z

Young Writers Society

Hewow.

Random avatar

Reviews: 0
Sat Feb 28, 2009 10:14 pm
siriuslyconfused1 says...

So... yeah. I'm Siriuslyconfused1, and my friend forced me to join this so. Hi. I write poetry and short stories... And that's about as interesting as it gets. Yeah.

239 Reviews

Reviews: 239
Sat Feb 28, 2009 10:20 pm
MeadowLark says...

Heya! Welcome to YWS!

There are only a few 'rules' if you wanna call them that.

1. You must review at least two things before posting your own work on here. We try to keep it at a 2:1 ratio. It's only fair.

2. No chat speak. It's rather annoying and confusing. We're writers and we love proper grammar ^_^

3. Make loads of friends! We're all friendly (and just a little crazy) on here.

I like your username. It's awesome. But tell us about yourself. What is your favourite genre, books, author, etc?

Meadow
Purple light in the canyon
that is where I long to be
With my three good companions
just my rifle, pony and me

--- "My Rifle My Pony and Me"

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Sat Feb 28, 2009 11:27 pm
Rosendorn says...

Hiya and welcome!

Another wee little thing:

Rated works are what we like to see. If you rate your work (and it's not rated R) it'll show up on the front page of YWS. You just might get more comments out of it. ;) Rated R works have the f-word and/or graphic scenes.

If you have any questions, PM me.
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

106 Reviews

Reviews: 106
Sun Mar 01, 2009 1:14 am
Flux says...

So tell us a bit more about yourself. And believe me... you may have been forced to join, but you will not regret the choice whatsoever.

So, who's your favourite author?
What's your favourite book?
What's your favourite movie?
Who's your favourite actor/ actress?

That sort of stuff. C'mon, I'm sure you're just dying to say something, right? Tee hee. Anyone can blab about themselves.

Anyways, if you need anything feel free to PM me, or anyone really, if you need help.
"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person.

Give him a mask and he will tell you the truth."

-- Oscar Wilde

74 Reviews

Reviews: 74
Sun Mar 01, 2009 1:35 am
Sachiko says...

Hey, welcome to the Young Writer's Society! :D Glad you decided to join!

I'm Sachiko, nice to meet you! ^_^

So! you like to write short stories? Awesome! What Genre?

I see everyone else has done a great job of explaining the rules, so I won't bother with that! ^_^ If you have any questions, feel free to PM me, or a Mod or Junior Mod! They're easily recognizable by their dark green and light green names.

I hope to see you around the forums!
"Funniest Member -- Sachiko. Secretly the devil. Do not engage. I repeat, do not engage." -- Iggy

"Behold ye babes of grammar: the goddess Sachiko. She does what she wants." -- Lauren2010

317 Reviews

Reviews: 317
Sun Mar 01, 2009 1:37 am
mizz-iceberg says...

Hello and Welcome!

No I'm sure it gets better. So out with it! Tell us more about yourself. I mean, strangely enough we ALL like to write, so there must be something unique about you.

I hope you have been enjoying YWS so far. If you need any help or have have any questions or concerns feel free to PM me.

It would be a good idea to have a look at the guides, rules and FAQs.

See you around!

Zehra
I'm a godmother, that's a great thing to be, a godmother. She calls me god for short, that's cute, I taught her that.
--Ellen DeGeneres

878 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 878
Sun Mar 01, 2009 10:31 am
Demeter says...

Hey, Sirius! :)

Welcome to YWS! It's nice to meet you. May I ask who your friend is on this site? ;) You don't have to answer that if you don't want to. But, just between you and me, in a little while you won't probably consider your joining here to have happened under forcing... You'll come to love this place. :)

I write poetry, too! What kind of poetry do you do? Or do you have any special genre you like most?

So, tell us a bit more about you. What do you like to do? If you have any questions or something, you can always PM me – I'll be happy to help!

See you around!

Demeter
xxx
"Your jokes are scarier than your earrings." -Twit

"14. Pretend like you would want him even if he wasn't a prince. (Yeah, right.)" -How to Make a Guy Like You - Disney Princess Style

Got YWS?

Random avatar

Reviews: 20
Sun Mar 01, 2009 10:54 am
MySunshine says...

Hey Sirius :D
Welcome to YWS!

I hope you feel a little more un-forced now (does that word even exist? *go checks up a dictionary*) because this site is really awesome! ^^

So, what are your hobbies? Favorite movies?

Have a great time here, and feel free to ask if you need help ;)
MySunshine
♥And if you go, I wanna go with you. And if you die, I wanna die with you♥

143 Reviews

Reviews: 143
Sun Mar 01, 2009 11:08 am
anti-pop says...

Hi, Sirius! :D

Everyone beat me to the important stuff, so I suppose I'll just say hi!
Just like Demeter said, you'll come to love this site. (Trust me, you'll be the one forcing your friends to join.) ^_^

This really is a fantastic site with loads of talented and helpful members, so making new friends is easy. You can let us know a bit about yourself to start with, like what kind of prose/poetry you like to write? Narrative has always been my favorite. ^_^
Also, do you write often or just as a hobby? Just wondering; some people on here are total diehards when it comes to writing! XD

I'd suggest starting off in The Lounge, which is where a lot of cool stuff happens. (Although, this whole site is cool, so it's really hard to say.) After you've gotten yourself comfortable, you can start reading and reviewing some of the awesome work we've got up here! Then you can post your own for all of us YWSers to admire. :D

If you need any further help, just let me know, or check in at the Information Desk!

Happy writing, and welcome to YWS!

~anti-pop
...Bitter cold, it grows
changing holds
cynicism the new norm...

-Libretto

243 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 243
Sun Mar 01, 2009 11:39 am
Blink says...

Hello Sirius!

You username is really cool. I might steal it. Or not. Anyway, I'm a little prone to madness, so if I go all weird, feel free to have a go at me. =) So it's the old good grammar, 2 reviews for every submission rules that I give you.

I'm sure you're more interesting than that! Check out the Group section of the website, where you can join, well, groups, and talk about the things you like doing! And if none of those suit you, you can always make your own. :wink:

But anyway! Enough of that, I say. I'm Blink or Blinky or Mark, maybe even all three. I enjoy writing stories that aren't really stuck to any one genre, but what about you? Your favourite author? You should also go to the Randomness place in the community area (hit the link at the top of this page) if you want something laid back and cool. But this is a writery-site, you we talk about just that.

Okies. All the colours are simple one you understand how it works: Red are the admins. We've only got two of those at the moment, which would be Nate (the creator) and Meshugenah (junior admin). Moderators are dark green, and light green members are the Junior Moderators. I'm an instructor, giving me a cool purple name and blue members are greeters. Orange are for those who were once admins or moderators, but had to leave for some reason or another. These all put a lot of effort into the website, so respect is demanded! But that goes without saying for everyone, right?

*waves from rainy England*

Enjoy the community! See you about!

Blinky
"A man's face is his autobiography. A woman's face is her work of fiction." ~ Oscar Wilde

174 Reviews

Reviews: 174
Sun Mar 01, 2009 1:07 pm
lucyy says...

Wow, there really isn't much left for me to say, as everyone has beat me to the important stuff *evil eyes* . Anyway!! :D Welcome to the site, Sirius, and (just to repeat what everyone's said) you will totally enjoy it here!! But a pre-warning to you: you will become addicted.

Well, with that out of they way, please tell us more about yourself!! As everyone else seems to have asked you all the important questions, I feel I should give you a few of mine =D
1] What is your favourite brand of chocolate (choose Galaxy!! =P )
2] What kind of films do you like to watch?
3] Oooh!! Do you have any pets??
4] And finally, what are you going to have for dinner tonight?

Enjoy the site!!
--Lucyy

P.S. Any questions, or just want a chat, PM me!! (:
"Don't think, or judge. Just Listen."

10 Reviews

Reviews: 10

1464 Reviews

Reviews: 1464
Wed Mar 04, 2009 1:39 am
Juniper says...

Hi Sirius! I'm going to call you that, okay? :) I'm June! Welcome to YWS!

Anyway! So, YWS is really awesome, if you can't tell that already. It was founded by a really awesome person, and it is managed by supertastically awesome people. I wish we could thank them a lot more than we do for this place.

Anyway! So, rules have been given, rating has been explained, and blah, I'm going to run over the next few things that are important for you to know, dear. Here we go:

Be active! It pays off:

The more you post, the higher your post count goes. The higher your post count, the higher your rank. Take a look:

New Member: 0-4 posts
Novice: 5-14 posts
Junior Writer: 15 - 49 posts
Writer: 50 - 99 posts
Senior Writer: 100 - 249 posts
Novelist: 250 - 499 posts*
Speaker of the Forum: 500+ posts
Master of the Forum: 1,000 posts.

*- When you reach a novelist, you are then allowed a custom title; a custom title appears beneath your name, and you can put whatever text you like there.
And, review, review, review!

The more reviews you do, the higher your review count goes. The more you review, the more stars you get! Take a look:

Yellow/Gold

5 Reviews = 1 Star
25 Reviews = 2 Stars
75 Reviews = 3 Stars
150 Reviews = 4 Stars
250 Reviews = 5 Stars

Blue Stars:

350 Reviews = 1 Blue Star, 4 Gold Stars
450 Reviews = 2 Blue Stars, 3 Gold Stars
550 Reviews = 3 Blue Stars, 2 Gold Stars
650 Reviews = 4 blue stars, 1 Gold star
750 Reviews = 5 blue stars

Red Stars:

850 Reviews = 1 Red Star, 4 Blue Stars
950 Reviews = 2 Red Stars, 3 Blue Stars
1,050 Reviews = 3 Red stars, 2 Blue Stars
1,150 Reviews = 4 Red stars, 1 Blue star
1,250 Reviews = 5 Red stars

Also! A review must be at least 250 characters to count as a review.

You will see some people around here speaking about reviews and critiques. What's the difference? Not too much.

A review is where you're really generalistic. It's like reviewing a book in a bookstore, just briefly talking about the story as if you're telling someone who hasn't read it about it. Rather simple actually.

Critiques are more effective. In a critique, you point out any errors that may have occurred (spelling, punctuation, grammar, mechanics, etc.) and give suggestions on how to fix those errors. You offer constructive criticism by telling the author what could change and what they could add. Don't be afraid to voice your honest opinions, but try your best to be nice in doing so.

You do poetry! That's fabulous! What is your favorite genre of poetry to write? Do you like slam poetry? Who's your favorite poet?

And, you do short stories? That's fantastic! I look forward to seeing some of your work around here-- just be sure to complete two reviews prior to that submission.

I hope you enjoy your stay! Have questions? PM me or post them here!

June

Welcome aboard!
"I'd steal somebody's purse if I could google it and then download it." -- Firestarter

What really knocks me out is a book that, when you're all done reading it, you wish the author that wrote it was a terrific friend of yours and you could call him up on the phone whenever you felt like it. That doesn't happen much, though.
— J.D. Salinger, The Catcher in the Rye