z

Young Writers Society

Hello

Reviews: 0
Tue Jun 09, 2009 8:29 am
Archie Meyers says...

I'm a new member here so i was just wanting to introduce myself as it says.

I am, yes, Archie and i was just wondering whether or not there are any rules in regards to posting or to do with the website that i should know about?

Thanks

57 Reviews

Reviews: 57
Tue Jun 09, 2009 4:15 pm
Merlin34 says...

Welcome. And as for rules, the only thing that really springs to mind is to review 2 works for every work you submit. Other than that, just don't flame or swear at people.

Hope ya have fun here!

263 Reviews

Reviews: 263
Tue Jun 09, 2009 4:34 pm
Angels-Symphony says...

Archieeeeeeeee! Oh no! You haven't been greeted properly yet! So it's my time to shine *_*

I'm Shina, and I'm one of the blue-titled people known as greeters. It is my job and my pleasure to greet all of the new members. Welcome to YWS! I'm sure you'll feel at home as long as you just jump in and get started.

As for the rules, there are plenty :F Don't worry, it's only to keep things safe and fun. You'll make some mistakes here and there, but it's all apart of the newbie experience.

1. The 2:1 ratio. You need to review 2 pieces of work for every time you post one of your pieces. It keeps the site circulated, and plus, if you review someone else's work, it'll make them want to review too.

2. Reviews are usually more than 4 lines long. Don't just comment, they'd like to hear about the break down of the whole thing. If critiquing is your thing, great! We'll be in need of more editors soon.

3. No chat speak! Use proper grammar and punctuation. Only lol and brb is allowed. It makes things more professional and helps members practice their skills.

4. Colored titles-
Different colored-titles mean different ranks.
Blue title- greeters *pokes self*
Purple title- Instructors (they have the best reviews and critiques)
Light green title- jr. mods
dark green- mods
Red and orange are the site-runners.

5. No salty language! If it's included in your writing, you must rate it "R" or "PG13" accordingly.

Those are all the rules, need I say more xD

Good Luck and Have Fun Archie!

-Shina
You cannot dream yourself into a character; you must hammer and forge yourself into one.

The writer, when he is also an artist, is someone who admits what others don't dare reveal.

489 Reviews

Reviews: 489
Tue Jun 09, 2009 8:12 pm
Dreamwalker says...

Hey there! I'm The.Dreamwalker but most people call me dreamwalker or TDW or just DW but you can call me whatever you like! and it's a pleasure to meet you.

Some interesting things about YWS that you might like to know is that there is a very wide area of things you can do other then just posting stories and reviewing works such as the forums themselves and different groups. There are groups on many different things like 'The character teaparty' and 'Grammar lovers' and all that.

If you are looking for someone to review your work you can always go to a purp or instructor, but if you want there is a forum called 'will review for food'. the forum is filled with people who just love to review and you can request one of them or a few of them if you wish of it ^_^

There's also storybooks and such things too which are really fun.

Another thing you might find interesting is, our YWS god is nate :). We worship him because he is the person who created our lovely YWS!

So welcome to YWS and dont be shy if you want a friend. If you want someone to review any of your work or anything like that, just PM me and I'll be there in a jiffy :)

From Dreams to Reality
~The.Dreamwalker
Suppose for a moment that the heart has two heads, that the heart has been chained and dunked in a glass booth filled with river water. The heart is monologuing about hesitation and fulfillment while behind the red brocade the heart is drowning. - R.S

36 Reviews

Reviews: 36
Tue Jun 09, 2009 9:26 pm
deleted_5 says...

Hiya and welcome to YWS. The fun writing website with the writing maniacs. :D *Gives a cookie* I'm Lucy Pennykettle, but you can call me Lucy or Luce.

So people have told you about these awesome forums. The groups are sensational. They are so fun and you meet people who have similar likings and all that jazz. I would definitely recommend them.

There's also the Blogs section. You can start your own blog and read other people's blog. (See? Who needs Facebook now? :D ) Starting a blog is very simple to do. I really hope you do it. It's one of the best things on here. (Although, everything is amazing here.)

Another place to hang out is the Chat lounge. It's basically a chatroom, but it's really fun and a great way to make friends.

One place similar to The Chat Lounge is the Lounge in the community forum. It has loads of polls, discussions and all that cool stuff. It's one of my favourite places to go.

So, now that we've told you stuff, you need to tell us stuff.
Favourite colour?
favourite food?
Favourite reading genre?
Favourite writing genre?
Ice cream or cookies?
Want Lucy to be quite now? :D

Well, once again, welcome and enjoy the site!
*Lucy*
I hate television. I hate it as much as I hate peanuts. But I can't stop eating peanuts. I also hate being on television, I hate it as much as people hate chocolate. But they always want chocolate.

146 Reviews

Reviews: 146
Wed Jun 10, 2009 12:15 am
SeleneForeverDream says...

Hey Archie and welcome to the wonderful world of YWS! :D I'm Selene, by the way, or whatever you wish to call me.

So here at YWS we members always have rules that may not be written in stone, but they're expected of you all the same. When you receive a blog reply, critique, or someone signing your guestbook, you should thank the person by writing back. This is just common courtesy and it's greatly appreciated by everyone. ^^

If you have any questions, would like a review, or just want to talk about something, feel free to PM me.
Got YWS?

You judge others upon their actions, but you judge yourself by your intention.

122 Reviews

Reviews: 122
Wed Jun 10, 2009 10:26 am
WaterVyper says...

Hey Archie! It's great to meet you, and welcome to YWS! It seems as if everything has been covered by the others, so there isn't much left for me. I suppose I can explain points. I was mystified by them when I first arrived on YWS, so I think it'll be helpful.

On YWS, you'll notice that we have points that are located under someone's avatar. When you review a piece of work, you earn 0.2 points for every character (i.e. every space, apostrophe, comma, letter, number, etcetera) you type in, for a maximum of 50 points. When you post something, you spend 150 points, but you can get some back depending on the length of what you posted. Storybooks cost 100 points to create, and you don't get any back.

In addition, you can donate points to other users. There's a donate button found under the place where points are listed, so you can give some of yours to another person. On the homepage, you'll notice that there is a table that shows the people with the most points. These points are used to determine the member of the month, who will then be featured above the leaderboard. Points are reset to 300 every month now, I believe.

So, that's it for points. If you have any questions about anything, you're free to PM me. See you around, Archie!
There once was a cat.
He wasn’t particularly fat.
Fuzzy was his favorite mat.
And really, that was that.

Oh, but did you really think so?
Keep reading, it’s just the start of the show!
And as for how far this tale will go…
Well, even the cat doesn’t know.

It is most unlikely. But - here comes the big "but" - not impossible.
— Roald Dahl