z

Young Writers Society

Pandora's Box has opened...

50 Reviews

Reviews: 50
Sat Aug 16, 2008 1:59 am
Face Engine says...

Well, that's me just being arrogant, using Pandora's Box as a metaphor for the huge influence I am going to have on this forum over the next few years. As I said, that's me being intentionally arrogant, but really I'm the most modest person in the universe (and beyond) :lol: .

I will admit I've been a bit silly and written everything I should have written here in the "Introduce Yourself" forum. Having said that, I will neither encourage you to read my introduction (though you may if you wish, of course), nor will I ensure that everything I wrote there that should be written here will be written here. I shall simply write as though I have introduced myself in the manner that everybody else did in the "Introduce Yourself" forum.

I'm a Sci-Fi person. I do like fantasy-the first novels I read were Harry Potter, the Hobbit and Artemis Fowl (the latter containing a large number of Sci-Fi themes, but I consider it to be more fantasy)-but Sci-Fi novels tend to be feasible, and so they can be related to the real world. And that's what I like about Sci-Fi. An author, I can't remember who, once said, "politicians should read Science Fiction." I fully agree! Much of what was once considered to exist only in the realms of fiction later came true-HG Wells predicted war in the air and weapons that could lay waste to entire cities, and both became a major part of our world a few decades later.

So if I were to write an entire novel (so far I have a few small chapters' worth of unfinished novels), it would most likely be Science Fiction, or it would certainly exist within our universe and the same physical boundaries would apply. I like magic, and I like Jedis and Hyperspace, but recently I came across the real world, and so the novelty of such things has worn off. But who needs the ability to create any of the elements out of thin air when you have plasma guns, robots, city-sized spacecraft, epic space battles and anti matter bombs?!!

Anyways, there are a number of profound themes, concepts, etc which are currently spinning around inside my head (and possibly elsewhere). Surprisingly few of those themes (concepts, etc) are directly involved with war, but most involve conflict in some way or another-for example, what if a Human falls in love with a sentient extraterrestrial, and vice versa?! Would their governments allow them to take their love further? What if one government agreed, and the other did not? Would they have a place to go where neither one is the odd one out amongst billions of aliens?

Well, I better be going now. Baiya!

12 Reviews

Reviews: 12
Sat Aug 16, 2008 5:38 pm
beautyandthefish says...

Nice to meet you!
I can't say that I, myself enjoy sci-fi.
In fact I find it a bit...creepy, but to each his own.
Zoom, Zoom, Zoom!

50 Reviews

Reviews: 50
Sat Aug 16, 2008 7:02 pm
Face Engine says...

Hmm, I think I can understand why you find Sci-Fi creepy. I sometimes feel quite uncomfortable when reading novels set in the far future, when Human civilisation is so different from today's civilisation that it is utterly alien, or when Humans cease to exist.
I don't think "creepy" is the right word for me-I just feel alienated and perhaps saddened that Humankind, as we know it, will inevitably change into something completely different, or be destroyed.

'Tis the season to shovel enormous amounts of watermelon into your mouth while hunched over the cutting board like a dehydrated vampire that hasn't fed on blood in four hundred years and the only viable substitute is this questionable Christmas-colored fruit.
— Ari11