z

Young Writers Society

I'm not an emo kid anymore. Seriously.

5 Reviews

Reviews: 5
Tue Apr 05, 2005 4:36 am
View Likes
LighterJames says...

Hi there. I've already posted a poem I wrote a few months ago, but I decided I might as well introduce myself before I head off to sleepy land on opening night.

The name I generally go by is Greg, but, as is so often the case, my first name of James made for a better handle on this forum. While I scratched at smaller projects at even younger ages, the first book I can remember co-authoring was an illustrated sequel to Jurassic Park. I think I was about six or seven, and my cousin was three years my senior. Good times.

Lately I've fallen into a slump. I hope to gain some inspiration and understanding here. From what I've seen so far, you all seem supportive enough to balance out that necessary dash of harsh criticism I often so desperately need. I'm excited about what is to come, and I hope to be able to help out other struggling writers as I build myself back up to where I want to be in my writing life.

In a similar vein (a major reason behind my slump is that I haven't been reading as much in the past few years), I was wondering if anyone had any stand alone novels they might suggest. I'm looking for something solid, intriguing, and timely, without any sort of future commitment to a myriad of sequels.

137 Reviews

Reviews: 137
Tue Apr 05, 2005 4:39 am
View Likes
DarkerSarah says...

IF YOU DIDN'T READ MY BOOKS YOU'RE NOT GOING TO READ ANYONE'S.

Hmph.
"And I am a writer
writer of fiction
I am the heart that you call home
And I've written pages upon pages
Trying to rid you from my bones...
Let me go if you don't love me" ~The Decembrists "Engine Driver"

1259 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1259
Tue Apr 05, 2005 11:51 am
View Likes
Firestarter says...

Well, I assume that outburst was due to some familiarity between you two...

Stand-alone novels? Hmm....I often read oens that fit into a sort of series, so I'm probably not he best person to answer this. What's the genre you prefer reading?
Nate wrote:And if YWS ever does become a company, Jack will be the President of European Operations. In fact, I'm just going to call him that anyways.

172 Reviews

Reviews: 172
Tue Apr 05, 2005 12:08 pm
View Likes
Shadow Knight says...

Well, i've read one book, one stand-alone, it's non-fiction, but it's a novel. It's called the privilege of youth. It's about the author's childhood, it's actually quite interesting, seeming i only normally read fantasy.
Cause i'm a one man,
I'm a one man,
I'm a one man,
I'm a one man revolution.

5 Reviews

Tue Apr 05, 2005 2:38 pm
View Likes
LighterJames says...

I'm not really all that particular about a genre. Most of what I've read and enjoyed in the past has been character-driven science fiction, but I'm really looking to expand my list of influences.

1274 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1274
Wed Apr 06, 2005 2:34 am
View Likes
niteowl says...

Well there's The Merlin Conspiracy by Diana Wynne Jones. One of her few books that doesn't have a sequel. Unless there's one I don't know about.

Old Magic by Marianne Curley. Just finished reading it. Although there may be a future sequel...

Tailchaser's Song by uh...the last name begins with a W. It's pretty long, but it's really good. It's about the life of a cat named Tailchaser, basically, and his one big adventure.

Heartlight, The Ancient One, and The Horn of Merlin by T.A. Barron, the same person who wrote The Lost Years of Merlin. Although they all involve the same main character Kate, they aren't actually a connected series. They're all completely fine standing alone. Heartlight is mainly sci-fi, The Ancient One is mainly fantasy, and the Horn of Merlin is a nice mix of both.

The Transall Saga by Gary Paulsen. I know it sounds like a series, but it's not. And it's awesome.

The Ragwitch by Garth Nix. The only book I've read of his where I couldn't really detect an obsession with the number 7. And it's the only one that stands alone. EDIT: There's also Shade's Children, a sci-fi book. And there is a little bit of his 7 obsession.

Inkheart by Cornelia Funke. It's fantasy as well. Personally I found it much better than The Thief Lord. I plan on reading Dragon Rider soon.

And of course The House of the Scorpion by Nancy Farmer. Awesome, awesome sci-fi.

That's plenty for now since I can't think of any more. Here's your gift:
:D :) :( :o :shock: :? 8) :lol: :x :P :oops: :cry: :evil: :twisted: :roll: :wink: :!: :?: :idea: :arrow: :| :mrgreen: :xmas_wink: :xmas_happy: :xmas_cool: :xmas_evil: :dreidel: :menorah: :frosty: :thumb: =D> #-o =P~ :^o [-X [-o< 8-[ [-( :-k ](*,) :whistle: O:) =; :sick: :-({|= :-$ :-s \:D/ :-# :hearts_eyes: :love: :lots_hearts: :elephant:
Last edited by niteowl on Sun Apr 24, 2005 10:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"You do ill if you praise, but worse if you censure, what you do not understand." Leonardo Da Vinci

<YWS><R1>

24 Reviews

Reviews: 24
Wed Apr 06, 2005 3:27 am
View Likes
hi-mi-tsu says...

I can't recall the authors right now, but here's some:
The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Nighttime-this book is written from the perspective of an autistic boy and goes through his writing of it. It's interesting with a few sad twists.

Whatever happened to Lani Garver-Awesome book. About a boy who comes to a town full of "homophobic" people, and is told by a girl who's life was changed by being in contact with him.

Luna-Another great book about a transgendered boy trying to deal with who and what he is.

The Bermudez Triangle-A book about a group of friends trying to cope with the knowledge of each other's sexual preferences.

...Most of these books seem to be along the same genre, but I usually read books in a series. So here you go.
"I am in a duel to the death with this wallpaper! One of us has to go!"~Oscar Wilde, right before he died

137 Reviews

Reviews: 137
Thu Apr 07, 2005 12:41 am
View Likes
DarkerSarah says...

Well, I assume that outburst was due to some familiarity between you two...

We've been dating since I was 13 and he was 12, during the ten days between our birthdays.

-Sarah
"And I am a writer
writer of fiction
I am the heart that you call home
And I've written pages upon pages
Trying to rid you from my bones...
Let me go if you don't love me" ~The Decembrists "Engine Driver"

1259 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1259
Thu Apr 07, 2005 1:24 pm
View Likes
Firestarter says...

Yeh, I'd call that a familiarity.
Nate wrote:And if YWS ever does become a company, Jack will be the President of European Operations. In fact, I'm just going to call him that anyways.

5 Reviews

Thu Apr 07, 2005 3:45 pm
View Likes
LighterJames says...

Yeah, just a bit of one.

Thanks for all your suggestions, and if anyone has anymore, I'll appreciate those as well. I'm finally going to have to read The Lord of the Rings for school, so after that, I'll get on these here.

I feel like it will be absolute hotdog water, but oh well. It's just a draft.
— Charm