z

Young Writers Society

We Got a Problem... Dad?

276 Reviews

Reviews: 276
Sun Nov 05, 2017 5:29 am
rosette says...

No, I am not having problems with my dad, but I am having a major problem with my MC's father in this novel of mine.

I don't know what to call him.

I know what his name is, yes, but this novel is told in a first-person PoV, and personalized. I won't be writing in the novel "my mother sat down" or "Shasta sat down" (Shasta being the mother's name), but "Mama sat down", or "Mama" does something. I like how that works out, and I feel as if I'm even more into my character's head writing that way.

Problem is, I don't know what to do about her dad.
What do I call him?
"Papa" sounds like I'm writing fan fiction for Little House on the Prairie, and besides, many people call their grandfathers that. "Daddy" makes my MC sound like a seven-year-old, and I just plain do not like "Dad". It sounds so vague and disconnected.

I've looked up different names or titles to call your dad, what other countries say instead of "Dad", cool nicknames people use, and I've just about exhausted all my resources. Nothing is working, and frankly, it's irritating me. I just might use "Dad" because I don't know what else to do. Maybe I need to warm up to it. Or something.

If any of you have advice or tips on this I'd be extremely grateful.
This is the one character in my novel I feel as if I don't know. I'm struggling with the guy. And I think not knowing what to call him is a huge part of the problem.
On earth I long to be like Him

494 Reviews

Reviews: 494
Sun Nov 05, 2017 4:15 pm
Holysocks says...

Maybe "Pop" or "Pops"? I've known people to call their dads that. I also call my dad "papa", so I don't think it's too far fetched.
100% autistic

276 Reviews

Sun Nov 05, 2017 11:03 pm
rosette says...

@Holysocks - I did try those out! And I do think "Papa" works best with "Mama", you know. Though, generally, when I think of Pop or Pops or even Papa, I think of a very warm, kind, lovable person (I'm not sure why xD) and my man is supposed to be a more solemn and serious guy. He's a pastor, actually... : (

Reviews: 1
Mon Nov 06, 2017 12:19 am
View Likes
Leo says...

Yeah, Papa does go best with Mama. Where I come from, it's actually more common to refer to your grandparents that way than your parents, so if you're comfortable using Mama for "mother", using Papa shouldn't be a big deal for "father".

Personally, I don't think it necessarily matters what term you use. I mean, when I think of any synonym for father I get the same image of a man that is admirable, kind and loving, but strict at the same time, until I'm given an actual character image. I think you should be more focused on the character himself than his title.

And ironies are great! Like, that guy whose name means "Peace and tranquility", but he's always flipping tables and throwing vending machines. That kinda thing. But uh...maybe you could just use Father, or have her refer to him as "Sir" or something formal like that.
"You have no reason to settle for average when you are capable of phenomenal."

29 Reviews

Reviews: 29
Sat Mar 17, 2018 1:37 pm
WanderlustStardust says...

A friend of mine refers to her father as "Papá," with an accent on the a. "Papahh".

I know this thread is really dead but I wanted to bring an answer to it XD

"I'm so happy you exist"

276 Reviews

Mon Mar 19, 2018 6:23 am
rosette says...

@WanderlustStardust - Oh, no, it's fine! :D In the end, I decided to use "Papa", so it all turned out good.

Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.
— Albert Einstein