z

Young Writers Society

How many drafts do you do?

Random avatar

Reviews: 32
Tue Mar 11, 2008 5:18 am
J. Wilder says...

I edit A LOT as I go. I reread my own writing constantly. I never write short stories or poetry, only novels, and I don't write that often anymore, so I haven't finished even a first draft in years. Therefore I don't really know how many drafts I would go through. In the past I've usually realized how crappy whatever I wrote was so I don't bother to redo it because it's probably beyond repair. For the last thing I wrote I started a second draft, but then I must have deleted it or something. (I go on deleting sprees. If I had every piece of writing I'd ever started there would probably be hundreds of documents, but as it is there are, I think, four.)

Within the past year or so I started a second draft for what is currently my main project, despite the fact that I hadn't actually finished the first one (it was long enough; it's an upper middle grade novel and it was 186 pages, but probably only about two thirds done). I just realized there were a bunch of additions and such that I wanted to make and I might as well start the second draft now.

I remember in school sometimes they'd make us do second drafts for essays and such, and there was never anything I wanted to change. Eventually I started purposely inserting grammatical or spelling errors in the first drafts in order to have something to change.

438 Reviews

Reviews: 438
Mon Mar 17, 2008 11:49 pm
JFW1415 says...

Too many. :P

~JFW1415

96 Reviews

Reviews: 96
Tue Mar 18, 2008 4:51 pm
flytodreams says...

I've never finished one complete draft, I keep rewriting *cough*DELETING**cough* chapters. :lol:
Be yourself; everybody else is already taken.

I came, I saw, I conquered.

When you're being nice to your character, you're being bad to your book.

370 Reviews

Reviews: 370
Tue Mar 18, 2008 4:52 pm
Aedomir says...

Well, I am on my first 'whole' draft, but I have rewritten chpter one five times and I am still not happy. I decided to just move on and rewrite it in the second draft. I may do two or three, most likely two.
We are all Sociopaths: The Prologue

Sociopath: So • ci • o • path noun
1. Someone who believes their behaviour is right.
2. Human.

Too bad all the people who know how to run this country are busy running taxicabs or cutting hair.
— George Burns