z

Young Writers Society

Spare a smile for a naive new person...I'll smile back!

378 Reviews

Reviews: 378
Tue Dec 12, 2006 5:37 pm
sokool15 says...

Salutations, felicitations, tenderness and laughter for ever after to everybody out there! (or at least the ones reading this)
The other day I was on Gooooogle, randomly typing in words (hey, it's fun). Well, I'd just finished a short story that I was pretty pleased with, so I typed in 'short story competitions for young writers'. Well, I came up with about 4,762 links to different sites, not only for competitions, but also for 'young writers' and 'short stories'. Well, as I scrolled down the endless list my eye was caught by that attractive word, 'free' beside the link to 'young writer's society'. I clicked on it and it sent me to the opening page. I read some of the poetry and the comments posted there, and I was really impressed by the professional advice given by some of those people! It looked really fun, so, needless to say...
I joined. So here I am, eagerly looking forward to having my work torn apart, savaged and in all other ways violated by the carnivorous critics...and to be buffeted emotionally and mentally by the crude winds of avid critique.
So, to close...a toast!
Here's to you and success to all of your endeavors, dearest reader!
Thanks for listening to my rampage.
I hope sincerely to remain, yours always,
Naive New Person (I'll get over it soon)

PS. In case you were wondering (admit it, of course you were wondering!), I am also a musician.
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
~Albert Einstein

459 Reviews

Reviews: 459
Tue Dec 12, 2006 8:18 pm
Poor Imp says...

Greetings and sulatary welcome to you, Sokool. ^_^

YWS will forgive you a thousand times for n00b naivete as long as you're brave enough to post - critiquing and your own writing. ^_~

Sokool wrote: So here I am, eagerly looking forward to having my work torn apart, savaged and in all other ways violated by the carnivorous critics...and to be buffeted emotionally and mentally by the crude winds of avid critique.

Alliterative and true - I'll look forward to reading your prose and critiquing. Anyhow, aside from all the deftly flowing language and courtesies, if you have any extraneous - or not so extraneous - questions, feel free to PM me, Imp, as a moderator, or any of my fellows. 'Tis our dutry, naturally, to be helpful. ^_^

The FAQ though has got lots of answers as well.

And that's the welcome shpiel. Welcome again!

IMP
ex umbris et imaginibus in veritatem

"There is adventure in simply being among those we love, and among the things we love -- and beauty, too."
-Lloyd Alexander

93 Reviews

Reviews: 93
Tue Dec 12, 2006 8:40 pm
Broken Wings says...

Welcome Sokool...

I'm sure you'll enjoy it here! I'm looking forward to seeing your work and perhaps get some of your critique myself!

...Yeah...I think that's about it. =D

--Wings
"Admitting that you don't like reading is admitting that you don't have an imagination." -- Broken Wings

694 Reviews

Reviews: 694
Tue Dec 12, 2006 8:57 pm
Via says...

Hey!

Welcome to the YWS! I'm Meg, I'm a poetry mod [naturally, I also write it] and write fiction! What do you write?

Anyway, enjoy the site and I look forward to reading your work!
Meg :wink:
My Literary and Arts Blog

"I think I'd miss you even if we'd never met." -The Wedding Date

161 Reviews

Reviews: 161
Tue Dec 12, 2006 10:47 pm
Cassandra says...

Hi, and welcome to YWS! So what do you like to write? Poetry? Stories? I'm a fiction writer myself.

PM me if you have any questions and I'll be sure to help. :D

--Cass
"All God does is watch us and kill us when we get boring. We must never, ever be boring."
-Chuck Palahniuk

1259 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1259
Tue Dec 12, 2006 11:09 pm
Firestarter says...

Hey! Glad to see you've joined because you were impressed by the professional critters out there.

It's good to see that.

I'm Jack, by the way.
Nate wrote:And if YWS ever does become a company, Jack will be the President of European Operations. In fact, I'm just going to call him that anyways.

488 Reviews

Reviews: 488
Wed Dec 13, 2006 1:10 am
Meshugenah says...

Hi! *waves* good to see another crazy writer musician out there! What instrument?

Do you write just prose, or poetry, too? I would hope so, if you were poking through the poetry forums. I'm one of those mod-types who haunts the entire forum, but I love poetry, and tend to hide there when I have the time to give a proper (er... ripping apart) crit.

Good to have you here! If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask!
***Under the Responsibility of S.P.E.W.***
(Sadistic Perplexion of Everyone's Wits)

Medieval Lit! Come here to find out who Chaucer plagiarized and translated - and why and how it worked in the late 1300s.

I <3 Rydia

Random avatar

Reviews: 1
Wed Dec 13, 2006 1:15 am
BlueStone says...

MESH SAID: "er... ripping apart"

psh. like you could.

*drinks all the wine*
away

798 Reviews

Reviews: 798
Wed Dec 13, 2006 2:51 am
Areida says...

Hey, welcome to the YWS! I'm Areida, but you can call me Ari if you want. It sounds like you're going to fit riiiiiight in. Just so long as you've got a healthy dose of insanity. :twisted:

PM me if you have any questions, 'kay? See you around! :D
Got YWS?

"Most of us have far more courage than we ever dreamed we possessed."
- Dale Carnegie

324 Reviews

Reviews: 324
Wed Dec 13, 2006 1:33 pm
-KayJuran- says...

Hi Sokool.

It seems I haven't welcomed you yet... *shakes head*

Anyway! Welcome to YWS, and I hope you have a good time here. There are some good critters here, and it can do wonders for your writing just being here a while. (At least, that's what I think. ;) )

What genres do you like to write? I'll look out for your stuff in the lit. forums.

Kay
"There you go - sausages à la bread!" - Blue.

378 Reviews

Reviews: 378
Wed Dec 13, 2006 3:33 pm
sokool15 says...

You all have my eternal gratitude for making me feel so welcome! Thanks!
Okay, on to duty. I seem to have som FAQ's already!
~I write some fantasy, some comedy, and some general fiction...I like poetry, but I don't write a lot of it. Let's just say...it's not my forte. (that wasn't meant to rhyme, I swear it!)
~I play the violin - classical and progressive acoustic. I also sing.

So, thank you all again for your warm welcome. I'll remember your offers for PM-ing, (you may regret it!). I'm already having a great time!
~sokool

P.S. I've already posted one story in the 'general fiction' section, it's a short story about a girl who's brother has gotten into...let's just say, a bit of a scrape.
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
~Albert Einstein

Random avatar

Reviews: 665
Wed Dec 13, 2006 3:35 pm
deleted6 says...

Hey welcome Sokool to YWS the best writing site on the web hope you love it here as much as i do. :D.
We get off to the rhythm of the trigger and destruction. Fallujah to New Orleans with impunity to kill. We are the hidden fist of the free market.
We are the ink, we are the quill.
[The Ink And The Quill (Be Afraid) - Anti-Flag]

376 Reviews

Reviews: 376
Wed Dec 13, 2006 3:41 pm
Trident says...

Hello Sokool and welcome to one of the greatest places on the Internet. YWS has consumed much of my life now (besides these darn college finals of course).
Perception is everything.

64 Reviews

Reviews: 64
Sat Dec 16, 2006 7:52 pm
Mr. Everyone says...

welcome sokool 15 =) grats on being alive hope you fit in here, if you have any questions if i were u i wouldnt ask me im sorta newbie here too lol

well keep writing and =) happy gaming (=
~Everyone~

=) *wave*

Random avatar

Reviews: 142
Sat Dec 16, 2006 8:49 pm
Doctor Kitty says...

*smiles*

Welcome!

I think I have thankfully avoided being quoted.
— Lavvie