z

Young Writers Society

Yup... I'm new.

Reviews: 0
Fri Jul 03, 2009 4:49 pm
Owlfeather says...

It's really awesome that there's a community for writers who are around my age! I'm so happy... *sniff*

Aaanyway... I love reading stuff of pretty much any genre, but I have to say that my favorites are animal stories. From Rudyard Kipling's classics to the much more recent Redwall series, I'm enthralled by it all. (In fact, if you have any animal story recommendations, please tell me!) Contrary to popular belief, animal tales are not just for kids; they can be surprisingly deep, and they often contain tough human truths difficult even for older readers to stomach. (Orwell's Animal Farm, anyone?)

I like writing animal stories, too; in ways it's more challenging than writing about humans. But I do sometimes write about people. It pretty much depends on what I feel like at the time.

So... hey, everyone! 8)

Random avatar

Reviews: 15
Fri Jul 03, 2009 5:05 pm
Horserider says...

Hi welcome to YWS! I've always enjoyed animal stories as well, though I'm more horse story oriented. One of my favorite series is Warriors, a series of books that are told about 'Clans' of wild cats. They're very interesting stories, but I haven't read them all. Written by Erin Hunter (who recently started another series called Seekers. I believe those are about polar bears... but I haven't read them yet.) Read Animal Farm a couple years ago for school and loved it. It's a great story.

14 Reviews

Reviews: 14
Fri Jul 03, 2009 5:23 pm
Roo 2 says...

Hi, I'm Roo!

That's a really interesting take on animal-related stories, Owlfeather, and I've never really thought about it that way. I usually don't pick up animal novels - it's not that I don't like them - it's just my experience has limited me to Where the Red Fern Grows (which I was obsessed with back then), the Animorphs series, Sounder, Foot Print Meadow, and Cattails. So... maybe you'll have to point me in the right direction animal-book-wise, huh? :)

You'll probably be receiving a visit from either a purple or a blue (or both!) very soon, explaining the rules and doing their jobs. The colors (on your name) mean different things. I'm still a lowly black - aka no prestigious job to boast of ;). Blues are Greeters, and they're sure friendly. They love newbies like yourself, and helping with all of your site related questions. Purples are the all-knowing Instructors, and they'll help you with your story, critiquing in-depth and giving you writing advice. Then there are the ones to watch out for (bwahhahahaha): greens are Junior Moderators and reds are Moderators. They'll keep you in line! ;)

If you have any questions, or just need a friend, PM me because I'm dying to get new friends! I'd love to hear from you when you start posting your writing online, so PM then also, and I'll come running to read & review!
If all the world is but a dream---fantastic posing greed---then we should feed our jewelry to the sea. For diamonds do appear to be just like broken glass to me.

---
Roo loves yoo. <3

Fri Jul 03, 2009 5:34 pm
Owlfeather says...

OOOOH! I LOVE Warriors! I've only read up through Long Shadows, though. Seekers is... okay I guess, but it doesn't have the same addictive quality.

Here are a few other animal books I like:

Guardians of Ga'Hoole series by Kathryn Lasky (about owls)
Silverwing series by Kenneth Oppel (about bats)
Swordbird series by Nancy Yi Fan (about... um... birds. The writing style is a bit childish in the first book since the author was so young when she wrote it, but it's an interesting tale nonetheless. The prequel book, Sword Quest, is considerably better.)
Raven Quest by Sharon Stewart (about ravens and wolves)
Fire Bringer by David Clement-Davies (You'd probably like this one, Horserider. It's about deer, which are close to horses, right?)

I highly recommend all of those. I'll add more later if I can think of any.

317 Reviews

Reviews: 317
Fri Jul 03, 2009 6:30 pm
mizz-iceberg says...

Hello!

I'm not much of an animal person, though I have read Animal Farm, and found it immensely satisfying. But, I think you have convinced me to start reading more animal stories. I would definitely like to check out your animal stories. Your stories will be a change from what is normally posted on YWS.

I have tried reading Raven Quest, but found the beginning too slow and couldn't follow with it, and never really got around to finishing it.

Anyways, welcome to YWS! It is indeed wonderful to have a community of young people who all share a common passion for writing. :)

Our Help and Support Section contains a concise guide about the website. Please have a look at it.

If you need any help or have any question, don't hesitate to PM me. I hope to see you around the site.

-Zehra
I'm a godmother, that's a great thing to be, a godmother. She calls me god for short, that's cute, I taught her that.
--Ellen DeGeneres

263 Reviews

Reviews: 263
Fri Jul 03, 2009 9:24 pm
Angels-Symphony says...

Owlfeather wrote:It's really awesome that there's a community for writers who are around my age! I'm so happy... *sniff*

*pats Owl* There, there. This place is magical :D It's like a haven for young writers!

Welcome to YWS! I'm Shina, one of the instructor-greeters around here *pokes purple title*
It is my job and my pleasure to greet the newbs of YWS.

Oh no! It looks like no one has told you the rules around here *gasps* D:

No fear! Shina is here :P

u]Never[/u] do the following:

USE CAPS!

Uze chtspek gurlfraaaaan.

Post two pieces of work for every one review.

Insult people and use mean words like a toilet-mouth.

And now, I'll introduce you to the members with the help of smilies ^^

:pirate1: <--- this is Teague, Queen of the Cacti!

:smt035 <--- This is Jared (bigbadbear), but it should be violin.

:twisted: <--- It's Snoink! The leader of the completely evil plan!

:smt027 <--- This is Hawkie, she's a super Avatar fan!

:smt029 <--- This is Nate. He rules YWS.

:smt032 <--- This is Mars, she's outta this world.

:smt020 <---- Meet Music (Musicaloo7311)

:smt013 <--- People from TW sound like this

:smt051 <--- It's Nutty-Senpai! She can fly!

:pirate2: <--- Samuel Garrison, but lest pirate-y and more colonial.

:smt059 <---- Hey look! It's me! Angel's Symphony xD (Shina)

:elephant: <--- This is the dancing elephant. He is often used.

:smt068 <--- It's Gal (galerius)! The ten-year old girl on YWS who's going to be 11 soon!

:smt061 <--- Stella Thomas! She's just like Dorothy *nods*

:smt075 <---- this is what happens when the mods catch you with caps, and by "you", I mean everyone with a title below green.

:smt100 <--- Most newbs look like this.

:smt113 <-- This was June (springrain) on June 29th.
But usually she's working overtime like this ---> :smt024 She tries (and usually succeeds) in making sure everything is reviewed.

:smt050 <---- Meet Rosey, she's the one who owns the color pink on this site and who comes up whenever unicorns are being spoken about.

:smt079 <--- Meet Evi (should have pink hair), one of the younger YWS members like me who seem all nice and friendly...until she reviews you.

:smt117 <---- This is Jabbs (jabberhut), just imagine this smilie without the smile guy and the chicken, and you've got a hut!

:smt034 <---- Meet Lin. She does the the YWS news.

:smt106 <---- This is Demi (demeter), she's Simba!

:smt064 <--- This is Pork (prokaryote). He's umm... The smilie says it all :P

:smt062 <---- What usually happens during the Purps Vs. Blue wars

:smt022 <--- People before YWS

:smt017 <---- When the new members first get online

:smt006 <---- And then the greeters come and say "hi" to them.

:smt055 :smt040 :smt007 <---- The new members once they get the hang of things

:smt074 <---- And then the instructors come in and shred their work....

:smt089 <---- they end up, like this.

:smt044 <--- And after they realize how much better their work is, like this.

:smt045 Mhmmm, and that's the summary of YWS in smilies.

Any questions? Or are you good to go :smt023 ?
You cannot dream yourself into a character; you must hammer and forge yourself into one.

The writer, when he is also an artist, is someone who admits what others don't dare reveal.

Sat Jul 04, 2009 5:01 am
Owlfeather says...

Thanks a bunch, it's nice to meet you guys! And Shina, that was a very... amusing smiley intro, to say the least. Heheh. (Note to self: Curb enthusiasm, do not type in all caps! I don't ever do chatspeak, though, so that won't be a problem. :wink:)

Maybe we're all just complex human beings with skewed perceptions of each other.
— Ventomology