high. I do, anyway.

And, forgot to say before, good article, Sam. :D
"TV makes sense. It has logic, structure, rules, and likeable leading men. In life, we have this."

#TNT

210 Reviews

Reviews: 210
Mon Mar 17, 2008 2:15 pm
Meep says...

TL G-Wooster wrote:That's a humungous ammount of info about Sues you've got there.

As I said (or meant to say?), I'm writing a research paper on them, so there will be more where that came from. (Oh, and if anyone finds any good articles - especially on why people write Sues, as opposed to why they shouldn't - I'd love to see 'em.)
✖ I'm sick, you're tired. Let's dance.

1176 Reviews

Supporter

Mon Mar 17, 2008 2:32 pm
Twit says...

Meepman wrote:Oh, and if anyone finds any good articles - especially on why people write Sues, as opposed to why they shouldn't - I'd love to see 'em.

How many "litmus tests" do you have? You've probably them already, but if you can get a wide variety it might help. That's all I can think of. >.<

#TNT

The secret of being tiresome is to tell everything.
— Voltaire