z

Young Writers Society

How would you pronounce this name?

6 Reviews

Reviews: 6
Wed Jul 07, 2010 7:37 am
goodenough says...

I think I'd probably pronounce it neither of the ways you explained. I'd probably try to pronounce it like 'muh-len', as if it were spelled Mullenne, or something odd like that.

Part of the reason is that, like I tell people all the time, I'm a weirdo..

..but then when I try to come up with a good excuse, I'd tell you a really boring, self-centered story about myself. But since I can talk faster than I can type, I'll just shorten it.

My full first name is 'Emily', which usually I pronounce 'Eh-mill-ee'. Sometimes people say 'Eh-muh-lee'.

So yeah, sorry for straying from my original topic.

I would choose NEITHER.

-Eme

878 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 878
Thu Jul 08, 2010 8:40 pm
Demeter says...

My (rhymes with sky) - len (something like "lynn").
"Your jokes are scarier than your earrings." -Twit

"14. Pretend like you would want him even if he wasn't a prince. (Yeah, right.)" -How to Make a Guy Like You - Disney Princess Style

Got YWS?

315 Reviews

Reviews: 315
Fri Jul 09, 2010 12:51 am
Navita says...

Erm. Are you sure you want to have a name in the book that can be pronounced in a variety of ways? Would it not be easier to stick to something that looks...exotic...but is still able to be pronounced right by no matter who?

438 Reviews

Reviews: 438
Fri Jul 09, 2010 6:45 am
JFW1415 says...

JabberHut wrote:I pronounce it as my-len since there's only one L. xD Yay, confusion.

Ditto. I'm pretty sure that's how you're technically supposed to pronounce words with one l like that... like, take off the "n" and it'd be Mile, while has a hard i because of the e, so adding and n doesn't really change that?

Either way, if it's that important for us to pronounce it right, change the name or give an explanation somewhere. In all honesty, I rarely read names. In my mind, characters are M, N, F, etc. Though that's usually for more obscure names... for this, probably, but something like Nick I say in my head. Two syllables is too confusing when I read that fast, haha.

~JFW1415

12 Reviews

Reviews: 12
Fri Jul 16, 2010 12:22 am
Kibble says...

Logically, I'd say "Myl-enn" (with a hard "i"), but my first impression was "Mill-enn".
"You are altogether a human being, Jane? You are certain of that?"
"I conscientiously believe so, Mr Rochester."
~ Jane Eyre

94 Reviews

Reviews: 94
Fri Jul 16, 2010 6:26 pm
Eliza:) says...

It looks like my-len to me.
There is nothing to writing. All you do is sit down at a typewriter and bleed.
-Ernest Hemingway

5 Reviews

Reviews: 5
Fri Jul 16, 2010 6:31 pm
Leilani says...

Milan. Mei-Len. My-Len. or Mee-Lin >>
Happiness is a perfume you can not pour on others without getting a few drops on yourself <3

People with writer's blocks should get together and build a castle.
— Love