Young Writers Society

Phorcys, The Modern Prometheus

614 Reviews

Reviews: 614
Tue Jan 02, 2007 2:06 pm
Swires says...

Phorcys, The Modern Prometheus

...A random title for a random guy.

It appears that I havnt really got a topic where I explain who I am and what I'm for so, here it is.

I'm Phorcys, originally Adam101. Now I have a cool new avatar that is weirdly strange lol. My user name is the name of one of the sons of Posieden in Greek Mythology, it came from my research into The Boatman (one of my stories).

For about 2 years I have started taking an active role in writing communities and increasing my skills in prose, characterization and plotting. I have progressed muchly over that time and YWS has helped me. I have started about 5 novels now, all 15k words in. However, I always get bored with them because I never think about the plot. All of them have been cliches. Well, this novel I'm currently writing isn't cliche, I really love the characters I have and have begun to write it and post it here.

I write Fantasy, fantasy, fantasy. I love creating my own worlds and interacting my characters in them. I especially love unique political systems in my stories and enjoy creating societies immensely. My major downfall in world building is languages, most names are randomly thought up (places etc.) but this time there is a little structure.

I also enjoy reading fantasies although if its good, I read anything.

Many people know me as "that idiot that hates LOTR" - well I am an idiot and I hate LOTR, but I am forcing myself to read it of late because in a debate I am often criticized that if I haven't read it then I shouldn't be able to make a point.

I'm English. :D Does that automatically make me hot? (j/k)

I'm a Mentor on YWS, although that is becoming a defunct position, however hopefully I can become a greeter or something else so I can continue to help.

If anyone needs a crit, just PM me

And no Dreem Deep - I have not forgotten Chair of Wind and Darkness

C ya,
Adam
Previously known as "Phorcys"
Witherwings Harry Potter RPG

2058 Reviews

Reviews: 2058
Tue Jan 02, 2007 3:05 pm
View Likes
Emerson says...

Bonjour Adam!

So you hate LOTR? See, I have to ask, why? Because I feel I am also a person who hates LOTR without having read them. Don't you love being a hypocrite? I think I hate it for its pop-fiction quality, same thing goes for HP. But I want to hear your reason.

And, yes, being English does make you automatically hot. (In joke, mind you)

Keep writing this new novel you have, or I will be forced to find some black magic and turn you into a kitten, and from there (being the SPEW commando that I am) I will have to eat you.
“It's necessary to have wished for death in order to know how good it is to live.”
― Alexandre Dumas, The Count of Monte Cristo

614 Reviews

Tue Jan 02, 2007 3:35 pm
Swires says...

lol.

I am on Chapter 5 of the Fellowship, I hate it because of its sluggish, clogged up, overloaded prose with useless back history leaking into the story at every moment. I find the plot linear and boring, the only part I like is the music from the film.

I am a bit of a HP Fanatic mind, I just think its nice and simple with a great plot and characters.

Well I have just started writing Derren's story part three but Im losing essence of where I am going, so i am going to leave Derren there a while and go to a different part of the world.

I'm aiming for 10k words on the beginning then Ill write a 10k ending. Only then can I know and plot my middle.

ooo... excitement. :)

2058 Reviews

Reviews: 2058
Tue Jan 02, 2007 3:39 pm
Emerson says...

the only part I like is the music from the film.

I think thats funny.

And, you'll really screw me up if I go from reading a beginning, to an end. I'm more of a in order kind of person, but I guess you write from the outside in?

I actually think Derren is interesting, you could make a whole lot of plot out of him.
“It's necessary to have wished for death in order to know how good it is to live.”
― Alexandre Dumas, The Count of Monte Cristo

820 Reviews

Reviews: 820
Thu Jan 04, 2007 2:41 pm
Myth says...

I think the only chapter, from all three books, I really hated was when they met Tom Bombadil(sp?). Apart from that I love LOTR and the music.

I'll have to take a look at this Scall's Magic.

One question, how you do pronounce Phorcys?
.: ₪ :.

'...'

614 Reviews

Thu Jan 04, 2007 3:10 pm
Swires says...

Well there is a variation in spelling, it is sometimes spelt Phorkis - this implies it is pronounced For-kiss. BUT I like to pronounce it more more softly - For-siss.

LOTR is growing on me as I am reading onwards. Its worth the read even If I hate it at the end - its one of those things all fantasy writers should read, just to get to know High Fantasy a little.

506 Reviews

Reviews: 506
Thu Jan 04, 2007 5:26 pm
Sureal says...

Yay, I don't like LOTR either :). I've read through the trilogy once (it was a present, and would have been rude not too), but didn't really enjoy. I've been meaning to give it another go, cos there's a chance I may enjoy it more nowadays then when I recieved it.

Also, I like the title of this thread ('The Modern Prometheus'), simply cos that's the subtitle of Mary Shelley's Frankenstein ;).
I wrote the above just for you.

571 Reviews

Reviews: 571
Thu Jan 04, 2007 6:04 pm
Esmé says...

I love LOTR - I think the trilogy is great, lol. Read it in two laguages, hehe. But if you don't like the book, I don;t see the point of you making yourself read it. don't like it, don't read it. Easy. Especially as it's rather long.

Nice introduction, Phorcys.

I wouldn't be me if I couldn't fish out at least one mistake, lol.

quote:
I have progressed muchly over that time and YWS has helped me.
'Muchly' is not a word. =)

614 Reviews

Thu Jan 04, 2007 7:38 pm
Swires says...

Also, I like the title of this thread ('The Modern Prometheus'), simply cos that's the subtitle of Mary Shelley's Frankenstein

-- Thats where I got it from lol.

As for "muchly" its netspeak to add humour and slight immaturity:

as recorded in the urban dictionary:

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=muchly

its not a real word but its a fun word. Im really desperate to defend this arnt I lol?

Your writing style is like tolkiens ELeinasari, only without the background overload.

If you don't sign up for a review team, you're basically saying you're okay with canine amphibian metamorphosis.
— Nate