z

Young Writers Society

Fantasy Novelists Exam

111 Reviews

Reviews: 111
Sat Aug 16, 2008 1:45 am
Gladius says...

1. Does nothing happen in the first fifty pages?
No way, Jose. Everything happens. >.> Well, the start anyway--I'd say that's something.

2. Is your main character a young farmhand with mysterious parentage?
No.

3. Is your main character the heir to the throne but doesn't know it?
*cringes* Yes--but she finds out really quickly. ^^;

4. Is your story about a young character who comes of age, gains great power, and defeats the supreme badguy?
Maybe...that's not bad is it? :shifty: I mean, come one--I've got stuff to spice it up.

5. Is your story about a quest for a magical artifact that will save the world?
Only if you count the one thing that the MC needs to save her country.

6. How about one that will destroy it?
O.O Why in the world would she want to do that?

7. Does your story revolve around an ancient prophecy about "The One" who will save the world and everybody and all the forces of good?
No prophecy, but she does save her country at least. *shrug*

8. Does your novel contain a character whose sole purpose is to show up at random plot points and dispense information?
No. That's worthless.

9. Does your novel contain a character that is really a god in disguise?
No, but there's this one story I'm writing...oops, sorry. Got distracted. What was that now?

10. Is the evil supreme badguy secretly the father of your main character?
Ew. NO.

11. Is the king of your world a kindly king duped by an evil magician?
The King's kindly, but not stupid. So no.

12. Does "a forgetful wizard" describe any of the characters in your novel?
Wizard, yes. Forgetful, no.

13. How about "a powerful but slow and kind-hearted warrior"?
That's so mean! *glares* But no.

14. How about "a wise, mystical sage who refuses to give away plot details for his own personal, mysterious reasons"?
Wise, mystical sage--maybe. Refuses to give away plot details for his own persona, mysterious reasons--no.

15. Do the female characters in your novel spend a lot of time worrying about how they look, especially when the male main character is around?
No. She couldn't care if she was covered in mud and blood and guts unless she had to walk over her own floor. Then she'd wash off first. But around guys? She's like 'Who cares? They're just as dirty anyway.'

16. Do any of your female characters exist solely to be captured and rescued?
No! Though the MC's mother's adoptive mother--but that's another story. :P

17. Do any of your female characters exist solely to embody feminist ideals?
No. Do I sound like I care about that?

18. Would "a clumsy cooking wench more comfortable with a frying pan than a sword" aptly describe any of your female characters?
If I ever mentioned someone like that, she would be a cook in the first place.

19. Would "a fearless warrioress more comfortable with a sword than a frying pan" aptly describe any of your female characters?
Maybe. I'd have to think about that one for a while. Off the top of my head, then probably no.

20. Is any character in your novel best described as "a dour dwarf"?
No dwarves, unfortunately.

21. How about "a half-elf torn between his human and elven heritage"?
Half-elves, but not a 'he' and not torn between two heritages.

22. Did you make the elves and the dwarves great friends, just to be different?
No dwarves, so the answer would have to be no.

23. Does everybody under four feet tall exist solely for comic relief?
If you don't count children (of which there aren't many), no.

24. Do you think that the only two uses for ships are fishing and piracy?
No! There's transport, trade, leisure...umm, I think that's it...

25. Do you not know when the hay baler was invented?
Sadly, no. So sue me. What does a hay baler have to do with fantasy, anyway? This is a fantasy quiz, for heaven's sake, not an ag test!

26. Did you draw a map for your novel which includes places named things like "The Blasted Lands" or "The Forest of Fear" or "The Desert of Desolation" or absolutely anything "of Doom"?
Drew a map?--yes. Named things 'The Blasted Lands'?--no. Unless you count the Untamed Territories, which are actually technically Southern [name of continent]

27. Does your novel contain a prologue that is impossible to understand until you've read the entire book, if even then?
Prologue? Yes. Not understandable 'til the end? No. It's explained quite soon in the story, so, no.

28. Is this the first book in a planned trilogy?
No. Close though. It's the second. :D

29. How about a quintet or a decalogue?
What the--? O.o I have only the faintest clue what those are. So the answer would be 'no'.

30. Is your novel thicker than a New York City phone book?
Heck no! It's not even printed yet--draft or final. T_T

31. Did absolutely nothing happen in the previous book you wrote, yet you figure you're still many sequels away from finishing your "story"?
Unless you count the first destruction of an ambitious magician and the introduction of the MC of this story's mother, no absolutely nothing didn't happen and no I'm not many sequels away from finishing the story. *glares at mocking use of ""s*

32. Are you writing prequels to your as-yet-unfinished series of books?
If you call 'prequels' individual novels detailing the continent's prior history, then yes and so sue me. If not, no and be glad I'm not going to rip your head off. :mean:

33. Is your name Robert Jordan and you lied like a dog to get this far?
I'm a girl, thank you! And no I'm not lying like a dog! *disgusted*

34. Is your novel based on the adventures of your role-playing group?
Don't role-play much. Only just starting one role play, and it's nothing like this story.

35. Does your novel contain characters transported from the real world to a fantasy realm?
So sue me yes. I like that idea. T_T

36. Do any of your main characters have apostrophes or dashes in their names?
Ummm, not that I can think of.

37. Do any of your main characters have names longer than three syllables?
I'm not going through every single character's name to figure that out! How about just 'no' for now and get your nose out of my story. I can name my characters whatever the heck I want, they'll generally be shortened to something less in the actual narration anyway. *glares resentfully*

38. Do you see nothing wrong with having two characters from the same small isolated village being named "Tim Umber" and "Belthusalanthalus al'Grinsok"?
I do! Depends on the characters and the circumstances, though, if it's OK or not. :P

39. Does your novel contain orcs, elves, dwarves, or halflings?
Orcs, yes; Elves yes; dwarves, no; halflings? Depends on your definition of 'halfling', I suppose. But no.

40. How about "orken" or "dwerrows"?
No. Don't even have a clue what they are, unless they're a cross between elves/orcs or dwarves/arrows?!?!

41. Do you have a race prefixed by "half-"?
Not as an established race. As adjectives, maybe, but not an actual race.

42. At any point in your novel, do the main characters take a shortcut through ancient dwarven mines?
No. Don't really come across mines, and there're no dwarves anyway.

43. Do you write your battle scenes by playing them out in your favorite RPG?
Don't roleplay.

44. Have you done up game statistics for all of your main characters in your favorite RPG?
For the last time, I don't really RP so there.

45. Are you writing a work-for-hire for Wizards of the Coast?
What the heck?!

46. Do inns in your book exist solely so your main characters can have brawls?
No. They're safe places for eating and sleeping, and having a safe place for your horse to eat and sleep.

47. Do you think you know how feudalism worked but really don't?
Dude, everyone learns how feudalism works in their history class! That's such a stupid question--what the heck's it doing here? Pft, come on idiot. Besides, I don't really employ feudalism anyway...

48. Do your characters spend an inordinate amount of time journeying from place to place?
No more than necessary for the story. I really only do overviews of travel, anyway, unless it pushes the plot forward--otherwise it's so boring.

49. Could one of your main characters tell the other characters something that would really help them in their quest but refuses to do so just so it won't break the plot?
Uh, not that I can think of.

50. Do any of the magic users in your novel cast spells easily identifiable as "fireball" or "lightning bolt"?
So sue me! I'm still working on the properties of magic, and that's the easiest way to describe them, okay?!?!?

51. Do you ever use the term "mana" in your novel?
Ew, no. That's for VGs

52. Do you ever use the term "plate mail" in your novel?
I believe 'plate [armor]' and '[chain] mail' are two completely different things? So, no?

53. Heaven help you, do you ever use the term "hit points" in your novel?
*snorts* Dude, I don't even use the full term for HP while I'm gaming

54. Do you not realize how much gold actually weighs?
Have an idea of it. Besides, my character doesn't carry high amounts of such valuable stuff just anywhere, let alone everyday. It's watered-down gold anyway--you know, that whole representative-of-the-state-of-the-treasury thing for dough in the US?

55. Do you think horses can gallop all day long without rest?
Dude you have no idea how into horses I am. The first thing you learn is it's not possible to gallop even for twenty minutes without practically killing the horse, no matter what terrain you're travelling! So NO!

56. Does anybody in your novel fight for two hours straight in full plate armor, then ride a horse for four hours, then delicately make love to a willing barmaid all in the same day?
1) They don't fight for two hours straight more than two or three times in full armor (ditch full armor--too clanky, heavy, and just ew); 2) sure they'll ride a horse for four hours, but not in conjunction with the above; 3) that last proposition just gets a big fat nasty EEEEWW!! thank you. I don't do that. *cuts hand across throat*

57. Does your main character have a magic axe, hammer, spear, or other weapon that returns to him when he throws it?
Magic sword, yes. Does it return if she throws it? No. Come on, there's that whole thing about gravity you know, even if there is magic in this world. *snorts*

58. Does anybody in your novel ever stab anybody with a scimitar?
Maybe. I know they stab someone, and a scimitar is a pretty common weapon used by desert peoples, and my MC goes through part of a desert at one point, but...Your point?

59. Does anybody in your novel stab anybody straight through plate armor?
Heck no! The only person (of note) anyone actually stabs where there would be plate armor is wearing robes and leather at the time.

60. Do you think swords weigh ten pounds or more? [info]
Uh, no! If they weighed that much, no one would be able to do anything with them. It would have been sooo impractical when they were actually in use! They really weigh only about 3-4 pounds, 8 at the max (and that was like the biggest widest longest ones)

61. Does your hero fall in love with an unattainable woman, whom he later attains?
First of all my MC is a heroine, not a hero thank you very much. Secondly, she kinda-sorta falls in love but the boy isn't exactly unattainable because they both like each other and it's a free world and she's the princess so who can say 'no' to them?

62. Does a large portion of the humor in your novel consist of puns?
Maybe occasionally. Depends on the defenition of 'pun'. If you mean 'joke', sure what the heck.

63. Is your hero able to withstand multiple blows from the fantasy equivalent of a ten pound sledge but is still threatened by a small woman with a dagger?
No. She'd just laugh off the woman with a dagger. As for the ten pound sledge hammer, that's what agility and speed are for.

64. Do you really think it frequently takes more than one arrow in the chest to kill a man?
No. Shoot 'em in the right spot and they'll either bleed to death pretty quickly or get a vital nerve chain terminated and die on the spot. That or they'll at least be immobilized so someone can kill them with a close-combat weapon later.

65. Do you not realize it takes hours to make a good stew, making it a poor choice for an "on the road" meal?
This I realize. They don't eat stew anyway they have road rations like biscuit hardtack and water/ale/mead or some such thing. As well as little fruit pastries for shorter trips...but I digress.

66. Do you have nomadic barbarians living on the tundra and consuming barrels and barrels of mead?
Nomads yes; nomadic barbarians no. In the tundra, no. My tundra is very very dangerous. So that leaves out the whole barrels and barrels of mead thing, which they wouldn't do anyway because my nomads don't have any honey within very close reach. They've got more beetles and scorpions and other bad insects and stuff.

67. Do you think that "mead" is just a fancy name for "beer"?
Nope. A honeyed drink, but I can't remember what else is in it. I think it's just water and honey, right...?

68. Does your story involve a number of different races, each of which has exactly one country, one ruler, and one religion?
Well, let's see. [spoiler]Humans, 4-6 countries, one with 2 monarchs (King/Queen); two with councils; one with a tribal leader; and another with a kind of bicameral house-ish thing. Elves, 1 country, 2 monarchs (same as above). Dragons, 2 countries, each with a bunch of separate Roosts with their own group leaders who meet with the other leaders to decide on stuff. Gryphon, practically same as dragons. Unicorns, one herd in one territory with a few stallion/head mare leaders. Orcs, the usual rabble headed by a traitorous evil dragon. They're all pretty much united in their religion, minus the Orcs and the Gryphons, so that's another no I believe.[/spoiler] So many races, yes. One country/ruler/religion, no.

69. Is the best organized and most numerous group of people in your world the thieves' guild?
Of course not. Though there is a thieves' guild, but it's not talked about in this story.

70. Does your main villain punish insignificant mistakes with death?
No. That's just stupid, and he's not stupid. He might make them regret the mistake, but not badly if it's just a tiny mistake that's not detrimental to his plan.

71. Is your story about a crack team of warriors that take along a bard who is useless in a fight, though he plays a mean lute?
No bard, unfortunately. I could use one about now. *turns on music player*

72. Is "common" the official language of your world?
It's the only language, practically.

73. Is the countryside in your novel littered with tombs and gravesites filled with ancient magical loot that nobody thought to steal centuries before?
No. Tombs and gravesites are generally kept neatly in their own little areas outside the towns or in mounds near the edges of battlefields.

74. Is your book basically a rip-off of The Lord of the Rings?
I don't believe it to be. That question is a matter of opinion, sir, but I'm going to answer no anyway.

75. Read that question again and answer truthfully.
*reads* No. So there--same as above. :mean:
When Heroes fall and the Sacred Blade is captured, can Evil be stopped?~The Wings of Darkness

I'm also ZeldaMoogle on Fanfiction.net!

"Funny is a formula for which there are a million variables, and it is impossible to backtrack unless, possibly, you make a living out of it."~Rosey Unicorn

80 Reviews

Reviews: 80
Sat Aug 16, 2008 1:51 am
Jay says...

That was pretty funny (and useful!)-I answered 'yes' to five of them. I've got a god in disguise, who is also the 'wise and mysterious mentor' character. I've also planned its sequels. And two characters have 4-syllable names. (one goes by a one-syllable nickname though). And the plot revolves around a journey.

Now I'm thinking about writing a cliche parody story.

Thanks for posting this, Phorcys!

Random avatar

Reviews: 56
Sat Aug 16, 2008 2:32 pm
thunder_dude7 says...

6. How about one that will destroy it?

Oh, darn it. But their trying to STOP it from destroying the world...never mind.

25. Do you not know when the hay baler was invented?

Wait...what? What's a hay baler?

37. Do any of your main characters have names longer than three syllables?

Curse you, Elizabeth.

74. Is your book basically a rip-off of The Lord of the Rings?

Oh, dang it...

Pain is filtered in a poem so that it becomes finally, in the end, pleasure.
— Mark Strand