and tears fall once more.
she now has a constant reminder
of what she had lost.
the red words drip down
and mix with the tears.
she falls silently
saying your name to herself.
and her last words were i love you .
Last edited by checkers;, on Mon Jan 22, 2007 3:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

701 Reviews

Reviews: 701
Sun Jan 21, 2007 9:15 pm
bubblewrapped says...

You're new, so I'll give you some advice: as a poetry topic, suicide sucks. It's been done 20 million times and generally is considered very amateurish and...well, cliche. And if you hang around YWS long enough you'll soon learn that "cliche" is a dirty word, lol. I'm not trying to be mean, but basically, if you cant bring something new to the table, dont touch it.

That being said, I do appreciate the style of this piece; your angle is interesting, and although the topic is not unique, you avoid hackneyed phrases and descriptions (for the most part). And I worship you for not using rhyme, LMAO. Subject matter aside, there are a few things I'd recommend working on:

1. Punctuation. Commas arent necessary at the end of every line. Read it out loud, get the sense of it, punctuate where necessary and perhaps use a few full stops!

2. Rhythm and sentence structure. These go together for obvious reasons; your sentences affect the rhythm. A lot of the time you repeat the same structure for each line and it makes the poem dull and lifeless. Liven it up and play with your sentences a bit more!

That's about it, I guess. I cant say I liked it, and I cant say it was exactly original, but some of your lines show flair which bodes well for the future.

Hope to see you around :)

Cheers,
~bubbles

PS: Welcome to YWS!
Got a poem or short story you want me to critique?

There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way, and not to give others absurd maddening claims upon it. (C D Morley)

2058 Reviews

Reviews: 2058
Sun Jan 21, 2007 10:27 pm
Emerson says...

I follow in Bubbles foot steps, it was cliche, but it wasn't as bad as it could be.

I'll drop the link that I constantly do on punctuation. You actually used punctuation! I'm glad, but as Bubbles said, it isn't all commas... maybe the article will help? Poetry & Punctuatin

And, again to second bubbles, giving it rhythm wouldn't hurt either, but beginners tend to get confused with what rhythm is. That just means, create a pattern through the number of syllables used in each line.

If you have any questions/need some help, feel free to PM me.
β€œIt's necessary to have wished for death in order to know how good it is to live.”
― Alexandre Dumas, The Count of Monte Cristo

Random avatar

Reviews: 3
Mon Jan 22, 2007 3:11 pm
checkers;, says...

I took the advice on punctuation.
I don't think it helped much though.

When I put the next one on I will make sure to check these things too.

Random avatar

Reviews: 6
Sat Feb 10, 2007 11:29 pm
MariaCee says...

I also consider is cliche, but it's pretty good nonetheless. You're aware of the feeling, which is a key point.

Overall, pretty good. Keep it up.

Worry does not empty tomorrow of its sorrow, it empties today of its strength.
— Corrie Ten Boom