z

Young Writers Society

Reach out and touch... some Newbie's hand...

17 Reviews

Reviews: 17
Wed Jul 01, 2009 3:36 am
Dradian Far Runes says...

HIYA!!! *sproing*! :smt031
I'm a mysterious, enigmatic sort of person, with a love of all things wierd, bizzare, mystical, ancient, and mind-boggling. I like roleplaying and adventure puzzle games, fantasy novels, suspense movies, stuff like that. I'm obsessed with clockwork.
Anyone else here have similiar tastes? Or anyone interested in meeting someone like me?

As for my story... its going to be a unique fantasy/horror novel set in three worlds... about a quiet, conflicted, brave, self-sacrificing, forgiving, complex, out-of-the-ordinary sort of artist/thinker/writer person called Jadec who is whisked away to a land beyond imagination. But his time there takes a turn for the worse; following and hunting him is the mysterious villain, Satic, a demon-possesed man in a clockwork mask...
Jadec must escape this man or confront him along with the mystereries sorrounding him...
What will happen?

Well, I will be posting excerpts of this story, I hope you peeps will like it. I will need a lot of help in making it better, so any suggestions or critique will be immensely helpful.

Sincerely,
M.E.
They say the eyes
Are windows to the soul
I say the earth
The sky
The moon
The very breath upon my lips
All of these
Are windows
To you

Random avatar

Reviews: 23
Wed Jul 01, 2009 6:39 am
Babanuuk says...

Hey there, Dradian.

I would welcome you, but I'm totally clueless myself. :wink:

I will definitely check in on that story of yours though!
:)
Your beliefs define your character... I believe in LOVE.

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Wed Jul 01, 2009 6:42 am
Snoink says...

Oooh! By clockwork maze, do you mean he's trapped in a maze that is a clock or do you mean that he's in a ticking time bomb or something like that?

*nosy*

Also! Welcome to YWS! :D
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

115 Reviews

Reviews: 115
Wed Jul 01, 2009 6:03 pm
mhmmcolleenx0 says...

Hey, welcome to YWS. You sound like an interesting person, and your novel sounds interesting, too. Well, here are three main rules you'll have to remember:

1. The 2:1 ratio. Basically, it means that you have to review twice before posting your own work. People are more willing to review your work if you review theirs.

2. Rate your work. If your work has the f-word, or graphic scenes, rate it 'R'. If it's not rated R, it will appear on the homepage.

3. Pls dnt tlk lik dis. Limit chat-speak. This is a writing website, use proper spelling and grammar.

So, yeah. Welcome to YWS, again. And if you have questions, PM me.
"Can't stop, won't stop. I must be dreaming."

675 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 675
Wed Jul 01, 2009 8:35 pm
lilymoore says...

Snoink dear, he said clock work mask, not maze.

*reaches out and pokes the newb* Why hello there DFR! (Your username is long, give me a break.)

mhmm got the basic rules but there are a few others too keep in mind.

Respect all other members on the site. Its okay to have discussions, but fighting is frowned upon.
You know what it feels like to be a new member, but there will always be newbies after you. So be nice to them and patient with them too.
Being active is always appreciated. We get so many members who regester, post once in the Literature forum without making a single review even, then they disappear for good.
And just in general, be helpful.

Any questions, just give me a PM.
Never forget who you are, for surely the world will not. Make it your strength. Then it can never be your weakness. Armor yourself in it, and it will never be used to hurt you.

1125 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1125
Wed Jul 01, 2009 9:21 pm
StellaThomas says...

Hey Dradian! Welcome to YWS! You can call me Stella...

Okay, just a few things people didn't say, don't talk in ALL CAPS. It looks like you're shouting at us, and why would you want to shout at us?

Now, you can probably see some people have colouredy names, and there's a system to this.

Red- Admins- YWS kings and queens. Nate is the emperor. Be in awe of them.

Dark green- Moderators- the Mods are the ones who make things go. They'll be watching you- they're not called Big Brother for nothing... also, if you want to lock a topic or anything, they're the ones to go to!

Light green- Junior Mods- a bit like Mods, but the JMods have their power limited to one area.

Purple- Instructors- these are people who will take time to help you improve your writing through critiques and the writing tips forums, and will be glad to help you in any way they can.

Blue- Greeters- they're the ones who will greet you when you're new!

If you're lost, why not take a look at the Buddy System in the Welcome Forum and see about getting a mentor for a month who will guide you through the site and help you get on your feet!

Anyway, your story looks really interesting, and you're in the right place for help!

Hope to see you around,

Stella!
"Stella. You were in my dream the other night. And everyone called you Princess." -Lauren2010

17 Reviews

Thu Jul 02, 2009 3:11 am

Babanuuk wrote:Hey there, Dradian.

I would welcome you, but I'm totally clueless myself. :wink:

I will definitely check in on that story of yours though!
:)

:smt003:smt080Hi!:smt006:smt020
Thanks for the greeting.... its nice to meet you. :smt003
I will be checking on whatever you post too... as for me, I just posted this:
topic50200.html
Its an introduction to the beautifully surreal book my story will take place in...
Enjoy!

-M.E.
They say the eyes
Are windows to the soul
I say the earth
The sky
The moon
All of these
Are windows
To you

425 Reviews

Reviews: 425
Thu Jul 02, 2009 3:24 am
Nate says...

Haha, I like the title of your welcome thread.

Welcome to the site! We're about to get a huge upgrade, so don't get too used to the current layout :)

1464 Reviews

Reviews: 1464
Thu Jul 02, 2009 3:44 am
Juniper says...

Hi Dradian!

I'm June, welcome to YWS! Stella and Colleen have pointed out some important things for you to pay attention to, so I'll just ramble about some stuff instead!

A lot of people ask about the purpose of points. Basically, it's for motivation; you need points to post a story, and the more you have, the greater your chance at a shot for Member of the Month -- that is, depending on if you've been helpful in the literature forums. It costs about 150 points to post a piece, but depending on the length of it, you'll get up to 50 points back, so, most of the time you only lose about 100 points for posting. Points are reset every month to 300. This is so that a whole new cycle of point-earning begins again.

The more reviews you do, the higher your review count. The higher your review count, the greater number of stars! Basically, up to 250 reviews grants you gold stars. You gain these gradually-- I believe first it's 25 reviews for one star, 50 for the next, 100 for the next, and 150 for the next, and so on. After gold stars, you progress to blue stars, and then red.

Anyway! Hope I didn't confuse you? :P A clearer explanation can be found here.

So! I'm not much of a fantasy fan myself, but I know a lot of people here are. I do like sci-fi, though and horror stories, so your story does sound pretty interesting! :D

Hope to see you around!

June
"I'd steal somebody's purse if I could google it and then download it." -- Firestarter

17 Reviews

Thu Jul 02, 2009 4:17 am

Stella Thomas wrote:Hey Dradian! Welcome to YWS! You can call me Stella...

Okay, just a few things people didn't say, don't talk in ALL CAPS. It looks like you're shouting at us, and why would you want to shout at us?

Now, you can probably see some people have colouredy names, and there's a system to this.

Red- Admins- YWS kings and queens. Nate is the emperor. Be in awe of them.

Dark green- Moderators- the Mods are the ones who make things go. They'll be watching you- they're not called Big Brother for nothing... also, if you want to lock a topic or anything, they're the ones to go to!

Light green- Junior Mods- a bit like Mods, but the JMods have their power limited to one area.

Purple- Instructors- these are people who will take time to help you improve your writing through critiques and the writing tips forums, and will be glad to help you in any way they can.

Blue- Greeters- they're the ones who will greet you when you're new!

If you're lost, why not take a look at the Buddy System in the Welcome Forum and see about getting a mentor for a month who will guide you through the site and help you get on your feet!

Anyway, your story looks really interesting, and you're in the right place for help!

Hope to see you around,

Stella!

Hello and thank for the reply; it's brightened up my day like a firecracker! :mrgreen:
These are some great tips, the color thing especially. You'v explained a lot for me. I will be sure not to use caps. :wink:
I'm also glad my story sounds interesting; I'v posted some of it here topic50200.html if you want to check it out.

Sincerely.
M.E.
They say the eyes
Are windows to the soul
I say the earth
The sky
The moon
All of these
Are windows
To you

17 Reviews

Thu Jul 02, 2009 4:41 am

springrain wrote:Hi Dradian!

I'm June, welcome to YWS! Stella and Colleen have pointed out some important things for you to pay attention to, so I'll just ramble about some stuff instead!

A lot of people ask about the purpose of points. Basically, it's for motivation; you need points to post a story, and the more you have, the greater your chance at a shot for Member of the Month -- that is, depending on if you've been helpful in the literature forums. It costs about 150 points to post a piece, but depending on the length of it, you'll get up to 50 points back, so, most of the time you only lose about 100 points for posting. Points are reset every month to 300. This is so that a whole new cycle of point-earning begins again.

The more reviews you do, the higher your review count. The higher your review count, the greater number of stars! Basically, up to 250 reviews grants you gold stars. You gain these gradually-- I believe first it's 25 reviews for one star, 50 for the next, 100 for the next, and 150 for the next, and so on. After gold stars, you progress to blue stars, and then red.

Anyway! Hope I didn't confuse you? :P A clearer explanation can be found here.

So! I'm not much of a fantasy fan myself, but I know a lot of people here are. I do like sci-fi, though and horror stories, so your story does sound pretty interesting! :D

Hope to see you around!

June

rawr!!! :idea:
Hi there! I'm in a random mood! (As usual)!
So... anyway, well, thanks for the warm welcome, I think I'm really going to like this site....
Much gratitude as well for all the good information about points and stuff; come to think of it, you deserve loads of them, I should donate some for you. :wink:

:elephant: :elephant: :elephant: :elephant: :elephant: :elephant: :elephant:
Aaah attack of the giant pink elephants!!! Must....stay...focused!!!

*Deep breath*. Ok... lets see... oh, about genres.... I like horror and science fiction too, have you read H.P. Lovecraft? I haven't managed to get my hands on any of his books yet but they sound really fantastic; apparently, he combines elements of science fiction and horror as well as some fantasy.
As for my story, I'm glad you think it sounds interesting; it actually does take place in the future... starting out in an underground concentration camp where the main character is trapped because of the secret organization his parents are in...
Most of it takes place on an alternate planet though. :wink:

Anywayz... thanks again! :smt024

Luv,

M.E.

topic50200.html
They say the eyes
Are windows to the soul
I say the earth
The sky
The moon
All of these
Are windows
To you

17 Reviews

Thu Jul 02, 2009 4:53 am

lilymoore wrote:Snoink dear, he said clock work mask, not maze.

*reaches out and pokes the newb* Why hello there DFR! (Your username is long, give me a break.)

mhmm got the basic rules but there are a few others too keep in mind.

Respect all other members on the site. Its okay to have discussions, but fighting is frowned upon.
You know what it feels like to be a new member, but there will always be newbies after you. So be nice to them and patient with them too.
Being active is always appreciated. We get so many members who regester, post once in the Literature forum without making a single review even, then they disappear for good.
And just in general, be helpful.

Any questions, just give me a PM.

Hello Tigger! :wink: (Sorry about that, its an inside joke :lol:)

Thanks for the welcome! *Pokes back*. You can call me Drad, or Rune, or... "The Ferryman." Just made that up, I like the sound of it. :D

I will resolve firmly to be as helpful and nice and patient and active as possible! *Salute*

Sincerely,
The Ferryman
(oh, my hobbit name is Merimac Loamsdown; thats also a good one)
They say the eyes
Are windows to the soul
I say the earth
The sky
The moon
All of these
Are windows
To you

17 Reviews

Thu Jul 02, 2009 5:05 am

mhmmcolleenx0 wrote:Hey, welcome to YWS. You sound like an interesting person, and your novel sounds interesting, too. Well, here are three main rules you'll have to remember:

1. The 2:1 ratio. Basically, it means that you have to review twice before posting your own work. People are more willing to review your work if you review theirs.

2. Rate your work. If your work has the f-word, or graphic scenes, rate it 'R'. If it's not rated R, it will appear on the homepage.

3. Pls dnt tlk lik dis. Limit chat-speak. This is a writing website, use proper spelling and grammar.

So, yeah. Welcome to YWS, again. And if you have questions, PM me.

Yo,
Thanks for being so friendly, and thanks for the tips, I didn't know about those. (You don't have to worry about the content of my posts though, I'm a Catholic. :) )

If your interested, here is my first story excerpt post:
topic50200.html

I will be checking out your profile now...

Thanks again!
-M.E.
(Actual initials for real life name)
They say the eyes
Are windows to the soul
I say the earth
The sky
The moon
All of these
Are windows
To you

1464 Reviews

Reviews: 1464
Thu Jul 02, 2009 5:13 am
Juniper says...

Dradian Far Runes wrote:rawr!!! :idea:
Hi there! I'm in a random mood! (As usual)!
So... anyway, well, thanks for the warm welcome, I think I'm really going to like this site....
Much gratitude as well for all the good information about points and stuff; come to think of it, you deserve loads of them, I should donate some for you. :wink:

:elephant: :elephant: :elephant: :elephant: :elephant: :elephant: :elephant:
Aaah attack of the giant pink elephants!!! Must....stay...focused!!!

*Deep breath*. Ok... lets see... oh, about genres.... I like horror and science fiction too, have you read H.P. Lovecraft? I haven't managed to get my hands on any of his books yet but they sound really fantastic; apparently, he combines elements of science fiction and horror as well as some fantasy.
As for my story, I'm glad you think it sounds interesting; it actually does take place in the future... starting out in an underground concentration camp where the main character is trapped because of the secret organization his parents are in...
Most of it takes place on an alternate planet though. :wink:

Anywayz... thanks again! :smt024

Luv,

M.E.

topic50200.html

Nope! Unfortunately, I haven't read any Lovecraft! For some odd reason, I don't touch bookstores or libraries enough, but I do want to read some of his works.

Will you be posting parts of your story on here? If so, I'd be more than willing to review it! :)

Thanks for the donation! It's much appreciated! :D If you have any other questions, post them here or PM me. ;)

June ;)

Bananas
— looseleaf