z

Young Writers Society

Hello, I'm new...

8 Reviews

Reviews: 8
Wed Jun 03, 2009 1:58 pm
red_roses says...

Hello everyone of YWS!

My name is Jess, 14 years old and live in England :D The weather' never very good, but it's pretty nice here (: My favourite colour is Orange... I LOVE that colour. Almost everything that is bright bright orange, I just die lol. I also love dolphins :)

But yeah, I look forward to looking around this site and starting to review things... As I'm not much of a writer... Well I'm not much of a Crit either... But I thought it would be a cool thing to try and do. Any tips? Lol. 'll just browse what other people have said really.

I will pretty much review anything, poems or stories - I don't mind, whichever floats. If you would like something reviewed, just ask me, I'm sure I will do it for you and get back to you ASAP, I promise :D

So yeah, that's pretty much me! :)

410 Reviews

Reviews: 410
Wed Jun 03, 2009 3:19 pm
Alainna says...

Hey there Jess and welcome to YWS!! *hands out ice-lollies*

The weather has been unbelievably good lately, no? No way that it can last...

On the tips front: Steer away from any form of chat speak, keep your crit:post ratio 2:1 and just be yourself. Everyone's pretty welcoming here.

Also, check out the Help & Support tab on the drop down menu at the top ^^. It's pretty useful for rules and help getting around the site.

Feel free to pm me if you need anything at all and I'll be happy to help you out.

All the best,
Alainna
xxx
Sanity is for the unimaginative.

Got YWS?

8 Reviews

Reviews: 8
Wed Jun 03, 2009 4:18 pm
red_roses says...

Thank you for those tips, sounds good. I'll start criting right away :)

And yes, the weather has been good, but on the whole, the weathers not always like this, if EVER! Lol.

Thank you again for all of the tips!

X

71 Reviews

Reviews: 71
Wed Jun 03, 2009 6:51 pm
fragile_heart(!) says...

Hey red_roses!

My name is Avery, and welcome to YWS!

We have a few rules here at YWS that we expect our members to follow. They're pretty simple, so don't worry. Most of them are just plain common sense.

People with colorful names are called Mentors. They are the people who basically keep the site under control. There's the red Administrators, light/dark green Jr. Mods/Moderators, purple Instructors, and blue Greeters, like me! Their jobs are pretty self explanitory, but if you'd like more information on them, you can click here. (It's the Application forum, but since you have to be a member for at least a month, you can't apply just yet!)

The Community Forums are a great place to be. (I spend most of my time there :wink:) There's a Homework Help Forum, Writing Activities, and many other things that are useful. A great way to make new friends is to post something in the About the Authors thread, or go onto Chat. If you do, you'll have friends in no time! :)

If you're a little rusty when it comes to writing, critiqueing, or just the layout of YWS, you can check out our Knowledge Base.

Hope to see you around!

xxx

356 Reviews

Reviews: 356
Wed Jun 03, 2009 8:13 pm
*writewatiwant* says...

Red roses always remind me of a song balled "Black roses and a bottle of wine". No idea why, though. Red roses, black roses.

Anyway, sorry about the above babbling :D
Welcome to YWS, Jess! I'm Kat, nice to meet you too :P

Heart and Allaina gave good advises, and so I'll explain our rainbow to you, ok?
People here, on YWS, have jobs, that0s why some names are colored.

We have Blue (Greeters; like Heart and myself),
Purple (Instructors),
Light Green/ Dark Green (Junior Moderators and Moderators; like Allaina above),
Red (Administrators) and Orange (Distinguished members.
For more information go here (Help and Support; select Staff Positions, under Miscellaneous).

You can check lots of things there, and it's good to understand a bit more of the web site ;)

If you want to chat or hang out, you can check if the Chat is open (you can check it on your YWS or on the Home page) or go to The Lounge or check the Randomness. It's pretty fun :D

Tell us more about yourself!
Orange or yellow? <---- That's a stupid question since 'you die at the sight of something bright orange.
Then... *thinks* *pocks head* *hits head on the desk* What do you like to read? Any favorite author or books that you'd like to mention?
Jazz or blues?

See you arond, and if you need anything, feel free to PM me (the middle button at the end of this post)!
*Kat*
Last edited by *writewatiwant* on Wed Jun 03, 2009 9:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Piglet: How do you spell love?
Pooh: You don't spell it. You feel it.

The Buddy System Check us out!

123 Reviews

Reviews: 123
Wed Jun 03, 2009 8:43 pm
Lord Anzius says...

Yet another 14 year old joins us. Arichaimasen........ I'm trying to speak Japaneese if your wondering... But I think I failed. Anyways. How is it in England?
To copy reality is good... But to create reality is much, much better.
-Giuseppe Verdi-

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Wed Jun 03, 2009 9:23 pm
Rosendorn says...

Hiya and welcome!

So long as your comment on a story is over three lines, it counts as a critique! Most people are thrilled at just getting a few comments on what they've done well or not well. You can also check out the Instructors' critiques (Instructors have purple names), and base your critiques off them. Instructors earn that title, so you're guarenteed a good critique if you ask them, or read their posts!

If you want, you can check out Will Review for Food. It's a subforum of the Lounge and is a place where people say they'll critique on request. Poke around a few threads and request on the ones you like (When you post something). You might even want to start up a thread of your own. ;)

What are your favourite genres?

If you have any questions, hit the PM me button at the bottom of this post. I'm an Instructor under my blue coat, so feel free to bug me. ;)

~Rosey
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Thu Jun 04, 2009 6:35 am
Snoink says...

But! But! Dolphins aren't orange!!!!!!

Fortunately, I am studying to be a biochemical engineer and, with enough bribery, I can be persuaded to create orange dolphins. MWHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

*ahem*

Yeah... about those critiques... just browse through the forums and analyze critiques. Or analyse, lol. However you silly English people spell it. ;) But seriously! The way I learned how to write critiques was I basically attached myself to my favorite critics, had them review some of my stuff, and picked and chose what I liked and what I didn't like about their critiques. And then I did some experimenting on my own. It's been a blast. :D

Anyway, glad to see you on YWS! If you need any help, feel free to bug me. :D
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

Nouns can verb very well actually, they verb better than some verbs do.
— winterwolf0100