z

Young Writers Society

Hey, I'm new

Reviews: 4
Tue Mar 03, 2009 6:10 pm
XxxSummerxxX says...

Hey I'm Summer and I'm new here. I'm a former member of Quizilla but there were just too many problems on the site for me to have to work around. I'm hoping my stories will be more enjoyed here. So yeah... HI!

78 Reviews

Reviews: 78
Tue Mar 03, 2009 6:26 pm
Theodorable says...

Hi Summer! Welcome to YWS. I guess I'll give you the basics:

1. You have to keep a ratio of 2:1 of reviews to one of your own works. A review is about 250 characters or roughly six lines of text.
2. You can rate your works, please do so. All works appear on the home page of the site, except if it is rated R for language, sexual content, or violence.

Enough of those. I moved from Quizilla as well. How about some facts about you?
Favorite book?
What's your favorite movie?
Hobby?
Band/song?
Color?

Hope to see you around. If you have any questions feel free to PM me. Have a wonderful time on YWS!
Driver picks the music, shotgun shuts his cake hole. -Dean, Supernatural

312 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 312
Tue Mar 03, 2009 6:42 pm
Mars says...

Hey Summer! Welcome to YWS! Teddy mentioned a couple of the rules - you can find the rest of them here.

From Quizilla, eh? Well, don't worry, your works will be appreciated here! If you find yourself in need of a review, there's a whole forum where you can request one.

So, you might have noticed that some of us are running around with coloured names. Blue members are called Greeters, and they welcome each new member to the site. Instructors give critiques and help members improve their writing. Moderators keep the site from chaos (we love them - hug one if you get a chance! ^^). Junior mods, split into crews, are in light green, and mods (or Big Brother) are in dark green. Admins are Nate, Mesh, and Firestarter. Nate founded the site, and Mesh and Jack (Firestarter) are his two right-hand helpers! Distinguished members are retired mods.

Also! I always like to mention this, because it took me a long time to find it. Up at the top, under Resources, you can find the Knowledge Base. The Knowledge Base is full of really helpful articles on writing fiction and poetry, grammar, and even the site itself!

Do you write fiction, or poetry, or both? Who are your favorite authors and books? What genre do you like?

Feel free to PM me if you have questions or just want to talk, and again, welcome to the site. ;-)
-Mars
'life tastes sweeter when it's wrapped in poetry'
-the wombats

critiques // nano

273 Reviews

Reviews: 273
Tue Mar 03, 2009 6:47 pm
Lost_in_dreamland says...

Hey there and welcome to YWS :D
TeddyBear has already explained our two main rules.
You'll love it here, everyone is helpful and generally fun to be around. The 'site can seem a bit large and hard to understand at first, so if you'd like you can get a mentor, basically someone that looks after you for the first month that you're here, reviews all your work that you post in your first month, guide you around YWS and just generally be your friend. If you'd like more information about getting a mentor just go here:
viewgroup.php?f=162
:D

Now, let's see... colours:

purple - we're the instructurs, quite evidently the most interesting, the highest in intellectual value and the most wonderful... *lols* we're the instructors, basically, if you want an indepth, long review ask us and we shall gladly help :D

blue -The wonderful people that greet you and welcome you to the site. They are usually the ones that should be doing this, but this week we're having a war so we're swapping places, confusing, eh?

green - mods; they're responsible for making sure everything runs smoothly. They check the forums and make sure that everyone's playing by the rules &c. &c.

red Admin. There's only two administrators, I think ;) Nate being the one in charge of the whole thing ;) He's God as far as we're concerned. :D Admins are basically everything, without them there's no YWS.

stars:

5 reviews = 1 star
25 = 2
75 = 3
150 = 4
250 = 5

the we go onto colour, which is basically the same only in colour, if you get me.

Anyway, welcome to YWS, what do you like to write and/ or read?

:D
for what are we without words and stories?

369 Reviews

Reviews: 369
Tue Mar 03, 2009 7:16 pm
Conrad Rice says...

Hi Summer! It's nice to see you here on YWS! My name is Conrad Rice, and I'm one of the Instructors here on the site. That means if you have any problems, you come right to me and I will endeavor to make your YWS experience smoother and more enjoyable.

We really hope you will get settled in here and become a steady member of the site. It's always great when someone decides to stay and contribute. PM me if you have any questions, all right? :)
Garrus Vakarian is my homeboy.

Random avatar

Reviews: 20
Tue Mar 03, 2009 7:18 pm
MySunshine says...

Welcome to YWS, Summer :D

I have the same questions as Teddybear22, so tell us more about yourself ^^

Other than that, I can only agree with Lost_in_dreamland - everyone here's really helpful (you'll notice that once you start posting your works ;) and also before that ^^) and it's a lot of fun to be around here.

Feel free to ask for help, kay? ^^

Have a great time here :D
MySunshine
♥And if you go, I wanna go with you. And if you die, I wanna die with you♥

174 Reviews

Reviews: 174
Tue Mar 03, 2009 8:46 pm
lucyy says...

Hiya there :smt039 Summer and welcome to the cozy family of YWS!!! =D

[quote=MySunshine]I have the same questions as Teddybear22, so tell us more about yourself ^^ [/quote]
Me too, so please tell us more about yourself!! :smt081

Also, to continue your first-time education of YWS :wink: there are also Groups that you can join, and which are fun to be a part of also!! Click on the link and have a look at the selection - it's also a great way to meet more people around the site, as well (:

As both, Lost_in_dreamland and Mars said, us Purps give critiques, but also a lot of awesome people that aren't Instructors (and Instructors too!!) offer their help in the Will Review For Food Subforum - just bribe them with cookies and you'll get them doing lots of reviews for you :wink: .

Anyway, enjoy your time around YWS, and I hope to see you around!!
--Lucyy xx
"Don't think, or judge. Just Listen."

245 Reviews

Reviews: 245
Tue Mar 03, 2009 9:23 pm
LowKey says...

Gotta love how you got two people telling you what colors meant what, haha.

Quizilla's a writing site? I suppose that would show how much I know. I thought it was something along the lines of sparknotes, a site for procrastinating college students to cram fast on what they should have been studying all week. :P

What stuff do you write? I can critique almost anything you throw at me, though I'd rather not do fan-fiction, historical fiction, or non-fiction. I can do essays, though. Just don't expect me to be an expert in the topic area. ;) Just drop me a PM when you post something, and I'll critique it as soon as possible.

Can't wait to see you around the forums! :D
Necropolis SB / Necropolis DT

Once was Dreamer, is now LowKey_Lyesmith.

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.

537 Reviews

Reviews: 537
Tue Mar 03, 2009 9:28 pm
Evi says...

Quizilla was cool, but you don't get real feedback on your work like you do here. :wink: Trust me, YWS is amazing. It does wonders to help you make great friends and improve your writing while you're at it. What could be better?

I see that you've already been swarmed with us lovely Instructors? XD, yes, there is a reason for that. Normally you'd be swarmed by the Greeters, those friendly blue people, but you've come during a quite crazy time-- we're in the middle of a color war! That means that the Purps and the Blues are switching jobs for a while. No worries, though, things will get back to normal soon.

I won't repeat the rules, but make sure to check them out. YWS is awesome just because we have such great members who all abide by the law and keep things running smoothly. See how everyone has those points? Points are our version of money. You can earn points by helping out around the site (reviewing other people's work, welcoming new members, helping people in Writing Tips) and you can spend your accumulated points when you post work of your own!

If you'd like to post something you've written, just go to 'submit something' under the Writing tab on the Header at the top of your screen. As long as you've reviewed at least two works of other people, you'll be a-okay and you can start getting some feedback!

If you'd like to make friends, start posting in the Lounge, which is under Community. It's the social area of YWS where you can just talk. Randomness is, of course, where you can go completely crazy and post random stuff! Which is, might I add, tons of fun. ;)

PM me or any of the colored-name people if you ever need help navigating the site or just need a friend! See you around, and hope to see your writing up soon!

~Evi
"Let's eat, Grandma!" as opposed to "Let's eat Grandma!": punctuation saves lives.

1464 Reviews

Reviews: 1464
Tue Mar 03, 2009 10:58 pm
Juniper says...

Hi Summer! Welcome to YWS! I'm June, it's really nice to meet you. :D

Hm! It seems the rules have already been run over. That's great. You may want to take a look at the FAQ page. Lots of helpful stuff there: faq.php

Sorry if it seems that we're swarming you with rules and guides. See, the thing is, we get excited when a new member comes along, and we want to make sure that they know their way around so that we can have fun with new members soon. I promise we're not that crazy-- only slightly.

Hm, I guess since there's little explaining left for me to do, I can bombard you with questions! :P

Do you have a favorite author? If so, who is it? Do you like poetry? Romance or fantasy? Favorite movie? Favorite type of music? Favorite music artist? Do you play instruments? Favorite place? Favorite country? Do you like art? If so, painting or drawing? Who's your inspiration? Biggest influence in life? Biggest ambition in life? What do you want to be when you grow up?

That should be enough to begin with, haha. But, I have more for later on.

Also! You can pair up with a buddy if you like; They'll help you out around the site for a while, review everything you post in a given period of time, and be your best friend on here for a while... that is, unless you find another best friend.

topic20053.html

Hmm... it seems everything else has been covered already except for ranks! Ranks come with your post count, so the more posts you have, the higher your rank. Here's our legend:

New Member: 0-4 posts
Novice: 5-14 posts
Junior Writer: 15 - 49 posts
Writer: 50 - 99 posts
Senior Writer: 100 - 249 posts
Novelist: 250 - 499 posts
Speaker of the Forum: 500+ posts
Master of the Forum: 1,000 posts.

When you reach the rank of a novelist, you are allowed to have a custom title (those spiffy black words beneath some people's names) and you can edit/change that as much as you like.

And! Then, there's the stars...

First come the pretty, pretty gold stars

5 Reviews = 1 Star
25 Reviews = 2 Stars
75 Reviews = 3 Stars
150 Reviews = 4 Stars
250 Reviews = 5 Stars

Then the shiny Blue Stars:

350 Reviews = 1 Blue Star, 4 Gold Stars
450 Reviews = 2 Blue Stars, 3 Gold Stars
550 Reviews = 3 Blue Stars, 2 Gold Stars
650 Reviews = 4 blue stars, 1 Gold star
750 Reviews = 5 blue stars

And then, the awesometastic Red Stars:

850 Reviews = 1 Red Star, 4 Blue Stars
950 Reviews = 2 Red Stars, 3 Blue Stars
1,050 Reviews = 3 Red stars, 2 Blue Stars
1,150 Reviews = 4 Red stars, 1 Blue star
1,250 Reviews = 5 Red stars

Hm, so, if you've got any questions, feel free to PM me. If anyone's mean to you or anything, PM a moderator, and they'll take care of it. Not that there's any mean people around here, I don't think...

Welcome aboard!

June
"I'd steal somebody's purse if I could google it and then download it." -- Firestarter

the button war, the egg being featured member, and santa necro-liking halloween-esque works are the reasons i love yws
— Carina