z

Young Writers Society

Hello, everybody. [:

18 Reviews

Reviews: 18
Sun Jun 28, 2009 8:08 pm
railway says...

-stammery voice- Emm... emm... I'm new here so I'd better tell you about me. :B

My name is Sophie, I'm 14 and from the UK and I'm the average school student. My dream is to become a published author, but note how I say dream. I haven't got my heart completely set on it, there are other things I would like to do, such as travel the world and get a job in a big office in the marketing or communication departments.

I just want to try out new things, I suppose!

So, I hope that I enjoy my time here at the YWSF and that I get to learn some new, interesting things about writing and how to improve my own writing and that I'll meet some pretty cool people. You seem like an awesome bunch, so it's even better. (:

It's quite sad because I have no one to share my passion for writing with in school, since not many people are into it. Only a couple of my good friends are, so I'm glad to be able to easily find other teenagers just like me from all over the globe. Therefore, I am so happy that I've finally found a community for writers within my age group. I don't want to tear my eyes away from the computer screen and take my bath and pack my schoolbag!

Hurray?!

I better go and do those things now before it gets too late.

312 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 312
Mon Jun 29, 2009 7:57 am
Mars says...

:o

In the nineteenth century, you linked cities and towns by a network of speedy locomotives, thus greatly reducing the time it took to travel!

Sorry, I'm sort of (sort of? Totally) a history geek. :P

Anyway, welcome to YWS! You've definitely come to the right place; you'll get great feedback on your writing and there are probably some cool people lurking around here somewhere, if you look hard enough. I'm totally the same way about other people - hardly anyone I know writes, so this world and the outside world are very different.

Onto a couple of the most important rules!

Firstly, keep a 2:1 ratio of reviews to works posted. This way, we keep the site running, and everyone gets a comment on their work. It looks like you've already got this covered, though, so well done you. :)

Secondly, no chatspeak, because we're writers. xD Also something you've got covered.

Thirdly, this isn't a rule, but you should rate your works when you post them. That way they'll show up on the front page! and people will know what they're getting into when they read them. If they should be rated R (graphic sex, violence and/or swearing) then they must be rated, though. ;-)

Here are the Content Rating Guidelines if you want to take a look.

Feel free to PM me if you want a review, have questions, or need a chat! And welcome again.
x Mars
'life tastes sweeter when it's wrapped in poetry'
-the wombats

critiques // nano

58 Reviews

Reviews: 58
Mon Jun 29, 2009 10:08 am
LilyJamey says...

Eek! Cool avatar!

Hellooo, Sophie! My name is Lily, as that tag on the left indicates. Welcome to the [s]brainwashing drug[/s] YWS, the addictive site for the itching imagination! I see you've already started feeling the effects. Muahaha.

Just kidding, the addictiveness is simply in our population. If you're looking advice and reviews, this is your stop. Most people here are very helpful when it comes to critiquing, and possibly more so when greeting beloved newcomers. We all (well, almost all) can relate to your, ah, predicament, since most of us live, go to school, hang out and travel with very un-writerly peeps. Our little (or perhaps, not so little) family, however, is completely consisted of writing nuts. I'm sure you'll find loads of cool and friendly people on our site - it's really a very awesomesauce place.

Since Mars already covered the rules, I'll enlighten you on some other aspects of Yewis. The coloured names, for instance. When I first got on the site I wondered about them and didn't find out what they meant till a whole month after I joined, so I might as well tell you before you follow in my footsteps.

Open the forum index and scroll down to the very bottom. There, it specifies what each colour means. This doesn't mean that colourless people aren't as good though. They could just be too new or unwilling for some reason or another.

What genre do you like to write? And read, of course. I'd like to see your work (unless it's fantasy fiction, which I really don't get), you could have me review anything prose. So tell us more about yourself - your other hobbies, your fave football club, your most-beloved book, some random info, anything. :D I'm sure you'll find loads of people who share your interest.

I hope I haven't seemed a little overbearing. Don't hesitate to PM me if you need a friend. Hope to see you round the site soon!

Cheers,
Lily.
Got YWS?

108 Reviews

Reviews: 108
Mon Jun 29, 2009 4:34 pm
Hawkie says...

Hi Sophie! I'm Hawkie and welcome to YWS! I think you'll definitely enjoy it here. :D

When I was young, I admired clever people. Now that I am old, I admire kind people.
— Abraham Heschel